July 1940 - Panzers gone Weald

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Does this mean that Andreas is the spiritual, moral, and intellectual equivalent of Snoop Doggy Dog?

Yes, but at least this "project" has kept him from posting so I guess there is a good side to it as well.

And when will I get to blow up Soddball's house? Or burrow, as the case may be.

Take a number. I got first shot.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interface2.jpg

(Probably) final interface for the Tommies. The planes were selected by Paul, come from BFC's air war games. I quite like the idea (small wonder, since it was mine), since the Battle of Britain hinged so much on the airwar. Anyway, they look cool.

interfaceboche.jpg

(Probably) final interface for the Boche.

portee2.jpg

Portees, courtesy of junk2drive and BFC stock graphics, on the march.

portee.jpg

pillbox.jpg

Gautrek's unweathered pillbox guarding the Weald.

Paul has done a sterling job finding mods that make the whole thing much more believable for looks. here you can see (I think) Ed's bumpy grass and trees (from CMBO?), Juju's 3D tree bases, making up the looks.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Which one was that?

Regarding pubs - the problem with having a pub mod is that there would then be lots and lots of pubs on the map.

Since this is Kent, and not Dingle in Ireland, that would be a bit weird.

Well lots and lots of pubs seem to be the norm for where i live.

Not that we have a major drink problem in the UK or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall that SPI's 1970's game Seelowe had a July scenario that was at once both the "least likely and most likely" to occur. Least likely because it would have presupposed that the Germans would have had to have made plans to invade Britain right after France fell, yet in reality they had anticipated a much longer campaign in France. But most likely in that such a move "could have caught the Royal Navy with it's pants down".

Originally posted by Sequoia:

Greetings,

May I ask why the invasion is taking place in July? Seelowe was scheduled for September, not that there really was much chance of it ever taking place as long as there was a Royal Navy.

Hi Sequoia,

you are correct. The hard facts of a possible Invasion of England can be outlined as follows:

http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:zMQ8z7tzYXgJ:uk.geocities.com/pillboxesuk/history.html+west+front+sealion&hl=de

1.) On 16th July 1940 Hitler issued his Directive 16 "...I have decided to begin to prepare for, and if necessary to carry out an invasion of England.." The operation was given the codeword Sealion

2.) For the invasion to succeed the Germans had to defeat the Royal Air Force. The air offensive began on 12th August. At first the Germans concentrated on the radar stations and airfields of the RAF. Unknown to the Germans these tactics soon had the RAF almost on its knees.

3.) With the failure of the German Air Force to defeat the Royal Air Force the German High Command became increasingly nervous about the chances of a successful invasion. Initally it was intended to invade in August but on 3rd September the High Command postponed Sealion to the 21st and then the 27th which would be the last time that year the tides would be suitable.

4.) On 15th September the German Air Force launched a major attack to destroy the RAF. The Germans lost twice as many planes as the RAF. This signalled the end for Sealion. Hitler had it postponed indefinitely, while his attention was drawn towards the Soviet Union.

However, we made the design decision to base the collection of scens we are issuing with our Seeloewe project on a book written by Kenneth Macksey due to various reasons.

A rough outline what might have happened can be found at my site:

http://www.thedesertfox.net/Sealion.htm

besides the timeline presented above you can have a small glimpse on some of the scens we will include in our project.

cheers

Helge

Desertfox, good to see your site updated.

Sequoia, My idea was to continue on after 1 August, with the Allies holding on to the North. Maybe Scotland or further south as a MLR. Then Nov 1940, Roosevelt loses the election and the USA joins the war. Unprepared, they can only give troops and minimal armor.

This way you could have lots of different Allied composite groups, winter battles etc. against early Axis.

But maybe it is too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to Andrea's latest creation.

This link posted more for interest that great CM value, but may be of use .......

OLD MAPS UK

Enter a UK placename and it will bring up an old map of the area. Most seem to be between 1860 - 1890 So no where near WW2 timeline, however the maps 60 years before the war probably have more in common with the time than current maps 60 years after it !

I believe the 'Holien estate' may be marked on the map of the area!

Either way ... Its hard to resist exploring your local area 120 years ago ! Sometimes hard to get orientated .... churches are usually a good 'common' start point.

Lou2000