Possible Bug

I id'd 3 problems in this thread:

a) Men killed differ

B) Points for prisoners differ (but not htier number)

c) Rounding errors

ad a)

Look at the "Men killed". It explains part of the problem.

While the "total casualties" are always the same, the killed differ. IMHO they are calculated after the battle as a random number from the total causalties.

IIRC the same problem is in ops - you can have more killed in the last but one battle than in the AAR screen after the op is done.

BigDork - please do your test again but check not just the percentage but the killed and the captured, too. Depending on the killed (of both sides) you should get 59% or 60%.

ad B)

A bit strange is the prisoners - you get different points for the same number of prisoners? Do they calculate it depending on rank or wpn in the sqd? What were the prisoners? Which unit types and how many?

Differing points for the captured is another problem. Please check if the points are always the same for each side.

ad c)

The 3rd problem is the "40+59=99". A classic in statistics if you have rounding errors.

Calculating the points from your friends AAR you get

708 : 1040 or 40.5034325 : 59.4965675

Both rounded down? No, then you would always get 40:59

Or do they calculate internally using just one decimal (cutting the rest)- not exact but works in most calcs.

Example:

Points total: 1748.

100/1748= 5.7%

608/1748= 34.7%

Sum is 40.4% rounded to 40%

Same for Allies:

200/1748= 11.4%

799/1748= 45.7%

41/1748= 2.3%

Sum is 59.4% or 59%

Reminds me of what my old Algebra teacher said during my first term: "Computers make errors when calculating. But they do this amazingly fast."

Gruß

Joachim

Now that the mencount is different it can't be that anymore, but AMD and Intel do slightly different rouding on floating point arithmetic. Always makes for nice surprises for anyone who think FP is deterministic.

But this is a bug.

Can you manually count the men taken prisoner or were some moved off the map?

Not that it's 100% accurate, and not that it will <u>prove</u> anything, but I thought it might be interesting to plug in those figures from the screenshots in to the VL Planner at the Proving Grounds.

1st screenshot:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">VL Points: A:100 / D:200

Attacker

Totals: 708

Ratio: 0.676

40.32%

Defender

Totals: 1048

Ratio: 1.480

59.68%

Casualty Ratio:

1.32 Attacker to 1 Defender

Total Pts: 1756

Result: Allied Minor Victory</pre>