Names

Sanok

I have CMBO Special Edition and I just purchased the CMBB SpeciaL Edition last Saturday. In playing the games, I usually look at the names used for the various soldiers; squad leaders, tank commanders, etc. I was wondering, if anyone has seen their own last name used in any of the games. If so, did the soldiers do anything heroic in the battle? I have a very common last name, but I've never seen it used. Hopefully, if it ever is, he'll do me proud. smile.gif

Originally posted by Sanok:

I have CMBO Special Edition and I just purchased the CMBB SpeciaL Edition last Saturday. In playing the games, I usually look at the names used for the various soldiers; squad leaders, tank commanders, etc. I was wondering, if anyone has seen their own last name used in any of the games. If so, did the soldiers do anything heroic in the battle? I have a very common last name, but I've never seen it used. Hopefully, if it ever is, he'll do me proud. smile.gif

Soddball used the names of a few of the Cheery Waffle thread regulars when he made his "Cheery Waffle 2" scenario for CMBB. As far as I know, none of us have done anything heroic - at least not in the scenario. Beyond that, I haven't heard anybody bragging about his namesake being in the games. :D

Before CMBO was shipped BTS gave Forum members the opportunity to put names in for French, German, UK, Polish, Canadian and US forces. I do not know if something similar happened for CMBB (Russian, Finns, East Block)or CMAK (Italians). From time to time I see my family name...actually a tribute to my uncle, a WW2 Vet of the 45th Division.

Originally posted by Strider:

Yep...for CMBO some of us submitted our last names...from time to time they show up in all three versions. To answer one of your questions, mine usually dies early on smile.gif

What kind of name do you have if it shows up in both CMBO and CMBB? Or is it German or Polish?

BFC, I want my name into CMAK too!!! :mad:

Sergei !

You can:

Design your own scenario and choose your name for a unit smile.gif

Or...open an existing scenario and ( if the scenario is not protected for changing) change one of the names in the scenario editor.

btw When i start a new battle, i always choose one of the units, and think: "I am that unit commander"

It give another flavour to the battle that way smile.gif

Monty

Monty

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Strider:

Yep...for CMBO some of us submitted our last names...from time to time they show up in all three versions. To answer one of your questions, mine usually dies early on smile.gif

What kind of name do you have if it shows up in both CMBO and CMBB? Or is it German or Polish?

BFC, I want my name into CMAK too!!! :mad: </font>

I believe Rune made a CMAK scenario with my name as the Battalion Commander - ill fated it will be and it was in real life. Can't remember the battle, but it might be the Sidi Rezegh/airfield clash and the South African 5th Bde that was beaten to a pulp by DAK. Not sure, as I have not received CMAk yet.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

</font>

• Grateful donateur to the drinking habits of Battlefront.com (“I am simultaneously embarrassed and proud to state for the record that only two bottles of your fine South African wines remain in my wine rack. The rest gave their lives honorably in the service of the construction of CMAK over the past several months.” -- Charles Moylan, 28 Nov. 2003)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER, an excellent tool - it even lets you play 2 PBEM turns per e-mail exhange - if you play more than one PBEM at a time and have a Windows OS</font>
  • Sponsor of the (now infamous) Invitational (Winner: Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn’s Brazilian customs drank the wine prize up! + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honor of Nabla (His scoring system revolutionized CM tourney play)</font>
  • Rumblings of War, aka RoW tourney sponsor</font>

RoW I winner:Wreck, RoW II co-winners:Ali, Kanonier Reichmann, Jon_L, RoW III co-winners: Deadly 88, Frunze, mPisi

</font>

• Thank You donation send to Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Boots & Tracks for their scenarios created specifically for RoW tournaments</font>
  • Wine donation send to Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility (Thereby making the installing of CM mods a breeze)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Andrew Fox for his CM modding work</font>
  • Wine donation send to Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot for his dedication in hosting CM scenarios</font>
  • Sponsor-to-be of Pengville’s “Gamey Bastard” tourney (In honor of Seanachai + Lars for showing an act of kindness to an outerboarder - Well, bribery does pay.)</font>

You forget that there are a plenty of Swedish names in CMBB. You know, the brave breed of yours - the Finnish Swedes. tongue.gif

Back to Finnish names, I think BFC is Finnish. Charles Moylan's real name is obviously Kalle Moilanen. Steve Grammont is a tougher nut, but I think it is originally Tapani Karimo. Matt Faller is Matti Volotinen, Dan Olding Tenho Vanhala (old = vanha). Martin Turewicz and Fernando Julio Carrera Buil are originally Mortti Turpeinen and Vertti Karrila. This must be the fact.

Prosopography is an interesting subject. If you're sensitive to it seeing clearly ahistorical names on a unit in the 1940's ( e.g. an Australian Battalion commander with a Vietnamese name) is every bit as annoying as seeing a Waffle Grenadier or a flag that never existed outside of computer gameland. A bit like refusing to watch Baa Baa Black Sheep because of the 1970's haircuts...

So in the interest of historical enhancement, may I suggest that we compile and post several lists of surnames for use by designers of future scenarios ? What I have in mind is a guide, by nationality, of a dozen or so of the most common names for each country, along with notes on what names to avoid using. Modern demographics are very different, so we have to avoid the temptation of reaching into the phone book to come up with an ahistorical multicultural army.

And I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard to come up with lists of names of veterans and war casualties from official sources to create an authentic pool of names from the 1940's.