CMAK Preview in Southern California

ACTOR

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things went fine. The turn out was smaller than last time, but the hard core folks turned up as usual.

I will let them provide their thoughts on what they saw, but the comments I heard were very favorable. This was particularly true when we compared the state of the game (CMAK) versus CMBB at the same point in the process (Sneak Preview time).

We also agreed that we should get together from time to time just to play as teams against one another...only you really have to watch Kettler and Pvt. Ryan...They take forever to plot out a single turn. :D

Things went fine. The turn out was smaller than last time, but the hard core folks turned up as usual.

I will let them provide their thoughts on what they saw, but the comments I heard were very favorable. This was particularly true when we compared the state of the game (CMAK) versus CMBB at the same point in the process (Sneak Preview time).

We also agreed that we should get together from time to time just to play as teams against one another...only you really have to watch Kettler and Pvt. Ryan...They take forever to plot out a single turn. :D

Me - hard core? We had a great time, although only three of us showed up. The donut to attendee ratio was quite high. smile.gif It was more of a CM get together than a sneak preview because we basically just started palying and forgot to check out many of the new features. The vehicles look great and the Brits have cute knobby knees. The gameplay is essentially the same as CMBB and the interface is clean. I don't know what else to say other than the rest of you losers missed out on a lot of fun. Thank you, Bill, for your hospitality.

Me - hard core? We had a great time, although only three of us showed up. The donut to attendee ratio was quite high. smile.gif It was more of a CM get together than a sneak preview because we basically just started palying and forgot to check out many of the new features. The vehicles look great and the Brits have cute knobby knees. The gameplay is essentially the same as CMBB and the interface is clean. I don't know what else to say other than the rest of you losers missed out on a lot of fun. Thank you, Bill, for your hospitality.

Subject to certain embargoed details, here's an attempt to give a sense of CMAK in the form we saw it. ACTOR hosted in his wonderful new Corona home, and the nosh was plentiful, covered all the major junk food groups, and was highly calorific, with the exception of the salad I brought. Unable to decide between homemade chocolate chip cookies and Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts, I compromised by eating lots of both, drank a cup of ACTOR's Maui trip Hawaiian coffee and ate three delicious hot dogs he grilled, plus quantities of dips and chip and drank much soda.

Overall Impression

CMAK is in far better shape than CMBB was at its sneak preview. In the three scenarios observed, no clown tanks were seen, and the vehicles and armor looked amazing. Weapon rendering is vastly improved and should do much to soothe lovers of MGs, mortars and the like. Open vehicles now have two crewmen, at least in an example I saw, greatly improving appearance. CMAK ran flawlessly in both hotseat and TCP/IP under Windows XE. ACTOR or BFC can comment on the Mac situation, but I won't. Certain long sought Allied vehicles were seen, and this includes versions no one asked for but which figured prominently in North Africa. Desert camouflage on British AFVs looked great, and the "skyscapers with guns" (Grants) looked tall and imposing, especially with all guns blazing away. DAK armor looks like it should, and moving vehicles from all sides throw up dust clouds, visible even when the vehicles themselves aren't. ACTOR told us that it was quite exciting to see dust clouds steadily advancing on one's position. Pacific mod enthusiasts rejoice--palm trees at last! And they sway! The terrain seen looked pretty realistic, and there are new types to master, together with new tactics. There have been several interface changes, and, I believe, some new commands have been added as well.

Three Battles

The aliens must've been busy last Saturday, for half the confirmed attendees never made it, making for a cozy, low key day of maximum gaming and minimum chaos. Not to mention excellent player to doughnut ratios! We had the use of two digital projectors.

The first battle was a combined arm night attack in the Tunisian? desert by the Allies against the Axis (Darren & I vs. the AI). Though progress was made in the 2/3 of the battle we fought, it rapidly became apparent that even good infantry is highly vulnerable on the almost coverless ground, especially at ~200m visibility ranges against a dug-in foe. If you disliked trenches in CMBB, then you'll hate them in the desert. Skillful use of smoke is a must, but our infantry still was brutalized, while our light armor miraculously survived several penetrations in one sector, but died in another. When we knocked off, our real armor was intact, but hurting on ammo. We were still fighting over the forward flags, too.

I saw the second battle only in passing, as I was in food acquisition mode during part of it, and ACTOR was using it mainly to show off Grants, DAK armor, palm trees, Arab houses and other goodies. The Gazala period engagement featured German armor unexpectedly sticking its head into an Allied hornet's nest, forcing the Germans to deploy from road march into combat formations while under fire. Call the pucker factor high.

