Is this game worth it?

Originally posted by Kryzith:

I just ordered this game the other day. On a 1-10 scale of wargames, how does this one rate. Either way i'll still have the two games, but id like to know if a made a good decision

You made a good decision! I recommend that you read this and that thoroughly if you haven't already.

This will help prepare you for many hours of nailbiting, desk thumping and many other types of irrational behaviour. smile.gif

Consider yourself warned.

KC

You wont be disappointed. In fact I think you will be pleasantly surprised at all of the attention to detail that was put into this game. (I hesitate to call it a game) If you are looking for fast paced action, blood, gore and funky looking space weapons with lights and neat sounds then no. But if you are looking for quality and craftsmanship and have an interest in history and accuracy then yes you will like it. In brief, a 12.

If u love WWII or even war in genral and or stratagys You should be set for a few years coming! Be prepared for long nights infront of your PC I hope your not married. This isnt a game its a legacy! dont play it as a game Your the commader on a real life Battlefield. You should love this game its not everybodys cup of tea because of the realism. From day one you'll play I have no dought you will have a lot of learning to do no matter how good you think you are at other games> Iam rambling now but truely its the game that'll end your social life for a while

I think the magazine reviews speak for themselves. You will not find a more realistic representation of tactical WWII combat.

hint: Replace some of the CMBO graphics with user made mods and you'll have some sharp looking battles. CMBB graphics are good out of the box.

Overall i would give CMBB 9

Game engine 8:

Its bit old and doesnt allow features like multi turreted vehicles. Also some LOS calculations by TAC AI(ie. seeking LOS cover when under fire)can't be done with infantry.

There isn't campaignmode.

Graphics 7:

Not up to date. Mostly because old game engine.

3d models for houses are simple cubes and infantry models have also very low polygon count. Animations are also quite simple and repeating.

Ability from modding (making new BMP textures for existing models) is huge +.

Historical accuracy 10:

Best you can get. Penetration data for armor couldnt be much better. Also other areas have gone through huge research.

Replayability 10:

I played from when CMBO came out...still not bored. Map editor and custom scenarios/operations make this game live long thats sure.

Sounds 9:

Stock sounds are great and all is moddable.

Its great game that will get you addicted like of crack. Just look all those fanboys here. :D They will propably flame me from judging CMBB graphics.

[ January 03, 2003, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: illo ]

Hi, KwK.

Reason is, because they were there.

East front can well go without T-28 or Grant. There many battles these tanks were in but I guess they can be substituted by other vehicles.

However multi turreted vehicles will be MUST for next versions of CM. Can you imagine Afrika without Grants and Lees. ;)

Guest Sgt. Emren

The perfect game doesn't exist. Therefore, CMBB cannot get moer than a near-perfect, i.e. a 9. But sometimes it sure feels like [silly Joe Pesci voice]BORDERLINE LEBEN![/silly Joe Pesci voice].

;)

[ January 03, 2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Sgt. Emren ]

I'm sure the BFC guys would agree this game is not perfect. If it was, there sure would be no reason for them to work on the third installment.

On the other hand, if there is another game which comes close to providing the experiences of relief :cool: , surprise :eek: , disbelief :mad: , and frustration :( that CMBO and CMBB have, I haven't found it. I've been playing for well over a year, and I'm playing more now than ever before. smile.gif

I give it a 9.99 out of 10, until another game raises the bar of perfection.

Originally posted by illo:

Overall i would give CMBB 9

Game engine 8:

Its bit old and doesnt allow features like multi turreted vehicles. Also some LOS calculations by TAC AI(ie. seeking LOS cover when under fire)can't be done with infantry.

There isn't campaignmode.

Graphics 7:

Not up to date. Mostly because old game engine.

3d models for houses are simple cubes and infantry models have also very low polygon count. Animations are also quite simple and repeating.

Ability from modding (making new BMP textures for existing models) is huge +.

Historical accuracy 10:

Best you can get. Penetration data for armor couldnt be much better. Also other areas have gone through huge research.

Replayability 10:

I played from when CMBO came out...still not bored. Map editor and custom scenarios/operations make this game live long thats sure.

Sounds 9:

Stock sounds are great and all is moddable.

Its great game that will get you addicted like of crack. Just look all those fanboys here. :D They will propably flame me from judging CMBB graphics.

I agree

good call

GREAT review I completely agree with ALL of your points

AND

Game engine only gets an 8 because tanks do not block LOS and LOF, all units can fire and get LOS straight through ALL vechicles (including bunkers and pillboxes) that are NOT smoking and burning. AND only an 8 on account of absolute spotting. Those two factors are the biggies in the "Game engine lacking features dept."

BUT the game still gets a 9 OVERALL! smile.gif

-tom w

Well I give it a 10, Why?? well if the game were anymore graphic intense, (and yes it is a little behind) you would have to have a mega machine to run the game,(I have and so do some others, but the majority don't have mega machines) because the eye candy isn't all that make this a great game, people b***h about the AI, but it is excellent compared to some of the other games and the command and control is also, so with all this combined, (you see my point about mega machine, try to run the Volga battle) As far as the game goes it's the best I've found so far, maybe someone will make a better one some day

Do NOT believe Fly Pushers sig. Us Finns had to use both hands while firing the Maxim. We had a Swedish biatch fetching us more ammo for it :D

/Edited/

Above text has not been edited. I just noticed that it doesnt sound even remotely as funny as I meant it. Apology to the Swedes is in order.

[ January 03, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Jussi Köhler ]