Tips for a noob on tank killing (tigers in particular)

I was woundering if anyone could give me some tips on taking out tigers... I've been really strugling to even dent them and have tried all sorts of tactics in getting rid of them. once I ambushed one with two shermans... which it dealt with easily and knocked out both of... it then went on to survive an attack from a bazooka team to the rear... and finnaly survived a near point blank attack from another sherman... so in total it destroyed three shermans without even a scratch! :( any tips for tank busting in general will be muchos appreciated

Sherman != Sherman.

The HVSS models are much better due to vastly improved maneuverability in difficult or medium ground. Obviously, different Sherman models have different guns but I assume you are aware of that.

As for the bazooka, make sure you have the 1.01 patch which is supposed to make the Bazooka more potent on hit.

Last but not least, the right thing to do would be to have the bazooka attack from the rear and the Sherman from the side at the same time.

You might consider playing with British forces. They have the 17pounder gun [77mm I think] which turns up as an ATG and in a slightly reduced form in the Archer and Firefly. If you search the forums you will find why Tigers hide from them!!

The British also have their 6pounder [57mm] which even without tungsten is not to be messed with. This turns up as an ATG and is also in some British tanks. I believe it can penetrate the sides of Tigers at 500 metres

And lastly they have the PIAT , equivalent to a bazooka but with more range [200metres] and can be used stealthily as it does not fire a rocket.

It too can kill Tigers.

US infantry tends to be more butch - but then if all your tanks are gone it may not be much fun playing on.!

BTW if you read the thread on Churchills' , currently on this page, there is a link to armour penetration tables for British guns [the site covers other countries aswell].

So with normal shot APC 17 lb will go through Tiger frontal armour at 1000 metres! If you think thats good you will weep when you see the penetration with an APDS shell.

Happy hunting

I was woundering if anyone could give me some tips on taking out tigers...
For a detailed account of how a Sherman can knock out a Tiger, see my web page:

http://www.752ndtank.com/cecina.html

A more detailed account appears in an article I wrote for After the Battle magazine (Issue 114).

This is a story about how my father's Sherman knocked out a Tiger I from the side, at about 25-30 yards. The side armor over the fuel tanks was relatively thin, and the Shermans were more maneuverable than the Tiger. In addition, while the Tiger did have a hydraulic power assist, it was quite slow due to low gearing and the weight of the turret, plus it robbed power from the engine. The Tiger turret could be hand-cranked, but it required 720 turns of the traverse hand wheel to complete a 360 degree traverse. Slow turret traverse was a major liability of the Tiger.

As a result, US tankers were trained that a flanking maneuver at close range was the best tactic. The article on my web page clearly illustrates an example of this tactic being put to use.

CMAK's Knifefight in Cecina was developed on the basis of my web article.

Bob

752nd Tank Battalion in WWII

[ March 06, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: 752ndTank ]

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

You might consider playing with British forces. They have the 17pounder gun [77mm I think] which turns up as an ATG and in a slightly reduced form in the Archer and Firefly. If you search the forums you will find why Tigers hide from them!!

The British also have their 6pounder [57mm] which even without tungsten is not to be messed with. This turns up as an ATG and is also in some British tanks. I believe it can penetrate the sides of Tigers at 500 metres

And lastly they have the PIAT , equivalent to a bazooka but with more range [200metres] and can be used stealthily as it does not fire a rocket.

It too can kill Tigers.

US infantry tends to be more butch - but then if all your tanks are gone it may not be much fun playing on.!

The 17pdr is a 76.2mm gun (3")and is the same whether mounted on a 25pdr carriage, a proper ATG carriage, a Firefly, an Archer or an Achilles. The gun termed as 77mm was a shortened version of the 17pdr (although I've seen it described as a H.V. 75mm - Peter Beale, "Death by Design") mounted on the Comet, used by 3 RTR in NWE in late '44 to the end of the war.

thanks people!... armed with this new knowlege I will be better able to deal with them.. I suppose the best possible way of learning it all is to simply study all of the armour types of all of the vehicles and know which unit is best at countering it... I'll have to try playing around with the secenario editor and testing out all the different guns etc

Originally posted by R Leete:

That was ages ago, Gyrene. Things are just dandy. Drink up.

I just looked up the post where you originally mentioned the incident....Turns out I eve replied to it!

Are you sure you haven't sent me a bottle of that stuffr before? Or is my memory that bad :D

Gyrene

Originally posted by 752ndTank:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I was woundering if anyone could give me some tips on taking out tigers...

For a detailed account of how a Sherman can knock out a Tiger, see my web page:

http://www.752ndtank.com/cecina.html

A more detailed account appears in an article I wrote for After the Battle magazine (Issue 114).

Bob

752nd Tank Battalion in WWII </font>

Originally posted by Wires:

I was woundering if anyone could give me some tips on taking out tigers... I've been really strugling to even dent them and have tried all sorts of tactics in getting rid of them. once I ambushed one with two shermans... which it dealt with easily and knocked out both of... it then went on to survive an attack from a bazooka team to the rear... and finnaly survived a near point blank attack from another sherman... so in total it destroyed three shermans without even a scratch! :( any tips for tank busting in general will be muchos appreciated

Smoke.

Blind him with arty and flank him with the Shermans.

Of course, life's difficult if he has two Tigers.

Then again, the US made lots of Shermans...