Another Installment of Panzer Colors - Screenies for Modders

Let's talk about, well you know, tri-colors. No, not the life style. Camouflage! Now tri-colors are quite lovely and there have been some beautiful tri-color mods. Many beautiful tri-color mods. There's a lot to be said for bi-colors too. Infact, bi-color schemes in the pictoral record seem to be in the majority up until mid to midlate war following the start of the German defensive war in the West. A good many reasons for that ofcourse. Let's take a look here at some '41-42' bi-color schemes. First, a zebra camo from the winter. And then the green on gray is just what one might expect to see for the spring season.

From "Panzer Colors", Camouflage of the German Panzer Forces 1939-45, by Bruce Culver and Bill Murphy, Squadron Signal Publications, 1976.

pzkpfwiii_j_41_42.jpg

From "Panzer Colors", Camouflage of the German Panzer Forces 1939-45, by Bruce Culver and Bill Murphy, Squadron Signal Publications, 1976.

wespe_105mm_42.jpg

sdkfz251_1c_42.jpg

Note the use of extra tracks mounted on the halftrack engine hull to protect the vital area along with the color coded yellow vehicle number.

Three fine examples of bi-color zebra and wave patterns in use during the early part of the war.

[ January 02, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Here you are Tracer.

Okay, now Stugs ya say. Lemme see, how do these look. I particularly like this first one. And, by jimminey it's a tri-color.

stugiii_g_44.jpg

stugiii_g_44_b.jpg

And a captured T-34.

cap_t34_42_43.jpg

Thought you'd like this last one.

[ January 03, 2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

No problem guys, the whole idea is to help the modders, who help the rest of us to have an even more enjoyable game. The stock graphics done for the game are fine and look good, but the mods that have been done are outstanding, many times incredibly realistic. Glad to be of service.

Tracer, if you want the full packet sent to you, just email me.

[ January 03, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

I'm surprised modders haven't gone Stug-crazy with mods, considering the bewildering variety of Stug we have to play with.

Most of what I've seen (and I admit I haven't seen them all) have been modest - one might almost say conservative treatments, mostly to get a winter white or CMMOS-style dirt on them. Where are the crazy patterns? Where are the missing/damaged side panels? It should be pretty easy altering the plain yellow variants. They're just crying out for modding.

Dust. Someone say dust. Then too, there's always someone like me around to point out that the Germans didn't always have sufficient supplies to spruce up those vehicles the way they might have otherwise. Now let's take a look see how good ole dirt and mud was used in lieu of paint for camouflage.

marderii_44.jpg

From "SS Armor" A Pictorial History of the Armored Formations of the Waffen-SS, by Robert C. Stern, Squadron Signal Publications, 1978

sdkfz251_3_44.jpg

sdkfz251_3d_44_45.jpg

Note how the dirt and mud is either purposely applied or at least encouraged in order to better blend in with the environment.

[ January 03, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm surprised modders haven't gone Stug-crazy with mods, considering the bewildering variety of Stug we have to play with.

Where are the missing/damaged side panels?.

I couldn't agree more about this. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

At least i made a start on the side skirts .I was hoping to see more along this line. smile.gif

SIDE.JPG