That wild Artillery !

A similar thing happenend with one of my German 150mm spotters in a QB on a pre-made map.

He aimed past a dustcloud from a recently destroyed house, but I checked it several times, the LOS was green at the target.

However the barrage fell at the correct range, only about 200m to the right.

It was in a PBEM, so if the file is required I could send it.

200 meters off is nothing!

In one of the senarios that comes on the CD, I had a spotter call in German 158mm rockets. The target point was 550 meters away down a clear road, no smoke or dust or anything. From a Tab level 1 zoom you could see the exact point. smile.gif

9 minutes latter the rockets arrived and landed across a 1km x 2km area, with the majority landing on my own forces that were 1.8km away. :eek:

Now that is what I call inaccurate!!! :mad:

Regards

A.E.B

Thanks for all that folks glad it a known problem and my computer doesn't hate me smile.gif (Mike the wino - how's the therapy going :eek: ). Maybe Matt/Martin and co at battlefront catch patch it up - sounds like a +/- maths issue to me.

Back to my (Doomed :( game) .......Now how am I going to charge these trenches with no Arty.........????????

Cheers All ;)

That's what I was about to mention. Rockets, especially big German rockets, are notorious area weapons. They're as likely to undershoot 500m and fall among your troops as overshoot 500m and fall off the map. These weapons are for betting men, because IF one or two rounds actually land where they ought you've just about won the game!

Another thing about the 'key to victory' line. This isn't like Tombraider. Sometime there is no key. Sometimes it's just an exercise to see how long you can keep from being routed. :rolleyes:

What about wind direction and velocity? Off board artillery is affected by even moderate winds. Whenever I have spotters, I always check the wind speed and direction, and plot the fall of the artillery appropriately. Comes a lot closer that attempting to land it directly on the desired target. Size of artillery round doesn't seem to matter...at least not that I can see.

The issue here is not whether any of these factors influence the fall of a shell (or rocket ?) The spotter is not going to order a Fire for effect until he is happy the spotting round is landing in the right place. The issue is that of entire salvo's every round, falling in the wrong place. The odd one fine, but all of them ?????? :confused: