War And Peace Show 2004 - Pictures! (New added)

For those who don't go to the General Forum, Soddball was lucky enough to go the War And Peace tank show and he took some really nice pictures.

You can check them out on the site in my sig.

[edit] Soddball sent in some more pictures. Go check them out!

Gyrene

[ July 28, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

Very cool, Gyrene (and Soddball).

Thanks for that link.

Also, LOVED your CMBB movie. I couldn't tell what happened to that Tiger. Was it knocked out by one of the t-34's?

I also love how that german tank crew beetles off at top speed, with shells bursting all around them.

Cool.

Originally posted by Gpig:

Very cool, Gyrene (and Soddball).

Thanks for that link.

Also, LOVED your CMBB movie. I couldn't tell what happened to that Tiger. Was it knocked out by one of the t-34's?

I also love how that german tank crew beetles off at top speed, with shells bursting all around them.

Cool.

Glad you liked the movie! I don't know why it took so long for me to host it.

The Tiger had a gun hit and was shocked, so it pulled back and stayed just out of sight. The second tank is not a Stug, but a Pz III.

All the ground troops were elite, because I had to keep them from ducking into the buildings (Which happens once or twice in the movie), so they wouldn't turn the buildings transparent. The biggest reason why that PzIII got hit with 2 molotovs. ;)

The T34's were elite also, I thought originally that the Tiger would eat their lunch.

On top of all that I had 2 or 3 German spotters bombing the street to keep things interesting. :D

Soddball: I have space now, you can sent more if you want. You can also use the other email address I sent.

Gyrene

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I think that the StuG III is the one that was made from an FV.432 (British APC, like the M113) for Band of Brothers.

Well spotted. The drive and the 6 main bogies are identical to that on the FV 432.

Looks like the hull was extended however because the FV432 has five, rather than the six bogies as per this 'Stug'.

PS the fighting structure compartment looks slightly high as well.

Mace

The chap on the left is registered here as Darsalon, a uni chum who has been a long-suffering ale companion for nigh on a decade.

The chap on the right is registered here as Simon Elwen, who lives about 2 miles away from me and is also a tanking fan.

Ugly, aren't they? I'm cute, but then SOMEONE had to take the photos.

Originally posted by Soddball:

The chap on the right is registered here as Simon Elwen

Not my Simon? Who I nurtered as a squire and sheep pen muckraker Cesspooler?

*gets teary...blows nose HONK*

How quickly they grown up and leave home!! *HONK...blows nose again*

Mace

I posted this info in the GF but will repost it here:

Some notes on the photos so far:

This year there was a visible increase in modern equipment. In particular, Russian 1980s gear appeared - a BMP-1, a ZSU23-4 (which looked really cool) and some T72s. The world's only privately-owned Challenger tank is just immense. The Centurion AVRE looked really good, too.

The Valentine DD tank was a Mark 9 mounting a 6pdr. The inside was pretty spacious for a 3-man crew, all things considered.

What surprised me is the ground clearance - about 18 inches or so and I had imagined there to be much less ground clearance under the tank.

In a couple of the photos you can also see a Comet and an M10 Achilles - it's the one from Channel 4's "Salvage Squad" series and won first prize for 'Best Tank' at the show this year.

The 'Ugly Stick' photos show Simon Elwen and Darsalon enjoying themselves cuddling up to a US halftrack and a Panzer IV. Simon is the one on the right.

The Tiger photos are of a T-34/Tiger conversion which looked great racing around the arena.

Those who were concerned that heart failure had killed off the Lard SS guy from last time will be pleased to note that he is still moving (just) in the 'WehrmachtWeightWatchers' photo although I understand that no uniforms were available to fit so he is wearing a camo-ed tent instead. Notice how his belt is used to hoist the belly just high enough to keep it from snagging on his weapon.

'Rolling Thunder' was a Vietnam recreation group who had a tremendous time shooting at each other. One of the photos has a truck with what looks like a quad-50 mounted on it although groggles can correct me.

This being the 60th anniversary of D-Day, a Normandy recreation was the final big spectacle and I've picked the seven best photos.

The Stuarts firing their .50 cals (see Normandy7) were truly awesome. I want someone to mod that noise for my guns in CM! It made me want to flip out and kick someone right in the face.

The 37mm gun on the Greyhound was pretty quiet but the Sherman's gun was louder than anything except the simulated artillery.

Some of the non-vehicle stuff is shown in the wargamers photos. The game area (as you can see) is a real work of art. In the background there's a chap selling prints of various militaria and there was an immense tent full of tank models, kits and stuff for sale. The War and Peace show is definitely one for the modellers.

The BMP-1 is an interesting piece of machinery. There are three gun ports on each side at different angles, and the engine is front mounted with doors in the back to allow soldiers to climb in. It doesn't look as though it would be much cop on the battlefield, but it does look like an efficient crowd suppressor.

If anyone can tell me what the vehicle photographed as 'German AC' is I would be grateful.

"1stKuchenEssenSS" is mangled German for 1st Cake Eaters - a reference to the general lardosity of the re-enactors. You can see that in the 'MG42Tripod' photo I managed to also get in one of the few known examples of the Nazi Party's "Positive Discrimination" laws.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Gyrene and Soddball,

Great site, thanks for the pics, and whose radioactive grass mod is that in the pillbox mod preview?! War and Peace 2004 must've been a hoot.

Regards,

John Kettler

LOL the grass is the stock CMBO GolfCourseChemicalSoup.

Gyrene