An interesting looking piece of armour for the Grogs

Hans

Yes, the Char B2 Aggressive Rocket Symmetrie Emmitter mk 2. After the early experimental rocket propulsion system was criticized for lacking maneuverability, this one had a revolutionary variable direction thruster added (commonly mistaken as a canon). However, in typical French fashion it blew off spectaculary, tragically destroying most of the factory that produced it.

As an interesting aside to this story, one of the orphaned children was none other than Michel Wibault, who reinvented the idea to power aircraft, and was hired by Hooker who was instrumental in developing the engine for Hawker Aircraft, and what would eventually become the Harrier. Sadly Wibault died before he could witness his engine in a flying airplane.

The one that really freaked me out on that page was the mockup 'model' of that FCM F1! Sheesh, and I thought it was only the Germans who thought up these insane weapon systems! Makes even the Maus look rather small by comparison.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

What amazes me is that if I read it right it's only a 75mm gun. Looks bigger then that, I would have though 105mm atleast.

I didn't read anything, but comparing the two guns to the figure standing next to the vehicle, it looks to me that the big one could easily be 100mm and the smaller one 75mm.

Michael

Ah! Just went back and read the caption. Here's what it says:

This tank, designed to lead assaults on the Siegfried Line in 1941, was to be armed with a high-velocity 90mm gun (mv 710 m/s, penetration 100mm at 1000 m) in the rear turret and a 75mm SA 35 in the front turret (the mock up above shows a 47mm gun mock up instead) with a 25mm AT gun on each side of the hull!
A rolling fortress indeed...providing you can get it to roll.

:rolleyes:

Michael

Originally posted by Hans:

I knows it nuts to say so but it would be interesting to be in a CM game set in June 1940 and acting as the commander of a German tank platoon equipped with Pz IIs and running into that thing!

Hell, you only need a .22 to kill Pz. IIs. To kill Pz. Is, you only need a BB gun.

Michael