What will happen to CMAK when the new engine arrives

Hans

I think Michael is right. There are those who forget about a game when a new one comes out and those,who no matter what the new game has to offer,will never remove the older ones from their hard drive.

I think the CM series will still have a very long life. I can understand why whenever I get ASL out and play with my brother at our summer BBQ's.

[ April 22, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

I think Michael is right. There are those who forget about a game when a new one comes out and those,who no matter what the new game has to offer,will never remove the older ones from their hard drive.

I think the CM series will still have a very long life. I can understand why whenever I get ASL out and play with my brother at our summer BBQ's.

[ April 22, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

2 years off for CMX2 equals alot of campaigning time with CM.

And thankfully the work of modders and individuals like Mike T (CMMOS for CMAK) and Battlefront (future patches) are not allowing the planned obsolesence of the CM series to cause premature stagnation.

2 years off for CMX2 equals alot of campaigning time with CM.

And thankfully the work of modders and individuals like Mike T (CMMOS for CMAK) and Battlefront (future patches) are not allowing the planned obsolesence of the CM series to cause premature stagnation.

I can understand that CMBB is adequate today, but CMBO - ugly (I was shocked by its ugliness compared to CMBB or CMAK last time I played it). It looks so - primitive. Sorry if someone´s taste is opposed.

Yes, I am not an English native speaking person.

I can understand that CMBB is adequate today, but CMBO - ugly (I was shocked by its ugliness compared to CMBB or CMAK last time I played it). It looks so - primitive. Sorry if someone´s taste is opposed.

Originally posted by Lucho:

Hehhh... ugly transcends language.

Originally posted by Lucho:

Hehhh... ugly transcends language.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

look at how much effort is put into spww2 a dos based game. like classic cars, classic games will continue to be played for a long time. some people are buying old computers just to play old dos games.

its the gameplay, not the eye candy, that make it last.

Indeed, and for those of us who don't go out and buy a new computer every year its a good solution. That said after a few years of CMX2 I think these older games will start to fade away much like Big Time Software's older games like Over the Reich etc.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

look at how much effort is put into spww2 a dos based game. like classic cars, classic games will continue to be played for a long time. some people are buying old computers just to play old dos games.

its the gameplay, not the eye candy, that make it last.

Indeed, and for those of us who don't go out and buy a new computer every year its a good solution. That said after a few years of CMX2 I think these older games will start to fade away much like Big Time Software's older games like Over the Reich etc.

Originally posted by Panzerman:

That said after a few years of CMX2 I think these older games will start to fade away much like Big Time Software's older games like Over the Reich etc.

That may not be a good comparison. Although I bought and played both games, I always felt Over the Reich and Actung Spitfire! were fundamentally flawed in ways that the CM series is not. A 2D representation of plane to plane combat in a very three dimensional medium just never really worked for me. It's regrettable that BTS didn't decide to do operational level WW II air combat as it seems to me that there is a vacant niche and a crying need for that.

Michael

Originally posted by Panzerman:

That said after a few years of CMX2 I think these older games will start to fade away much like Big Time Software's older games like Over the Reich etc.

That may not be a good comparison. Although I bought and played both games, I always felt Over the Reich and Actung Spitfire! were fundamentally flawed in ways that the CM series is not. A 2D representation of plane to plane combat in a very three dimensional medium just never really worked for me. It's regrettable that BTS didn't decide to do operational level WW II air combat as it seems to me that there is a vacant niche and a crying need for that.

Michael

True. I know that unless I get a new computer in the next few years, which I most likely will not, CMX2 will be unplayable for me anyway; so I'll still be using the current games most likely.

I agree about the air combat, I liked the earlier games, and its sad that they did not go forward with that.

True. I know that unless I get a new computer in the next few years, which I most likely will not, CMX2 will be unplayable for me anyway; so I'll still be using the current games most likely.

I agree about the air combat, I liked the earlier games, and its sad that they did not go forward with that.

Interesting note, although I didn't plan it that way as CMBB and CMAK have come out I have abandoned the earlier games completely.

Sad about air games, one of the finest games I ever played was Flight Commander II - even designed a monster scenario for it.

I always thought a modern/WWI and WWII air operational type game was an excellent idea.

But then I've always wanted a joint operational/ tactical coastal warfare game too!

Interesting note, although I didn't plan it that way as CMBB and CMAK have come out I have abandoned the earlier games completely.

Sad about air games, one of the finest games I ever played was Flight Commander II - even designed a monster scenario for it.

I always thought a modern/WWI and WWII air operational type game was an excellent idea.

But then I've always wanted a joint operational/ tactical coastal warfare game too!

When the World at War Stalingrad game came out, I was sure it was the best wargame ever. And it probably was at the time. Does anyone play that anymore? Evolution is a good thing. CMAK is the best wargame ever right now, as far as I'm concerned. However, there is still plenty of room for evolution. If not Battlefront, then someone else will do it.