1943 Russian Manual How to Destroy the Ferdinand

Originally posted by KG_Chipaev:

IT says what caliber round you need at those points to do damage to a ferdinand e.g. you need a 45mm round to kill the Ferdinand's gun when hitting it (at least 45mm)

Oh - I thought these where the paint-filled rounds just like oddball used them. Such a nice red color would look great on an Elefant and make the crew really mad.

Gruß

Joachim

The large white shell means "AP and HE from guns of all calibres" while the red one means "HE from guns of all calibres".

That is consistent from what one expects: to immobilize the Ferdinand hitting the tracks, almost anything goes, but to shoot on the frontal armour, you can only use HE hoping for internal spalling.

A.

Originally posted by Amedeo:

The large white shell means "AP and HE from guns of all calibres" while the red one means "HE from guns of all calibres".

That is consistent from what one expects: to immobilize the Ferdinand hitting the tracks, almost anything goes, but to shoot on the frontal armour, you can only use HE hoping for internal spalling.

So, technically so this diagram states, "comrades! We can take out the fascist Ferdinand when the magic AT gun rounds bombard it from all sides at the same time!" ;)

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Amedeo:

So, technically so this diagram states, "comrades! We can take out the fascist Ferdinand when the magic AT gun rounds bombard it from all sides at the same time!" ;) </font>

Originally posted by KG_Chipaev:

Basically what Amadeo said, they have to tell the Red ARmy something, so they basically bend a few statements to make them ALMOST true.

Well, it's the basis of propaganda. Probably had a better impact on troop morale than distributing a leaflet that states, "meet this fascist tank and you're pretty much toast. Run away, comrade!". ;)

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Probably had a better impact on troop morale than distributing a leaflet that states, "meet this fascist tank and you're pretty much toast. Run away, comrade!". ;)

I dunno, works for me. If I ever had to face up to a Ferdinand armed only with an ATR I reckon I'd probably adopt my best "Brave Sir Robin" impersonation and bugger off quick smart!

Regards

Jim R.