Free Combat Mission fan site hosting!

Free Combat Mission Fan Site Hosting at StrategyInformer.com!

If you have a dedicated fan site for Combat Mission series we offer to host it for you on strategyinformer.com for free! Your site must be updated regularly!

What you get:

1. Free and unlimited space & bandwidth for your fan site!

2. Domain name under StrategyInformer.com > gamename.strategyinformer.com!

3. Forum category on StrategyInformer.com forums!

4. Promotion of your site through each page on StrategyInformer.com!

What we get:

1. Unintrusive 468x60 banner on each of your pages

If you think you have a good site and you update it at least once a week we would like to hear from you. So send us your applications at

http://www.strategyinformer.com/fansitehosting.shtml

Only 1 site from Combat Mission series will be accepted. Good luck!

Thanks Battlefront!

Does this hosting include the items listed in your "Cheap Web Hosting"?

PHP, Perl, MySql, Free Setup & Dom. 2000 MB Space, 60 GB Transfer. Aff.

(what would "Aff." be anyways - affordable?)

Will you be holding some kind of judging for who's site get selected?

Sounds like a pretty nice deal for someone wanting to get their CM site up.

FYI: Not interested myself, my site is written in another programming language plus I like having my own domain name. smile.gif

Originally posted by Magpie7787:

DJK not sure what you mean by ours "Cheap Web Hosting". We do not have any hosting service in such way. We simply rent the space for Strategy Informer, which is plenty for hosting aside sites.

Thanks

Ok, my bad. I just now noticed the "ads by Google" so that was somebody else's hosting service. Ooops!

I guess then the questions will be then, what does come with the hosting in the way of server side scripting, database support, storage and transfer quota's. Also, do you provide FTP access to the account, cgi-bin, web log stats, anything else that I can't think of at the moment?

I know, it's free hosting, but someone building a site or who has a site already is going to want to know what limitations there are/aren't.

Also, can you provide a couple of links to other games' fan-sites so that we can see an example of what you're making available? I.e., do the site developers have to use a pre-made template for the site and simply get to plug in some text and upload a few images, or do they get complete control of the design?

Thanks!

[ January 30, 2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: GJK ]

DJK,

There arent any limitations. Our server can handle ANY scripts. Actually we have 2 servers. Our second server is for storing/downloading files. It has 40GB of space and 3.2 Terrabytes of bandwidth available each month. So we can handle everything. And can also help sites to feature bigger/smaller files and offer them to their visitors.

Well we wont allow only Real time chats as they drain too much CPU.

Sites will have full authority over its design. They only need to show our 468x60 banner and text link anywhere that the site is hosted on StrategyInformer.com. So which ever design, as long as it looks good.

We have just started hosting fan sites so we do not have any established yet. Thats why we started searching for any potential sites.

That's some more information that I think we need: what kind of "fan site" does this need to be? Does it need to be a I love Combat Mission and this is why type of site, or can it be for something like AAR's where it really isn't going to make any sense or be of any value except to people that play CM?

Is the point of offering free hosting for this CM site to get more people to the mother site because they may be interested in CM and want to read more about it? Or is it a special "thank you" for the great game, here's some web space, do what you please with it"?

Also, Magpie, you say you support "all" scripting languages. I'll tell you that you don't support them all, there's some fairly obscure ones out there, such as what I use for my site and what another member here uses for his great CMMODS site. So, with a list of the most popular scripting languages, which of these are supported:

ASP

JSP

PHP

Cold Fusion

CGI

.NET

What that is not on that list is supported if any?

I'm asking because someone here that is wanting to take advantage of this offer is going to want to know what they can build their site in. If we do have an AAR site, that will require a database to hold all of those AAR's (After-Action Reports). Is a MySQL database supported? How about SQL Server? Postgres? Other?

There's really a ton of questions that could go with this. Should someone email you directly with any questions or post here?

Platform is another key--linux, windows, BSD, etc. Also effects scripting avaliable. If you are not windows (which appears to be the case), cross off .NET, ASP and MSSQL.

If I were considering, I would definitely need pretty much what GJK asks for above.

