What will happen to CMAK when the new engine arrives

Hans

When the World at War Stalingrad game came out, I was sure it was the best wargame ever. And it probably was at the time. Does anyone play that anymore? Evolution is a good thing. CMAK is the best wargame ever right now, as far as I'm concerned. However, there is still plenty of room for evolution. If not Battlefront, then someone else will do it.

Egads I just had a horrible thought. CMX2 depends really on one guy, Charles for the programming. What would happen if he got hit on the head and started designing games for ten year old girls? Titles like Barbie vs Ken at Leningrad? Or worse yet he joins some weird kult and becomes a peace freak and designs a game where you go on virtual tours of old battle fields and indentify the different types of flowers....... it gives one a cold chill.

Egads I just had a horrible thought. CMX2 depends really on one guy, Charles for the programming. What would happen if he got hit on the head and started designing games for ten year old girls? Titles like Barbie vs Ken at Leningrad? Or worse yet he joins some weird kult and becomes a peace freak and designs a game where you go on virtual tours of old battle fields and indentify the different types of flowers....... it gives one a cold chill.

Originally posted by Hans:

a game where you go on virtual tours of old battle fields and indentify the different types of flowers....... it gives one a cold chill.

And what's wrong with military types having a knowledge of botany? ;) Two of the best wartime poems ever written, "In Flanders Field" by Col. John McCrae, and "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer, have botanical influences. Granted, the authors didn't identify the macrophytes by genus and species, and the poems were written in WW1 ... well, you get the idea :D

Originally posted by Hans:

a game where you go on virtual tours of old battle fields and indentify the different types of flowers....... it gives one a cold chill.

And what's wrong with military types having a knowledge of botany? ;) Two of the best wartime poems ever written, "In Flanders Field" by Col. John McCrae, and "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer, have botanical influences. Granted, the authors didn't identify the macrophytes by genus and species, and the poems were written in WW1 ... well, you get the idea :D

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

When the World at War Stalingrad game came out, I was sure it was the best wargame ever. And it probably was at the time. Does anyone play that anymore? Evolution is a good thing. CMAK is the best wargame ever right now, as far as I'm concerned. However, there is still plenty of room for evolution. If not Battlefront, then someone else will do it.

I never got around to playing Stalingrad or Utah Beach, but I did buy and play Operation Crusader. It was a very frustrating game. It had a a great deal going for it, such as tracking supply and casualties, fatigue, etc. But it had no free set-up options, which really clobbered replay value and the AI sucked big sour apples. Since it was basically no good for path finding, I had to manually click on every single hex I wanted a unit to travel through, which got tedious with more than a couple dozen units in play.

So I would have rated the system very promising but needing a lot more thought and programming work.

Michael

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

I never got around to playing Stalingrad or Utah Beach, but I did buy and play Operation Crusader. It was a very frustrating game. It had a a great deal going for it, such as tracking supply and casualties, fatigue, etc. But it had no free set-up options, which really clobbered replay value and the AI sucked big sour apples. Since it was basically no good for path finding, I had to manually click on every single hex I wanted a unit to travel through, which got tedious with more than a couple dozen units in play.

So I would have rated the system very promising but needing a lot more thought and programming work.

Michael

What is the real problem here?

We want something when we can't have it.Once we have it we want something better. What we have is never good enough. I have CMBO, CMBB and CMAK, al three different but all good in their own league. Play it for what it is. The astounding part of these games they can never get boring. Every time your enemy reacts different.

" They will run and not grow weary, they will stand and not fall"

We want something when we can't have it.Once we have it we want something better. What we have is never good enough. I have CMBO, CMBB and CMAK, al three different but all good in their own league. Play it for what it is. The astounding part of these games they can never get boring. Every time your enemy reacts different.

" They will run and not grow weary, they will stand and not fall"

I took CMBO off of my hard drive after experiencing CMAK. I'm happy that CMBB, in my opinion, measured up to CMAK. Not as many graphical "bells and whistles" but still great. I much prefer to play CMBB. Must be the Eastern Front.

As far as CMX2 goes, all I can say is that I hope my current PC can handle it. From the replies that Battlefront has sent out, they say it's too early to release that kind of info.

I took CMBO off of my hard drive after experiencing CMAK. I'm happy that CMBB, in my opinion, measured up to CMAK. Not as many graphical "bells and whistles" but still great. I much prefer to play CMBB. Must be the Eastern Front.

As far as CMX2 goes, all I can say is that I hope my current PC can handle it. From the replies that Battlefront has sent out, they say it's too early to release that kind of info.

posted 04-30-2004 09:14 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE!!! HERE!!!

HERE!!! HERE!!!

Its hard to say what's going to happen to CMAK when we don't have a clue what the new game engine's going to be like. What if its entirely unmoddable, for example? Its been years since I've touched a plastic kit so I'm going to still need CM around to fill my "virtual modeling" needs! Maybe the new engine will be so very VERY different in concept from CM that both engines will be able to live side-by-side without competition.

Maybe CMAK will eventually go store-shelf retail like CMBO did, sacrificing per-unit profits for wider distribution. That'll bring more people to CM, which will in turn provide more of a prospective sales base for the new game engine. I really doubt they'll simply pull the plug on CMAK like last year's car model.

Its hard to say what's going to happen to CMAK when we don't have a clue what the new game engine's going to be like. What if its entirely unmoddable, for example? Its been years since I've touched a plastic kit so I'm going to still need CM around to fill my "virtual modeling" needs! Maybe the new engine will be so very VERY different in concept from CM that both engines will be able to live side-by-side without competition.

Maybe CMAK will eventually go store-shelf retail like CMBO did, sacrificing per-unit profits for wider distribution. That'll bring more people to CM, which will in turn provide more of a prospective sales base for the new game engine. I really doubt they'll simply pull the plug on CMAK like last year's car model.

CMx2 will be so incredible that there is no way we will be able to go back. BB and AK are so close, that I play both, but I haven't touched BO since the day BB came out.

CMx2 will be a much bigger quantum leap than from BO to BB/AK, I suspect. Charles will shock and amaze us, I have no doubt. So let's hope that he doesn't come to harm, as the poster aboved fretted over....

CMx2 will be so incredible that there is no way we will be able to go back. BB and AK are so close, that I play both, but I haven't touched BO since the day BB came out.

CMx2 will be a much bigger quantum leap than from BO to BB/AK, I suspect. Charles will shock and amaze us, I have no doubt. So let's hope that he doesn't come to harm, as the poster aboved fretted over....