Warning: Idiot Newbie on rampage...

OK, laugh if you want, but I cannot even get past the first tutorial in CMAK. Every time the officer manages to sneak within visual contact of the Italian mortar, someone takes a potshot at him and he panics and runs screaming straight TOWARDS the enemy. I must have tried 20 times, different locations, sneaky, hidey in the gully ( sorry, wadi,) all along the ridge, even hooking left to attack along the road, but no luck. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Any other tutorial-type scenarios out there in CMAKland? Thanks in advance,

wunwinglow

ww.kipperboxes.co.uk

Oh, goodie! New sig material!

Hey, wunwinglow, I'll be glad to play you, and give you newbie pointers as we go. I had a veteran player do the same for me, and it really helped me get the hang of it. Of course, he kicked my butt all over the map, but the pointers were worth it.

My email is in my profile.

I wouldn't worry about it Tim, rleete plays CM the same way he does most things (i.e. embarrassingly idiotic). You'll probably spank him all over the battlefield and then, when you're about to perform the coup disgrace on him, he'll stop sending turns complaining that the dog ate the paper with his password, he has a new job in Keokuk, Iowa and must leave immediately, or (most probably) that his wife is tired of all the explosion sounds he makes when playing and he's being given a "time out".

I thought he stopped sending turns when the screen got too opaque from all the spit and slobber on it from his blowing raspberries while pretending to drive a tank.....

His wife usually cleans it up after a week or 2.

Oh, and I thought that was just something I did.... Sounds like we'll get on like a house on fire! Eeeow! KaBoom! Ratatatatat!

I tried some covering fire from the other troops, they all ran away, and Captain Idiot did exactly the same thing AGAIN! Heck, I am beginning to understand Patton now.

I am of course only following the orders in the printed tutorial. Is that a good excuse? I think I've heard it used before somewhere....

wunwinglow

This takes me back

Get the HQ mortar spotter into postion (short sneak into whatever cover you can find- brush?) and make sure he's got a short cover arc so he doesn't shoot at what he sees thereby giving himself away. Wreak as much havoc as you can mange amongst the Italians

I recommend you install a mod to replace the Italian last seen icon from www.cmmods.com (registration required) Enjoy

This wasn't a problem for me in this one. Here's how I did it.

Make sure you take your time sneaking that HQ unit up towards the top of the ridge. Use ROUGH or ROCKY ground (as I don't recall there even being any brush about there.)

Dismount from the carrier, near the ridge. Once your HQ is at the bottom of the ridge, SNEAK up towards the top, but end your movement command with a HIDE order. So when he is ALMOST at the top of the little ridge and reaches the end of his movement order, he'll hide. Make sure he has a short COVERED ARC command so he won't pop off shots at anything, giving away his position (as per above posts).

Next orders phase, check his LOS to the sandbags. If he doesn't have LOS to those sandbags yet, give him a SNEAK order again of about 1 meter (or less). Follow that order with a HIDE command.

Then next orders phase, see if he has LOS to the sandbags. If he does, then unHIDE him ONLY if you are ready to fire with your Mortars. (but leave his covered arc on)

During all of this, you should be positioning your other troops for your master plan/rush/advance or whatever. And also, make sure your mortars are in position and under command of the sneaking HQ unit.

Then, you should be good to go. Good luck!

smile.gif

Gpig

Guys, you are just great. Success! I think it was the inching Capt Idiot forward a yard at a time that did it. Obvious really. Mayby in the CMX2 game they can program in a bit of common sense to the soldiers? Include a 'go up that hill and take a peek, but don't get shot while you are doing it' command....

I tried another scenario with 8 25pdrs, and just continued pressing the go button. It was like a shooting gallery! All but one enemy tank hit, my infantry didn't fire a single shot, but moving from gun to gun listening to the gunners talking was brilliant!

One thing that was a great surprise was the incredible sense of distance achieved with relatively simple graphics, enhanced by the excellent sound effects. I am glad I bought this game!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the pointers,

Tim P

A good rule of thumb for CM is if its a bad idea in real life its probably a bad idea in CM. In real life would YOU want to crawl to the top of a nice open sand dune and stare down at the enemy below?

And a word about the CM 'tutorials'. Nothing makes them any easier or harder than any other scenarios. I replayed one recently and again got my head handed to me. What they mostly teach is humility ;):D

[ March 17, 2005, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Bing! (Noise of light bulb going on...) Tried it with FoW set to something more foggy, and and the game played much better, ie more sensible. Usually you would assume the gradations in foggyness corresponded to ease of play, but in this case I found the opposite.

Cracking game, makes my head hurt....

Tim P