WWB

Site needs to cover entire Combat Mission series and write about it. To have infos on the game. It just needs to be a fan site. Example: civfanatics.com - covers entire Civilization series

As for the server support you can email me what you would need at magpie@strategyinformer.com and I will ask our server admin as soon as I get your email.

SQL is available. Ive seen many hosts and our current one provides more then any we had so far. So its pretty supportive.

Thanks

Originally posted by Magpie7787:

GJK just checked your site. That is how the fan site should look like. To have lots of infos about it. If you want that we host you email me.

Thanks for the offer Magpie, but unfortunately it's written in WebDNA, a fairly obscure programming language that has a price-tag of $4,995.95 for a license for the enterprise edition which you would need on your server. The site could be converted to PHP, but that is far beyond the time (and skill) for me to do that.

I would be available to help someone here that is looking to build a new site though - be it graphical or HTML coding.

Originally posted by GJK:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Magpie7787:

GJK just checked your site. That is how the fan site should look like. To have lots of infos about it. If you want that we host you email me.

Thanks for the offer Magpie, but unfortunately it's written in WebDNA, a fairly obscure programming language that has a price-tag of $4,995.95 for a license for the enterprise edition which you would need on your server. The site could be converted to PHP, but that is far beyond the time (and skill) for me to do that.

I would be available to help someone here that is looking to build a new site though - be it graphical or HTML coding. </font>

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJK:

I would be available to help someone here that is looking to build a new site though - be it graphical or HTML coding. </font>

Originally posted by GJK:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJK:

You shouldn't embark on this mission before Magpie can come over with actual descriptions of what is being offered, including platform, languages and backup procedures in place.

Just my two cents.

I have seen people happily spending their entire free time for weeks only to have the whole thing blow up.

[ February 14, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

redwolfs' post brings up a good question.Has there been any progress on any of this?

One of the main reasons i ask,i thought of a well deserving site that should be given a shot at this.The site i am speaking of is:

Boots and Tracks Who can argue,that some of the best scenarios and operations out there came from the great folks at B&T?

I dont know how it would work,or even IF it would work,but the site it is on now is always kinnda slow and just doesnt seem up to the standards of excellence that the great scenario designers deliver us.If nothing else,and this is all dependant on the owners/operators of B&T,could the pages for B&T be stored with whatever other kind of site gets this offer?Primarily if it will benefit B&T in some way(speed,storage..etc).

Just a thought......

Originally posted by nevermind:

redwolfs' post brings up a good question.Has there been any progress on any of this?

One of the main reasons i ask,i thought of a well deserving site that should be given a shot at this.The site i am speaking of is:

Boots and Tracks Who can argue,that some of the best scenarios and operations out there came from the great folks at B&T?

I dont know how it would work,or even IF it would work,but the site it is on now is always kinnda slow and just doesnt seem up to the standards of excellence that the great scenario designers deliver us.If nothing else,and this is all dependant on the owners/operators of B&T,could the pages for B&T be stored with whatever other kind of site gets this offer?Primarily if it will benefit B&T in some way(speed,storage..etc).

Just a thought......

Thanks for the nomination but, in a few words, no, we aint moving. Especially over there. I would rather pay for webhosting--rather cheap really--then be beholden to some outside entilty for support. We have been around that block before, and it was not pretty.

There are some technical reasons for declining this offer too. First, they are running on *Nix of some sort. Which means the DB solution I have in place does not work. Also means all the links must be rechecked for case-sensitivity. Both of which are deal killers right there. Toss in a banner ad and it is a no go from the get go.

Regarding the site being slow, I have not heard any complaints about that. It is in a shared server and is a bit resource intensive so I can see some burps, but nothing completely out of line. Generally the front might take a second to load, as it has to establish the DB connections. After that it is generally blazingly fast. I am actually looking at a few new hosting options, but nothing is too firm yet. Aside from this speed issue, how is it "not up to the standards of execllence"?

WWB

PS: I have noticed that the B&T site is running especially slow today. Host has been contacted, hopefully that will clear things up.

[ February 09, 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: WWB ]