Grog question on AMX-13

Looking for a tank grog recommendation on a substitute for the French AMX 13 from the existing German/Italian(?) vehicles in CMAK.

This is for a 1956 scenario with Israeli AMX-13s engaging Egyptian Sherman IIIs (M4A2s with 75mm)and Archer tank destroyers near El-Arish.

One of the German 88mm SPs?

TIA

Hans

The 75mm gun on the AMX-13 was actually a cut-down version of the Panther 75(!), fitted to an oscillating turret with autoloader. The gun my have been installed upside-down (or sideways) so the breech would go up, to accomodate the autoloader mechanism. I don't really know if the shell fired a full charge.

The AMX-13 was designed as an anti-tank vehicle before being relegated to light tank. My suggestion for replacement would be the Marder IIIĀ®. Big gun, light armor, pretty mobile, and entertainingly funky looking.

[ June 08, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

The only thing I can think of to REALLY play an AMX-13 would be an AMX-13. Compromises will have to be made.

If the Israelis had a 90mm gun instead of 75 that would be a medium pressure gun firing HEAT. Not too many CMAK axis vehicles fill that bill.

In 1956 the only weapon on AMX-13s was the 75 mm gun.

The 90 mm gun was introduced in the AMX-13 in 1966.

AMX-13/90 light tank

The high velocity of the AMX, combined with a light armor is more the american doctrine in tank-hunters than the german one. I see the AMX more similar to the Hellcat than anything else.

There are no captured Hellcats, arenĀ“t they?

(( Edited to correct the "Hellcaesm"-ism ))

[ June 09, 2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Paco QNS ]

PzIVg (early) vs AMX:

More armor

Bigger silhouette

Weaker gun

The Sherman will cut thru 50mm at extreme ranges anyway - almost the same as thru 10mm. So the bigger armor is not that important.

The smaller size of the AMX offsets the bigger armor (in a pure AT role, I'd trade size for armor and take the AMX over the PzIV)

Weaker gun - the PzIV needs some tungsten to simulate the AMX' gun

Conclusion:

Use IVg (early) and give the tungsten to them.

GruƟ

Joachim

Only thing that is difficult to simulate that way is the extreme smal sillouette (for a tank that is).

One of the major design features was (supposed to be) their ability to hide and snipe from cover, and race back out of danger. You don't need a tank that has the same thin armour, and the same gun, but a tank that has those features going for it (as far as the AMX-13 had them. And as far as those features worked for them in that regio, it was designed to work against the Russians, in an European terrain).

The Dutch army had some of them, those that used them were not really impressed (and we did switch to the Leopard, not to the AMX-30).

Bertram