What's with the comic book cover?

is there a bitmap for this? i downloaded the Red Victory (i think) interface mod. it has the picture of the Reichstag with the Soviet banner over it. brilliant. but the splash screen is still the cartoonish StuG in the snow. is that changable too?

if you haven't guessed by now number 5, most of the way the game looks can be changed. there are some people here who do amazing work. go to CM Mods to download them. the first thing you need is the gridded terrain to help you see the lay of the land better. if you're looking for opponents i quite like The Proving Grounds.

welcome to the forum 5TH_HORSEMAN.

Originally posted by 5TH_HORSEMAN:

That terrain grid..is that like contour lines? My many years of reading contour maps has warped my mind, I'm lost without them curvy little lines.

No, unfortunately there are no contour lines to be had in CM yet. Maybe in a couple of years after the engine rewrite. I plan to lobby hard for it when the time is ripe. You are welcome to join the party.

Michael

what it does is put a thin grid over the terrain so you can see the rises & falls better. not as good as contours to join areas of equal height but useful nontheless.

contour lines would be cool. also, being able to press "alt Y" or something & multiplying the Y axis by 1.5/3 etc in the orders, or even in the preliminary planning stage, would be useful.

Re: terrain grid, would anyone like to have gridded tree bases/field? Unlike open ground, these don't change their colour by elevation, so maps with lots of woods and fields are difficult to figure. I have made a little remedy for this. If someone thinks it would be useful, I can upload it.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Re: terrain grid, would anyone like to have gridded tree bases/field? Unlike open ground, these don't change their colour by elevation, so maps with lots of woods and fields are difficult to figure. I have made a little remedy for this. If someone thinks it would be useful, I can upload it.

Please do, it would come handy in some maps.

I've said this before, there's two types of CM players: The 'Historical purist' and the 'play-to-win' type. The play-to-win type wants all advantages and gridded grass gives him a leg up in conquering he game. Historical purists want to be emersed in the environment and gridded grass is a jarring reminder that he's not really on the Russian steppes in 1944, but just sitting at his pc.

So whether you'd appreciate gridded grass depends entirely on your personality type.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I've said this before, there's two types of CM players: The 'Historical purist' and the 'play-to-win' type. The play-to-win type wants all advantages and gridded grass gives him a leg up in conquering he game. Historical purists want to be emersed in the environment and gridded grass is a jarring reminder that he's not really on the Russian steppes in 1944, but just sitting at his pc.

So whether you'd appreciate gridded grass depends entirely on your personality type.

I don't agree with that at all.

I use Capt.Wacky's gridded terrain mod simply because it's much easier to see elevation changes, especially on maps covered with snow. I also use "bases on" and unit sizes +1. Not to gain some kind of advantage but simply to minimize the tedious tasks caused by the game engine's limitations. In the real world I don't have to stare at a tank's position for half a minute to see if there's a berm in front of it...

Couldn't care less about winning/loosing.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I use contrasting colours as eichenbaum points out and am neither a historical purist nor a play to win type.

Silly me, I play CM to have fun...