The sand begs for griddyness

Or at least I do.

See, I'm pretty much a plain kinda guy. I drive a plain white truck, I live in a plain pink house, and my CMBO/CMBB are stock plain.

Now, nothin against mods mind you. In fact I love the beautiful modded Tank pics and such and even experimented with a few. But, I have never felt the NEED to mod my fav past-time cause its great stock. Until now with CMAK, I've lost too many men to machineguns in open ground when there was a waddi near by I should have noticed.

I ask the help of you incredible modders (folks with too much time on their hands and who have better tools then "Paint") to create a nice subtle grid for the sand or at least a heavier shading for elevation.

Thanks,

GP

Uh, I know Pink isn't extacly plain but we now live in Arizona where pink is a "standard" stucco color. My wife says its mauvo-adobie but I say its pink... My kindergarten crayola box only had 16 colors so...

I think you have a point, GP. I don't usually have any problem reading the height of terrain on grass because the tint shades off enough to give me a clue. But the sand is so even-colored that it quite escapes me. I was looking at a map a few nights ago that looked fairly flat in all the views except 1. When I got down into 1 I was astounded to discover just how rugged the map was, criss-crossed with wadis and several depressions.

I don't personally like grids. Somehow they just don't feel right to me. I'd love contour lines but realize they aren't feasible with the present graphics engine. So what I would hope for is enhanced contrast shading between low ground and high. Could this be applied to all types of desert terrain and not just sand?

Michael

What they said.

Also, someone please make a "rocky" mod that blazes like a neon sign, because so far every offering I've seen is essentially invisible above view "2".

Those who want soft flowing eye candy can use whats there. Me, I'm a tactician not a sightseer and I need to be able to read the bleeding map.

Originally posted by JasonC:

What they said.

Also, someone please make a "rocky" mod that blazes like a neon sign, because so far every offering I've seen is essentially invisible above view "2".

Those who want soft flowing eye candy can use whats there. Me, I'm a tactician not a sightseer and I need to be able to read the bleeding map.

If I ever get my HD back, I think I can help...

Originally posted by JasonC:

What they said.

Although I don't feel quite as strongly about it, I agree. I think it could look nice and be readable. Tinting the cell a natural color that is distinct from all the others in use would do nicely. I wonder what colors were common on the Libyan Plateau? I've seen color photos taken in the rest of the Sahara, but not much from Libya. Just taking a SWAG I think I would go with an orangish-tan. The thing is, could that color be made NA-specific? My guess is not, the game uses the same BMPs in both theaters, right? So it would have to look okay and in place in both theaters.

Michael

[ December 19, 2003, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Aren't there different BMPs for the top down view of terrain features? I know there are for trees because someone has a nice mode that removes trees from the top down view. Then you can use extreme trees for the isometric views and not have to switch to no trees when you want to find something, you just have to go to down. Works great. I wonder if we can do the same thing here, at least for rocky terrain?

I must agree with u guys, the terrain graphics need improving in the desert, I'm getting fed up changing my screen view to level 1 to see if the enemy can see my guys heads sticking up in front of their sights. Other than that the graphics are good enough and the tank detail is excellent.

Looking for someone to play against by email..

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JasonC:

What they said.

If I ever get my HD back, I think I can help... </font>

Sorry redwolf, I disagree. I want the two graphics differentiating rocky from rough to stay in. Even though the difference is only apparent in the lower views, I use them enough to find the distinction immediately recognizable. What needs to change is to make rocky visible from the higher viewpoints.

Here's an idea I'll toss out: would it be possible to make the basic appearance of the terrain cell a kind of gravelly gray texture, or is that hard-coded?

Michael

Doesn't work. As is, rocky terrain is only visible as doodads. Just like steppe terrain in CMBB. There is no separate "rocky ground tile". And the rock doodad cannot be made larger than what it is, because the BMP is stretched to certain frame.

And in any case rocks are not visible, I think, in views 4 and 5. Which is a bore, but not as bad as steppe in CMBB which is only visible from levels 1 and 2!!!! :mad:

But maybe changing the tone of the rocks to something darker or brighter, anyway something that separates easier from the background, would help. Or make them "Guantánamo orange" or somefink.

Preferably of course BFC would change the situation.

May I add that this is the curse that came with the blessed doodads. In CM every terrain type had their own ground tile: brush, grain, rough, even types of forest even though you could have seen the forest from the trees. But CMBB introduced doodads; it also introduced the first doodad-only terrain types: steppe and rocky.

Michael - There are 2 bmp files for each of the two models of rock (depending on the location i.e. Italy or Africa). Unfortunately, these rock models are used for both the ROUGH terrain and the ROCKY terrain. Therefore, using this mod will result in ALL rocks being bright red.

NOTE: the ROUGH terrain rocks disappear at camera view 4, while the ROCKY rocks disappear at camera view 5.