New Panzer Commander?

I was in the computer store today and saw "Panzer Commander Winter Offensive" by Matrix Games. It looks alot like CM but with 40 second turns. Not too sure if it is as detailed as CM or not. I will try the demo soon but I was just wondering if I am wasting my time with this or not? I am a huge CM fan (like most people here) but I am looking for a objective viewpoint.

Has anyone tried it yet?

I gave it a shot along with my favourite CM PBEM-friend and we both found it to be a very bad rip-off...

The PBEM-part was also very strange and with some very odd solutions. The only positive thing I could come up with is that the gun sounds sounded very nice and powerfull.

I´ve constantly seekin for good CM-like games. This was not one of those. Don't waste your money, try the demo if there is one.

I tried the demo. I wouldn't call it a CM rip-off - yes there's 3d T-34's and Pz-IV's fighting each other in WEGO, but neither 3d graphics, WW2 setting nor WEGO resolution is a BFC invention, and indeed Gary Grigsby's Kampfgruppe from 1985 is the grandfather (tactical WEGO wargame) of Combat Mission.

Panzer Command's game system is very different, so it's like calling West Front a Steel Panthers rip-off.

But I didn't like the demo. I couldn't get myself into learning the phase system after the simplicity of CM.

[ April 20, 2007, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Tried the demo and didn't like it. The graphics are not much better than Combat Mission's, the board game sequence of play slows the action and adds nothing, even more abstracted infantry than Combat Mission, clumsy interface and non destructable terrain.

Despite all this it seems they are planning an add-on.

I got it when it first came out and then they made a patch for it. I'd call it "CMBB lite". It is an ok game but nothing great. Basically you take your core group through a number of battles in a drive to relieve Stalingrad. So it is just that time frame and that makes it pretty limited. I'd say if you see it at a good price and nothing else is out that you like, it'll fill your need for a new game for a little while. While units are individual tanks, you command the platoon and then the tanks follow the platoon orders.

Sure wish Combat Missions Campaign would hurry up and come out... smile.gif

No, you can give tanks, or any unit, individual orders...or plt..or any part of..

The Ai is pretty good too..with units backing out if they're taking too much fire from you.

It's definitely not beer and pretzel..of course you'd have to play it to see. Try the demo and decide for yourself.

No, you can give tanks, or any unit, individual orders...or plt..or any part of..

The Ai is pretty good too..with units backing out if they're taking too much fire from you.

It's definitely not beer and pretzel..of course you'd have to play it to see. Try the demo and decide for yourself.