CMAK Cover Art - will the Germans get to win this time?

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Frankly, I'd rather see a bunch of German Fallschirmjager hitting the silk over Crete or maybe a view looking up from the Allied lines towards the abbey at Monte Cassino (pre-bombardment). I'd like something that suggests there is more to the game than the desert war.

On a side note, DaveH, Sodball, etc., if you think the game glorifies war, why are you here? Why do you play it or participate on this forum? I ask in all seriousness.

Steve

You really ARE from Oklahoma aren't you.

Combat Mission Afrika Korps and YOU want a picture of Crete or Italy ... what a doofus!

I want a picture of German Schnellboots attacking a British convoy in the Med that's taking vital supplies to THE AFRIKA KORPS!

The cover HAS to be appropriate to the conflict, never hire an attorney to do the job ... actually just never hire an attorney, that's probably best.

Joe

p.s. I MAY be coming to Dallas in November, arrange Cowboy tickets for me and I like BBQ so that MrsSpkr can prepare.

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

p.s. I MAY be coming to Dallas in November, arrange Cowboy tickets for me and I like BBQ so that MrsSpkr can prepare.

The Cowboys tickets aren't hard -- Jerry has to give them away to avoid the network blackout rule.

BBQ can be arranged.

Bring a laptop.

Steve

I think BF should use this as an opportunity for revenue.

How a kilted brit swigging from a well known cola brand while surveying German wreckage that includes the other well known cola brand.

Is that selling out? Should be worth a few dollars.

On the other hand I have just borrowed a book from a guy on Crete with just photos. Translations in Greek / English / German. There is a wonderful photo there of a german despatch riders face with a pair of leather and darkened glass goggles. His face looks sandblasted and his lips are coated with dust. It makes me think "Here am I in this wasteland. What the bloody hell am I doing".

(Its by George Panayiotakis and is called 'The Battle for Crete'- Hepaklion 1993) It was bought in a sportswear shop in Crete so I dont know if its available.)

[ September 16, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: ScouseJedi ]

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Combat Mission Afrika Korps and YOU want a picture of Crete or Italy ... what a doofus!

The cover HAS to be appropriate to the conflict[/qb]

Are you joking? I can't really tell. But if you arent, then you are the doofus! tongue.gif

And there aint nottin' wrong wit Okahoma!

Originally posted by Cpl Dodge:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

The cover HAS to be appropriate to the conflict

Are you joking? I can't really tell. But if you arent, then you are the doofus! tongue.gif

And there aint nottin' wrong wit Okahoma! [/QB]</font>

As to being serious ... do YOU think it would be a good idea to put a picture of a NAVAL combat on a LAND wargame?
naval combat? :confused: What does that have to do with anything, other than your silly comment that I discarded. I was NOT wondering if you were being serious about the naval picture (You should have known that since I left it out of the quote). I was wondering if you were being serious about calling Mr Spkr a doofus because he wanted a picture from italy or crete. And I am still wondering.

And, btw, actually I do think that would be a good idea, especially since some people, perhaps you including, keep forgetting that CMAK involves much more than just Africa.

Isn't the State slogan: 'Holding up the fun-house mirror to Texas'?

I am afraid it is much worse than that. It is 'Oklahoma is OK'. That is so embarrasing. :(

Originally posted by Cpl Dodge:

I was wondering if you were being serious about calling Mr Spkr a doofus because he wanted a picture from italy or crete. And I am still wondering.

Cpl Dodge, you should probably know that MrSpkr and Joe Shaw are in fact brothers, torn from ech other and separated by the chaos and conflict of the Peng Challenge Thread.

When they call each other all sorts of foul and perfectly applicable names, it is only a sign of the anguish they feel at being on the same side of a conflict of epic proportions, lost in a world they never made.

Also, they're both pretty much doofuses.

Here's a crazy idea. How about cover art with no tanks at all. Nope, not a single AFV, jeep or anything else running on a combustion engine. Maybe, since the war in the desert was overwhelmingly fought by infantry, we could see troops cowering in trenches or crawling like iguanas across the flat sands. If not that, perhaps a shot of a few Italian soldiers (since they started the whole damn mess and their were a few of them around) sweating to death as they're marched off to POW camp or maybe even (and this IS a crazy idea) a few members of the Indian contingent.

If none of these are acceptable, I vote for yet another image of some motley assortment of armoured vehicles leaving a cloud of dust in their path from which emerge the faces of Rommel, Patton and/or Montgomery.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Dodge:

I was wondering if you were being serious about calling Mr Spkr a doofus because he wanted a picture from italy or crete. And I am still wondering.

Cpl Dodge, you should probably know that MrSpkr and Joe Shaw are in fact brothers, torn from ech other and separated by the chaos and conflict of the Peng Challenge Thread.

When they call each other all sorts of foul and perfectly applicable names, it is only a sign of the anguish they feel at being on the same side of a conflict of epic proportions, lost in a world they never made.</font>

Interesting that their first rule of safety is "To avoid dangerous riccochets while checking a firearm to see if it is loaded, always be sure to have it pointed directly toward a soft object such as the belly or butt of your best friend. Then, work the action and pull the trigger. Repeat as necessary until you are certain that the firearm contains no further ammunition."

Strange people the Scouts have become...

Michael

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Desert Fox?

He is pretty well the sole historic icon of the the North African Theater - glorification or not. A hand drawn picture of Erwin Rommel in a that famous photo of him in a captured British lorry would be great. Some historians call him a tactical genius - others characterize him as a ruthless master of a modern killing machine. Whatever he really was, for this game at least, I don't believe his value, even for the artwork, should be overlooked.

jim.

Originally posted by jimcorrigan:

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Desert Fox?

He is pretty well the sole historic icon of the the North African Theater - glorification or not. A hand drawn picture of Erwin Rommel in a that famous photo of him in a captured British lorry would be great. Some historians call him a tactical genius - others characterize him as a ruthless master of a modern killing machine. Whatever he really was, for this game at least, I don't believe his value, even for the artwork, should be overlooked.

jim.

Erwin Rommel: ruthless master of a modern killing machine, or cheap marketing ploy? You decide.

Steve

Okay guys, thats enough. The cover art has been decided on for some time now, and at least one person above is VERY WARM as to what we went with.

You will all see it soon enough.

By the way, you should see the new splash art for the CMBB:Special Edition, very cool.

Madmatt