The third battle was in Crete, and pitted Darren and I (with input from Thumpre) as Axis FJ against ACTOR and others unknown upstairs, with his son Doug shuttling up and down to watch the battle from both sides. For real fun, try attacking uphill, without even remotely adequate fire support, against a hidden, dug-in foe, using troops which start basically spent. Much of the route of advance is barren and swept by withering crossfires. The covered route further tires the men. A single Allied weapon stopped a depleted company for several turns all by itself. We ran out of time (and weren't playing slowly--much to do when attacking) but found our casualties quite historical. The new terrain types looked great and will be a boon to scenario designers.

My apologies if I left anyone out, and kudos to Daisy's (German Shepherd-Corgi mix) superb ball fetching and blistering speed. Thanks again to ACTOR and various family elements for a superb (all too short) day of gaming!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ November 12, 2003, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Subject to certain embargoed details, here's an attempt to give a sense of CMAK in the form we saw it. ACTOR hosted in his wonderful new Corona home, and the nosh was plentiful, covered all the major junk food groups, and was highly calorific, with the exception of the salad I brought. Unable to decide between homemade chocolate chip cookies and Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts, I compromised by eating lots of both, drank a cup of ACTOR's Maui trip Hawaiian coffee and ate three delicious hot dogs he grilled, plus quantities of dips and chip and drank much soda.

Overall Impression

CMAK is in far better shape than CMBB was at its sneak preview. In the three scenarios observed, no clown tanks were seen, and the vehicles and armor looked amazing. Weapon rendering is vastly improved and should do much to soothe lovers of MGs, mortars and the like. Open vehicles now have two crewmen, at least in an example I saw, greatly improving appearance. CMAK ran flawlessly in both hotseat and TCP/IP under Windows XE. ACTOR or BFC can comment on the Mac situation, but I won't. Certain long sought Allied vehicles were seen, and this includes versions no one asked for but which figured prominently in North Africa. Desert camouflage on British AFVs looked great, and the "skyscapers with guns" (Grants) looked tall and imposing, especially with all guns blazing away. DAK armor looks like it should, and moving vehicles from all sides throw up dust clouds, visible even when the vehicles themselves aren't. ACTOR told us that it was quite exciting to see dust clouds steadily advancing on one's position. Pacific mod enthusiasts rejoice--palm trees at last! And they sway! The terrain seen looked pretty realistic, and there are new types to master, together with new tactics. There have been several interface changes, and, I believe, some new commands have been added as well.

Three Battles

The aliens must've been busy last Saturday, for half the confirmed attendees never made it, making for a cozy, low key day of maximum gaming and minimum chaos. Not to mention excellent player to doughnut ratios! We had the use of two digital projectors.

The first battle was a combined arm night attack in the Tunisian? desert by the Allies against the Axis (Darren & I vs. the AI). Though progress was made in the 2/3 of the battle we fought, it rapidly became apparent that even good infantry is highly vulnerable on the almost coverless ground, especially at ~200m visibility ranges against a dug-in foe. If you disliked trenches in CMBB, then you'll hate them in the desert. Skillful use of smoke is a must, but our infantry still was brutalized, while our light armor miraculously survived several penetrations in one sector, but died in another. When we knocked off, our real armor was intact, but hurting on ammo. We were still fighting over the forward flags, too.

I saw the second battle only in passing, as I was in food acquisition mode during part of it, and ACTOR was using it mainly to show off Grants, DAK armor, palm trees, Arab houses and other goodies. The Gazala period engagement featured German armor unexpectedly sticking its head into an Allied hornet's nest, forcing the Germans to deploy from road march into combat formations while under fire. Call the pucker factor high.

The third battle was in Crete, and pitted Darren and I (with input from Thumpre) as Axis FJ against ACTOR and others unknown upstairs, with his son Doug shuttling up and down to watch the battle from both sides. For real fun, try attacking uphill, without even remotely adequate fire support, against a hidden, dug-in foe, using troops which start basically spent. Much of the route of advance is barren and swept by withering crossfires. The covered route further tires the men. A single Allied weapon stopped a depleted company for several turns all by itself. We ran out of time (and weren't playing slowly--much to do when attacking) but found our casualties quite historical. The new terrain types looked great and will be a boon to scenario designers.

My apologies if I left anyone out, and kudos to Daisy's (German Shepherd-Corgi mix) superb ball fetching and blistering speed. Thanks again to ACTOR and various family elements for a superb (all too short) day of gaming!

Regards,

John Kettler

Overall Impression

Three Battles

Regards,

John Kettler