Aussie Sounds

Kitty

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kitty,

Calm down, I wasn't suggesting I was ripped off.

Brian asked me to read some dialogue and then later mentioned that BTS/BFC were going to give me a freeby for it.

I was very happy to do it for free (after all I could say 45256245.wav or whatever was me) and never expected any payment. The disappointment of course was when Brian said it had arrived. I rescheduled my week on my way to pick it up and then suffered the disappointment of finding I had a free copy that ran on an inferior platform.

Not to worry - that's now someone's Christmas present and I've ordered my own Mac copy. When it arrives I'll see if its my voice or not.

I must admit though its a bit weird reading "we're all going to die" and trying to sound realistic in someone's living room at 2100 on a Wednesday.

[ December 10, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Matt was joking. Like when he tells people to have a nice cup of "SHUT THE HELL UP!!"

Like when the Wafflers :mad: :mad: :mad: and GRGRGAAAARRGHHHH!!!! at each other.

Ignore the last example. We really do growl and chuck 'splodies at each other with venom. :D

[ December 11, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Originally posted by Kitty:

Mace didn't seem to take it that way and as he's too nice to say it, I'll do it for him, because I don't care what happens to me. You don't treat volunteer donors to your game like that. Don't even TEMPT me to get into other stuff that what . . . oh, never mind. You wouldn't believe me anyway.

Kitty

Well I hope I have not added to the problem by my poking fun at the Aussies. Please believe me when I say that all that I have posted in this Thread has been with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

My unworthy opinion is that his intent was to play along with the way the Thread was developing. It is funny when you look at it:

Customer: The sound is bad on this tape. Grr!!!

Company Rep: Well maam, it was your friend who made it!

Okay, maybe not the best humor. But humor can sometimes backfire as I have learned.

You cannot go too far wrong in giving the benefit of the doubt.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

I must admit though its a bit weird reading "we're all going to die" and trying to sound realistic in someone's living room at 2100 on a Wednesday.

Clearly not scripted by an Aussie either. There is no historical evidence that any Aussie uttered such an insipid phrase in battle. More like "We're all going to die of flamin' thirst if we don't get some bloody beer!".

Originally posted by Simon Fox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gibsonm:

Clearly not scripted by an Aussie either. There is no historical evidence that any Aussie uttered such an insipid phrase in battle. More like "We're all going to die of flamin' thirst if we don't get some bloody beer!". </font>

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

Please believe me when I say that all that I have posted in this Thread has been with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

And don't think there hasn't been a hellish number of complaints. Put it back in your mouth where it belongs, for God's sake. Everyone's afraid to let anyone get behind them.

That was you!!!!

Here I was easily routing a German combined arms force, my company of diggers had suffered about 5 casualties and some flaming drongo keeps yelling out "we're all going to die".

Being an aussie I had a keen interest in the wav files for this. Last night I spent some time going through them listening to the aussie voices and I thought that they tended to be using the language of present day australia and not the lanuage of the 30-40's. Some of the exclamations I would have expected to be present either wasnt there or I missed. They did sound australian to me by the way. Many of the soldiers in the war came from rural Australia which has a totally different slant than city language, this is even present today. A fairly good job done I thought considering all things.

Originally posted by UberFunBunny:

The CMAK Australians sound very uncouth.

I actually expected them to be more uncouth.

Simon,

I must admit sometimes I said "Bloody Hell", "Struth" or "Christ" when the script asked for phases that sounded a bit too Yank to me.

I note from the SOTW thread that a British tank crewman apparently is heard to say "son of a bitch, I've been hit" and this before the yanks with their stockings and choclate descended on the UK!

Anyway when my copy arrives I'll listen to the *.wav files (anyone know which ones are relevant) and see what all the fuss is about.

Geez, you're the voice talent, if the script is, "oh whats that word again...?oh yeah, CRAP, yeah thats it," then don't stick to it!

Maybe Baldy thought that if he just put any old "CRAP" in then someone with talent would get pissed off soon enough and mod it. Pretty clever really.

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

Well I hope I have not added to the problem by my poking fun at the Aussies. Please believe me when I say that all that I have posted in this Thread has been with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

Heh heh. Jimbo, that's not my cheek.

-le dale

Originally posted by Simon Fox:

Geez, you're the voice talent, if the script is, "oh whats that word again...?oh yeah, CRAP, yeah thats it," then don't stick to it!
Probably why I didn't.

Just remember Brian (an ex pat yank) and others contributed voices as far as I know. Hence my request for the suspect *.wav files to confirm what you are talking about.

Originally posted by UberFunBunny:

I'm wondering if Australian *ahem* talent was used for some of the New Zealand voices. Some of the New Zealanders sound dreadfully uncouth too.

Hate to say but..... :D

btw. I haven't checked yet but there was few 'Bloody' in the Aussie wavs. Is that uncouth enough?

Mace

Just for the record...the New Zealand voices in CMAK are 100% Aussie free! smile.gif There were no 'little Aussie battlers' involved in the making of these pure and unadulterated Kee-wee sounds, just a couple of dodgy half cut Wellingtonians...and some guy called Clazza :D