Tankfest, Bovington Tank Museum, 23 May

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend one of the features about the car park myself.

There's a bunch of turrets embedded in the ground on one side, but that's in a childrens' play area, and might look a bit... dodgy.

There's two tanks flanking the entrance - a Challenger prototype and a late mark Chieftain, but that's a bit obvious => busy

There's a large, ugly black tank on the far side, which would be ideal, although that's just by the entrance to the army base. Heaven knows what the guards would make of a large group of wargames lurking there.

Finally, there's a modified Conqueror ARV (that's been modified to be a commentry booth- it's a two storey tank and therefore quite obvious) But then again, Busy.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I'm game for the ugly black tank. I assume it is okay for ticket holders to go in and out of the museum? I will almost surely be there before noon, and I'd hate to leave and lose my place.

What time then?

Being as the tanks run around on the track on the other side of the car park, you can go in and out of the museum.

Hm okay, I have been convinced by the number of tanks they want to roll out. I am also on the 9.30 from Waterloo. If someone else is going on that, bring a laptop with CM on it smile.gif

Return on the 19.05 from Wool. Cory, what are you doing after Sunday in the UK?

Hmmmm

I wonder if I can get out of the hole I will be in on Saturday....

I hope you all have fun, take plenty of photo's.

Debbie wants to see more pictures of those things with the long poles on them.

And before your dirty minds go too far with that thought that is her description of tanks....

;)

H

Originally posted by Sailor Malan:

Did we decide on by the big black tank at 12:30 then?

Let me put it this way - I will be at the Big Black Tank at 12.30, since I can not make it before. Then I'll see who else is there.

If someone wants a picture for recognition purposes, or my mobile number, send me an email.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Return on the 19.05 from Wool. Cory, what are you doing after Sunday in the UK?

I'll be in the UK until Thursday. I had considered a trip to Portsmouth to the see the Victory, but I think I'll just head back to London instead. A little shopping, a little drinking, but nothing planned. I'll be available. I'd enjoy another trip to the pub, or perhaps a little head-to-head CM.

Well, since Andreas is my mate, I'm going to have to make it 12:30 also. See you then.

Originally posted by Sailor Malan:

I've just noticed: this forum can get quite heated as to the exact armour thickness and distribution on the front of the M2A3Pzkw4f2T34, but we are going to meet 'by the big black tank'!

Oh the shame of it! ;)

Go on then, there's a picture of it earlier in the thread, you tell us what it is. tongue.gif

This thing has had me stumped since I first saw it. The closest I've got is that it's a hetrogenous mix of random tank parts used as an armour concept demonstrator and to an extent styled as a Soviet tank with ERA. The hull may or may not be a modified Centurion (it has 7 road wheels, which isn't standard) and the turret appears to be nothing standard- i.e. custom, and the tracks are the same as an ARV in the "to be refurbished yard"