Gun Hits!

MacV

Originally posted by MacV:

I've been playing all 3 games since they came out and I have NEVER damaged an enemy tank's weapon.

Actually you have, but they are very stoic and tricky and never let on. If you look closely, you'll see that what happens when an enemy tank loses it's gun is that every now and then, the TC cracks the hatch and holds out a stick with a flag on it with the word 'BANG!'. Honest.

Michael

Other Means - no, not remotely. Very light AP is much less likely to inflict gun damage or immobilization on a gun or track hit, than full caliber AP. I've bounced literally thousands of ATR rounds off medium tanks in tests looking for the gun damage and immobilization rates, and it is zero. Thousands of ATR shots fired, no gun damage or immobilization seen, despite plentiful hits on those locations.

20mm can do it but it is quite rare. By the time you are using 50mm AP the damage chances are decent, but you will still see "no significant damage" from both gun and track hits. It is less common but still happens, with full 75mm and up stuff.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Other Means - no, not remotely. Very light AP is much less likely to inflict gun damage or immobilization on a gun or track hit, than full caliber AP. I've bounced literally thousands of ATR rounds off medium tanks in tests looking for the gun damage and immobilization rates, and it is zero. Thousands of ATR shots fired, no gun damage or immobilization seen, despite plentiful hits on those locations.

20mm can do it but it is quite rare. By the time you are using 50mm AP the damage chances are decent, but you will still see "no significant damage" from both gun and track hits. It is less common but still happens, with full 75mm and up stuff.

I said light AA has the same effect on everything, not everything has the same effect. Would you go along with that?

There are so many parameters to the game that you have to play a LOT before patterns start emerging. No enemy 'gun hits' during your first three games? Maybe it'll happen every time you fire a round during the next two! ;)

Honestly, the only reasons why I continue playing a scenario when I spot a distant Tiger on the other side is

1: Maybe its "fog-of-war" and it's really just a PzII in the distance.

2: No matter how invulnerable he is he can still get immobilized and suffer an emasculating 'gun hit'.

Originally posted by JasonC:

OM - turret in fixed position usually means covered arc, not damage. There isn't a turret damage, jammed, no travese result in the game (though it did happen sometimes in reality, particularly from hits on the turret ring).

Nope. I said turning WITH the tank, i.e. tank turns and turret turns with it. Therefore it can't be a cover arc.

The incident in question was against my mate Falk. I hit his Panther with 3/4 Wolverines and thought I'd done no damage, but it started to retreat and the turret turned with the tank, at ~ a 20 degree angle (IIRC) which contradicts sgtgoody's observation.

I'll email Falk and see if he remebers the incident. I may even have a save available, I'm funny like that.

Naw, seriously. I've been playing all 3 games since they came out and I have NEVER damaged an enemy tank's weapon. I actually got a gun hit that didn't disble my tank's gun today. Is this a bug?
I was just laying CMBO, not CMAK I know, but I did manage to get a Serman V to damage the gun of a Panther G with a frontal shot and force the crew to abandon it just a few minutes ago.

The scenario was "Death of the Titans", and I won with a minor victory after destroying all the german tanks: 4 Tigers 2 Panthers, one G and one A, and a turretless PzIV. The majority of the kills were achieved by Sherman Vs even though I had fireflys.

I am frankly amazed there still seems to be a question as to how to tell a vehicle is GD-ed.

Here's what just happened between Other Means and me. The Panther below has just been hit by a Piat from straight where the barrel was pointing, GD-ing it.

gd13jt.jpg

And here the Panther moved on, hoping to get a spectacular kill on an open topped TD with it's NaVerteitigungs Waffe. Yeah I know, long shot, but it was worth a shot just to see if it could be done. Sadly the TD was long gone and caught a distrated Hetzer in the flank. Notice how the turret remained stationary relative to the hull even though the Panther turned while moving. Really, this should be 101 material for CM.

gd23ew.jpg

A cover arc would see the turret slaved to a point on the compass relative to the hull. So the gun would always point ENE from the hull if the cover arc was set to the ENE, no matter the direction the hull was pointing at. I do hope this was a question of mis-communication as this is pretty basic stuff.

PS

Apologies for any bigness you may suffer. Side scrolling rules!!! :D

So, with GD the turret stops in the last position. If there was a covered arc the gun would stay in the middle of it, unless it saw a target. If there wasn't the gun would go to hull front, unless it saw a target.

At least in my experiance, there may be a time where the G gets D'd and the barrel moves to hull front. But I've never seen it AFAIK.