Retail game differences

You are getting the same game, the retail version comes with a bunch of scenarios and that is about the only difference. Battlefront never seems to drop their price much, but if you do buy from them, they will normally send you a new disk if you wear the old one out.

But at this point I see the interest changing from the orig. 3 combat mission games to the next generation in about a year. Will lose many players once the newer games get rollin.

Plus I believe the "Store" versions are by CDV or whatever their name is and have the edited down versions of the Waffen SS. I bought CMBB at Comp USA and all SS stuff was Waffen Grenadiers....it's a small niggle but if you are a stickler for authenticity....

Mord.

Originally posted by frenchfried_krautdog:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll buy the retail version and save the difference for the nextgen games. Guess I'll have to make an archive copy of the disk to be on the safe side. That's pretty funny about the "SS" references being deleted from the retail version, was this a sop to the PC censors?

FK

iirc its because of laws in Germany so they cannot refer to the SS and other Nazi terminology. CDV distribute the game there.

Originally posted by oi_you_nutter:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by frenchfried_krautdog:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll buy the retail version and save the difference for the nextgen games. Guess I'll have to make an archive copy of the disk to be on the safe side. That's pretty funny about the "SS" references being deleted from the retail version, was this a sop to the PC censors?

FK

iirc its because of laws in Germany so they cannot refer to the SS and other Nazi terminology. CDV distribute the game there. </font>

I can't understand the inflated prices for games on Battlefront. It's as though they don't really want you to buy directly from them. The CM Bundle Pack is $60, CMBB $35 and Strategic Command is still $25!!

Who's going to pay those prices for two and three year old games?

Blighty

I'm sure there are plenty of games companies out there who will tell you their games involve just as much work as Strategic Command or Combat Mission. Maybe not in the areas you would appreciate, but no doubt other gamers do. And it's about how much people will pay. You're asking people to buy it from BFC from some kind of altruistic motive. People don't buy products in that way. There are enough things to spend your money on without going out of your way to find the dearest outlet for them.

Blighty

Originally posted by Blighty:

I'm sure there are plenty of games companies out there who will tell you their games involve just as much work as Strategic Command or Combat Mission. Maybe not in the areas you would appreciate, but no doubt other gamers do.

Name a comparable game to CMBB. An MOH has COD and BIA as competition, for example. But if you want a game *like* CMBB, what else is there?

I don't see the reason to put it in the bargain basement, unless it's because gamers are used to titles coming down in price generally, and that's a pretty weak argument.

Blighty, nobody is forcing you do buy from us. We're charging for our games what we think that they're worth in gameplay value and replayability. Good games age like good wine.

Retailers charge for them to maximized their inventory turnover. Many of those games age like bad wine smile.gif

One of the reasons why we do give our games into retail (after a while) is because we do want to give people a choice... those who would like to support what we do and see more games from us, often decide to buy from us. Those who put more emphasis on price, can get it from retail with a little patience. It works out best for everybody.

But I can tell you... without this system and enough people who opt to support us, we wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be playing these games. The return from retail is way too little to support a full-time team like we have these days. It's been like this 5-6 years ago already and led to starting Battlefront.com in the first place. And things haven't change a bit since then, if anything, they got worse.

Having said that, even when you compare our direct prices with other wargame companies out there, you should admit that we're very fairly priced. Others charge you $50 upward for - at best - facelifted 15 year old re-re-re-releases. We have release T72 and Down in Flames at $35 only. Strategic Command came out at $25 back then.

Martin

If older CM titles are finding their way to store shelves at a reduced price (with BFC's permission) the only benefit to BFC that I can see would be as part of a brand awareness campaign. Find a cheap copy of CMAK or CMBB in a bargain bin and maybe when the next BFC item hits the market they'll gain a new prospective buyer. to BFC a bargain bin CM product = a free sample.

BFC's products are so unique that many people have concluded it's worth the couple extra bucks to support the company. If BFC goes under due to knock-offs I don't see another serious miitary combat sim manufacturer on the horizon to take their place.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

If older CM titles are finding their way to store shelves at a reduced price (with BFC's permission) the only benefit to BFC that I can see would be as part of a brand awareness campaign.

I would rather believe that the retail version has sold quite nicely. While BFC don't earn as much from it per sold unit, neither do they have to - they have already earned their investments back through direct sales, and extra profits are the best profits.

I suppose its down to BFC, they dont have to release any game to retail if they dont want to. I saw CM Anthology for £9.99 the other day here. Thats all 3 games for under a tenner. Know what, I bought them to keep in case my originals die, thats a double sale from me then.

I guess it's a question of do you get them while their hot ( and pay full freight ), or wait for them to show up in the bargain bin. No different from any other game. I realize the need to support the small developers by paying full freight, and will continue to do so, while also taking advantage of the bargain bin when it's available. Call it dollar cost averaging, I think everyone wins in the end.