Proper use of panzergrenadiers w/ armor?

Originally posted by Barrett:

I'm new to CMBB, and I can't figure out how to use panzergrenadiers along with tanks. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to use them with my tanks to the best effect? And just for clarification, I usually play as the Germans.

Some scattered infos on halftracks - use them to support your own experience and thinking:

The halftracks where to transport the troops to battle (not thru it!), then to give fire support by keyholing on single targets.

Troops riding on HTs are only good if the HT is out of enemy LOS or you are sure there are no heavy weapons with LOS on its path. (Ie bringing up reserves). But running the troops thru the open may be as murderous as transporting them there. Both should be avoided. If you can't - expect casualties.

Disembark only in scattered trees or behind cover.

Consider the situation upon disembarking. Trops jump out of the HT, not knowing where they are and where the next cover is. Location of the enemy is also unknown. A critical situation. Any incoming easily spreads panic and irrational behaviour. In game terms: Troops pin,panic&rout easily.

Sometimes it is possible to disembark directly on a heavily suppressed enemy. "Sometimes" as opposed to "often". If the enemy rallies, you are at a big disadvantage.

There are people who do not buy HTs as they are to fragile, or only bring them up late in the battle. Some even drive them off the board ASAP, to deny easy kills to the enemy.

My conclusion on them:

If you are on a huge map (esp. with covered communication routes), fast troop mobility is a plus. On small maps, they are a waste of points except for transporting very heavy weapons (guns only)

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Jack Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tweety:

And perhaps it's nice to know tanks don't block LOS. So if you are marching your troops behind your tanks or halftracks, the inf will get mauled.

why is that surly the tanks should give cover?

How come this hasnt been modled? </font>

Also, the TacAI would need to be taught to go around the tanks it cannot see through to get a line of fire. Since the other tanks can move that is a much more difficult task than for standing objects and TacAI tricks like that should be kept to a minimum (because everytime the TacAI becomes involved it may screw things up).

As for the halftracks, the main purpose, historically, was to move through areas with sporadic light artillery and sniper fire. In special, medium mortars (which are by far the most likely to fall on attacking fast infantry in halfway covered terrain) will not stop them.

In CM you should follow the same rule, keep out of any kind of heavy direct fire except from scouts. Halftracks are very expensive victory point wise. They cost 52 points for the vehicles and 12 for the two crewmen if you get both killed. The squad it carries costs around 35. Even if you got them "for free" in a scenario, you can lose an attack by giving enough VPs to the defender.

Originally posted by Moon:

Too much for the current engine to handle.

But not for the next one??? smile.gif

Half tracks are usefull for needed firepower late in a battle when much of the other side's armor may have been destroyed and your infantry is low on ammo. It's great to be able to drive a HT with its MG right to where the support is needed.