PC Gamer, UK, review.

Hi,

CMAK gets a Game of Distinction Award, plus the comment that being on sale for just £20; it is a ridiculously low price for such a fine game.

What I think is so amazing is just how far ahead of the pack CM still is although it is now around four years old. As serious wargames/simulations go CM is still in a stratosphere far above all others. I constantly search the net for new games, and sometimes throw my money at new games, in the hope of finding something of even close to the quality to CM. I am always disappointed.

However, this particular reviewer does mention two features he would like to see in future versions of CM, both of which are close to my heart ;) . Firstly some form of operational layer. I think of this as some way to set individual CM games in greater context. Secondly, the need for a grid overlay in the orders phase to better spot the undulation in terrain. I would love to see a toggled, grid overlay so that you can spot undulations from camera settings 4 and 5.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Firstly some form of operational layer. I think of this as some way to set individual CM games in greater context.

Yep. Second that. It'd make it near perfect. Can't play AK since my system is too slow, so not sure what features it has, but I'd also like to see allowing multiple players to control a side - dividing up forces between them. This could allow for "coop" or 4 player games.

FWB,

“Yep. Second that. It'd make it near perfect. Can't play AK since my system is too slow, so not sure what features it has, but I'd also like to see allowing multiple players to control a side - dividing up forces between them. This could allow for "coop" or 4 player games.”

You have reasons to be cheerful, I think ;) . I would be very surprised if CMX2 does not have a multi-player feature. But who knows for sure outside the magic circle at BFC.

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I really like that guy's writing style. Very entertaining. Can he really say "bint" in an online review? :D

It is rather splendid ... and the chap has a definite handle on what Combat Mission is all about (a very fair score). He's even heard of "borg spotting", for goodness sake smile.gif Would the mystery (wo)man care to reveal themselves (put it away, Soddball)?

Teddy

Originally posted by kipanderson:

I would love to see a toggled, grid overlay so that you can spot undulations from camera settings 4 and 5.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Even better, a fully toggled terrain set (not just grass mods) so that you could have, say, monochrome terrain to show off the contour lines, (or ease strain on the processor by using lo-res to watch the movie) etc., and then toggle for realistic looking terrain if you wanted to take a screenshot or two with photo-realism.

Yep, very entertainingly written. He seems much more well versed than most reviewers and his criticisms are on point, noting deficiencies with the current engine which have been often discussed on the forums. However, I have one complaint, he should he have included a glossary for his American readers. Perhaps our commonwealth brethren on the forum can explain what he means by "toffee-nosed." I can think of an Americanism that bears a surface similarity, but it doesn't seem to fit here. And as for a "Tory trout" I can't even begin to imagine.

Finally, screenshots of the game that make it looks as though CM might be fun to play! :D

That's a pet peeve I've had with a whole mess of CM reviews going back to CMBO. Usually the dullest screenshots imaginable, like they wanted to keep it a secret that CM can actually be FUN!

[ January 29, 2004, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Perhaps our commonwealth brethren on the forum can explain what he means by "toffee-nosed." I can think of an Americanism that bears a surface similarity, but it doesn't seem to fit here. And as for a "Tory trout" I can't even begin to imagine.
Hmmm...Toffee-nosed is a stuck-up,arrogant and usally rich,upper class English person who's nose is so far up their own arse they can see the planet Uranus,and as for Tory trout,think:elderly Republican woman. :D

Originally posted by Pinetree:

Hmmm...Toffee-nosed is a stuck-up,arrogant and usally rich,upper class English person who's nose is so far up their own arse they can see the planet Uranus,and as for Tory trout,think:elderly Republican woman. :D

Thanks for the explanation Pinetree. Like the Junior Woodchucks guide book the CM Forum seems to be an inexhaustible fountain of knowledge. (Although I'm still curious about the origin of the phrase "Tory trout")