Personal Battle Log??

MG-42

Hey All,

I'm playing a lot of battles (both human and AI) mainly in CMAK and CMBB and I'm a bit of a fan of keeping logs of the battles I've played and who I've played against. I currently cover this by mainly taking a snapshot of the AAR at the end of the battle and saving it as a filename that reflects the date and opponent. But being a stickler for order and organization I'm finding this less then satisfactory. So it got me wondering how other people keep a log of their battles (if there is anyone as geeky as me). Or maybe there exists a piece of software that allows one to stores their battle logs electronically. I know there exists ladders and clubs that store battles as I'm in a couple but I'm talking more of a personal system that even allows you to store vs AI battles.

So to make my question clearer - how do you/what do you use for keeping a personal log of your battles? Does there exist a custom built piece of software that you use to maintain a log?

Many thanks

MG

Originally posted by MG-42:

Hey All,

I'm playing a lot of battles (both human and AI) mainly in CMAK and CMBB and I'm a bit of a fan of keeping logs of the battles I've played and who I've played against. I currently cover this by mainly taking a snapshot of the AAR at the end of the battle and saving it as a filename that reflects the date and opponent. But being a stickler for order and organization I'm finding this less then satisfactory. So it got me wondering how other people keep a log of their battles (if there is anyone as geeky as me). Or maybe there exists a piece of software that allows one to stores their battle logs electronically. I know there exists ladders and clubs that store battles as I'm in a couple but I'm talking more of a personal system that even allows you to store vs AI battles.

So to make my question clearer - how do you/what do you use for keeping a personal log of your battles? Does there exist a custom built piece of software that you use to maintain a log?

Many thanks

MG

Two ways.

This way

and also a copy of the final save game file if I ever want to go back and look at the map AND stats. I keep them in a folder in my PBEM folder.

To date, in the last 2 years, I've never felt the urge to go back and look at one.

Haha...glad I'm not the only one! smile.gif

Really though, I just keep a Word doc that is organized by game and opponent with the vital stats entered such as start and end date, final score, etc.

I also have an "ENDS" folder where I keep certain end saved games I want to keep around.

I also have my PBEMS saved off as well...anyway...

I'm the same...I keep all this stuff "just in case" but never look at it! :D

Although I do keep a Win/Lose/Draw tally for each game, BO,BB, and AK. I find that fun and sometimes depressing to check out!

Jordan "AstroCat"

@Mr. Dorosh - Awesome love the use of a html table for the battle log. That's given me the inspiration to do something similar (but cunningly disimilar so as not to breech copyright :D ). Should have guessed you would have gone to this much trouble. Well done and thanks for responding.

@Astrocat - Kind of similar to what I do but without the dedicated folder system. Nice idea too. Thanks for responding.

A simple excel sheet for me. I keep track of dates, opponents, victory level, which side I played, type of battle, casualty percent and a few other tidbits.

I'm actually geeky enough that I keep all the movie files ( including the final AAR ) from all my PBEMs.

And like everyone else, I can't remember ever going back and looking at any of them. Maybe someday... :rolleyes:

I have a number of full AARs in PDF format that I keep around and actually have gone back to a couple of times.

I'm always telling myself I need to write more, there are a couple of memorable battles I would like to have preserved in this way, but it's not always doable to write them while you're playing.

And that's the way it should be done if you want to capture the complete mental process that took you through the fight, which is the most fun to read back I think, especially from other people.

Here's what I do.

I have an Excel sheet for each of CMBO, CMBB & CMAK. I record details of all scenarios against the AI and all PBEM games, listing the side played and victory level. But I also rate each scenario according to levels of difficulty and enjoyment.

In addition, I have a pie chart showing my overall percentage of draws, victories and defeats.

Sad, isn't it? smile.gif

I kept one for a while, but it was a hassle and I never looked at it so I gave up. There are some long PBEM series that no one can remember the score on anymore. I'd like to know for those purposes, but not much else. I'm not sure I even have all of the appropriate versions of CM to even open most of the files anymore (BO 1.05, BB 1.01).

Thanks to all those who replied since the last time I thanked all those who replied..emmm I think that's right. :confused:

Anyway some more excellent ideas and ways to record battles...I'm putting them all into a big melting pot and seeing what comes out.

Any more systems adopted by any other players??

Regards

MG

I have always been a stickler for keeping up with my games, but I just use a legal pad. Each game gets a line which lists start date, opponent, scenario, side, and final score. Now I wish I had used Excel, at least! (I don't bother to record games against the AI.)

I also keep a list of every scenario that I have played or even just opened, and from which side. This enables me to be certain about double-blind games.

I keep all the PBEM files in folders with the name of the opponent, in my PBEM folder, even the ones with the plots. It's just nice to have them. Although i don't keep excel sheets of the games, i once did that for Freecell :rolleyes: .

It had wins, loss, number of games played, and how many wins needed to reach a certain percentage (assuming you didn't lose one game of course). I just learned excel back then and thought i could put it to good use.