Congratulations for the success of CMBB and Battlefront

Its been a few years, and a few PCs ago, since I played CMBB. Facing a long overseas business trip, I blew the dust off the game and installed it on my work laptop. Imagine my pleasure at trying to find and install the patches: 4 successive Battlefront screens that only led to 3 different subscription services all of which required "registration" and "subscription" or offered "free" services which were never free, open or completely functional. So congratulations on your mass market level of success, now your company like so many others can offer the customer support that we the masses truly deserve. And, the 3 Battlefront games I do own how make great drink coasters!

Admittedly I purchased after the patches had been made, but my purchased product is fully patched and very workable. I have also already found the members of the forum and the people of battlefront to be extremely helpful. Posts like yours are detrimental to the overall experience and may actually make people believe the game NEEDS patched. For that reason I am posting here to assure all newbies and potential shoppers, such as I myself was a few weeks ago, that the game if purchased now, is already fully patched and a very excellent product.

He has an excellent point. He shouldn't have to go to another place to get a patch. He shouldn't have to register elsewhere, no matter what the monetary cost.

I understand BTS/BFC putting patches out at alternate locations initially. But on the morning after the "night of the refreshing monkeys," the patches should be available without using a third party.

Originally posted by ubik2:

Its been a few years, and a few PCs ago, since I played CMBB. Facing a long overseas business trip, I blew the dust off the game and installed it on my work laptop. Imagine my pleasure at trying to find and install the patches: 4 successive Battlefront screens that only led to 3 different subscription services all of which required "registration" and "subscription" or offered "free" services which were never free, open or completely functional. So congratulations on your mass market level of success, now your company like so many others can offer the customer support that we the masses truly deserve. And, the 3 Battlefront games I do own how make great drink coasters!

stop-whining_small.jpg

The lastest version of CMBB goes out already patched. For those who have an older version and want it patched, all they have to do is download it from the likes of Fileplanet, it takes like a minute to set up an account plus its Free.

At any rate most other companies do this to, when ive patched games in the past, like 75% of the time had to go to the likes of fileplanet etc

Originally posted by The_Enigma:

The lastest version of CMBB goes out already patched. For those who have an older version and want it patched, all they have to do is download it from the likes of Fileplanet, it takes like a minute to set up an account plus its Free.

You're still missing his point. He shouldn't have to do any of that. He shouldn't have to register anywere else. No matter how "easy" you think it is. No matter the cost.

At any rate most other companies do this to, when ive patched games in the past, like 75% of the time had to go to the likes of fileplanet etc

Ah yes, falling back to Sun Tzu's Classic Lemming/Teenager Strategy. Interesting and yet revealing move.

Not sure when these have been added (probably after the OP's whining post), but there is a direct BFC download link now.

Oh, and it seems our webmaster at the Onion Wars campaign site has added one, too.

BTW, I've played all three games extensively, and I'd say that you can play them for years without ever noticing the difference between the original and the fully patched versions. Which is, ahem, uncommon for computer games. So much for "broken" software.

And while we're at it, how long does it take to find a download site for the patch which does not require you to register? You've heard of search engines?

Let's see.... 20 seconds.

http://downloads.gamezone.com/demosfiles/t9754.htm

CMAK... 15 seconds. Etc. etc.

Oh, but the link was at the top of PAGE TWO of the Google results, and you never, ever look at anything that is not on the first page? OK, right. You're screwed.

Could someone enlighten me as to what this thread is really about?

If you click on Downloads at the top left-hand portion of this page and bother to spend more than two seconds reading what pops up on the screen your first option for downloading patches is to download from the Battlefront server. I just tested it for both CMBB and CMAK patches, and both links work. You don't register anything with anybody. You just download. Punto final. Either I'm missing something really fundamental, someone else is missing something really fundamental, or someone is being intentionally malicious.

I'm assuming the alternate options are there as a courtesy in case there's such a rush of activity downloading from the Battlefront server that it becomes hard to use (e.g. the Night of the Refreshing Monkeys). But an option is only an option, you're not required to use it, and it isn't even the first option. The first option listed is to use the Battlefront server, which is unregistered, works very nicely, and is free.

Perhaps there's something going on here that you're not telling us about? Are you afraid to have direct contact with the company's server for some reason?

Originally posted by Zarquon:

And while we're at it, how long does it take to find a download site for the patch which does not require you to register? You've heard of search engines?

Let's see.... 20 seconds.

http://downloads.gamezone.com/demosfiles/t9754.htm

CMAK... 15 seconds. Etc. etc.

Oh, but the link was at the top of PAGE TWO of the Google results, and you never, ever look at anything that is not on the first page? OK, right. You're screwed.

I got you beat, 10 seconds from FileFront.

Originally posted by -E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The_Enigma:

You're still missing his point. He shouldn't have to do any of that. He shouldn't have to register anywere else. No matter how "easy" you think it is. No matter the cost.

Ah yes, falling back to Sun Tzu's Classic Lemming/Teenager Strategy. Interesting and yet revealing move. </font>