Peng Challenge Thread

So I visited some friends working on a project in some rented warehouse space over in St. Paul this afternoon. On my way out of the parking lot I noticed a tableau of Nature right in front of my very eyes.

A rabbit was trying to coax a teeny little baby rabbit (I assume it was hers) across the parking lot and was continually beset by a bigass crow. The mother bunny would rush at the crow and the crow would flap and try to get around her and get at the little kit for supper. I stopped my car and hoped that the engine noise would scare off the crow, but it didn't work - in fact the crow lunged in and nipped up the kit in its beak and got a few feet off the ground before dropping the poor thing.

I stopped my car and got out and walked over to them. That stopped the crow but then the mama rabbit started rushing at me to scare me off. If she kept that up the crow was going to get behind her and natural selection was going to work its magic. So I circled around to the bird and it finally flew lazily off, no doubt cursing me the whole way. Unfortunately at the same time I must have gotten too close to the mama rabbit because she finally abandoned her kit in the lot and loped off into the weeds from where they probably started.

And the poor baby was so tuckered from being chased and grabbed and dropped that he just collapsed.

So I got my dog's towel out of the back seat, picked up the baby bunny in the towel and brought it over to the weeds, laid it down behind the sign for some cover, and backed away, hoping that the mama rabbit would smell her exhausted kit just a few feet away and resume her care.

As I drove away she still hadn't moved and I have no idea how it ended.

Now during the drive home I thought of constructing a lesson by metaphor out of the event, or maybe even a humorous story juxtaposing my evident coldness with the warmth I keep hidden, or some crap like that. Maybe the parking lot was the MBT and the crow was Papa Khann - desperate for a win but unable to achieve it because of my Genius CM skills. Maybe the mama bunny was Boo and the attempt to cross the parking lot was his attempt to get me to send him a setup - valiant but doomed to fail.

But then it hit me. None of that was true. The real answer was that the parking lot was Life, the mama bunny was Hope, the hungry Crow was Death, and I was Futility.

I love a good metaphor, and I somehow refrained from naming the baby bunny "Seanachai".

Here's hoping that no one has to spend too many days as the baby bunny.

-dale

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You idiot, if you used the dog's towel to move the bunny, the smell of dog is now all over it and the mother rabbit won't go near it. You doomed the bunny. What'll you do for an encore now, club a baby harp seal? You disgust me. I'm reporting you to PETA. And Greenpeace. And the Sierra Club. It's time your type was exterminated so that there can be peace and love and kindness in the world like there is supposed to be. Hallelujah! Jesus saves. Amen.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

You idiot, if you used the dog's towel to move the bunny, the smell of dog is now all over it and the mother rabbit won't go near it. You doomed the bunny. What'll you do for an encore now, club a baby harp seal? You disgust me. I'm reporting you to PETA. And Greenpeace. And the Sierra Club. It's time your type was exterminated so that there can be peace and love and kindness in the world like there is supposed to be. Hallelujah! Jesus saves. Amen.

Michael

Best juxtaposition of two posts on this freakin' thread in a fecking coon's age (no, Gunslingr 3, put the robe and hood away, I meant 'racoons').

Kudos to Dalem and that bastard Emrys for the first good laugh I've had in ages.

Jesus, I'm still wiping the tears away. I'd tell my own 'what should I have done' story from a lunatic doper friend of mine, but it would seem...anticlimax.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Jesus, I'm still wiping the tears away. I'd tell my own 'what should I have done' story from a lunatic doper friend of mine, but it would seem...anticlimax.

You are nothing if not an anticlimax.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

Don't pester me, eel eater! I find your sig line offensive. Please remove it.

Kitty

You want to cook for me, don't you? I may be a fool, but a fool can always tell... </font>

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

For a brief moment I was... perplexed.

But the picture of a fat rat lying in a corner is much more fitting to Seanachai anyway.

Silence, you bugger. I may be Kitty's to make mock of, but not yours, Monsieur 'My Underpants Always Fit My Caliber, Which is Too Tight'.

I'm your Ramekin, Lady Kitty. C'mon, and fill me up. You know you want to.

Bugger. I think I should go to sleep. I think I'm suffering from classic cooking role reversal...

Dalem, you did a good thing to try to save the little bunny. Hope it made out okay. At least you gave it a chance.

Your metaphor was interesting.

And...by the way....My sister has had several pet rats! And one of them was a rat I saved from my zoology class in college! :mad: Unfortunately its name wasn't Seanachai[b/]....it was Ricky.

Persephone

Originally posted by Persephone:

Proof that there is someone OLDER than Joe on the MBT!

Emrys is 60!

Persephone

I don't believe that Emeryboard is a member of the CessPool ... of course at my age my memory isn't all it used to be. Despite that I cling to my other distinguishing characteristic in the CessPool, that I'm the oldest active CessPooler ... the OTHER is, of course, that I'm the most devastingly handsome and charming CessPudlian.

Joe