1943 Russian Manual How to Destroy the Ferdinand

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

I dunno, works for me. If I ever had to face up to a Ferdinand armed only with an ATR I reckon I'd probably adopt my best "Brave Sir Robin" impersonation and bugger off quick smart!

*Whips out a Tokarev*

Whaaat! I will not hear this counter-revolutionary disinformation! The antitank rifle of the Great Patriotic Army of United Workers will penetrate the front of any German armor. If not the first shot, then the second! UUUURRRRAAAAAA!! :mad:

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Hey Bone_Vulture... that was some reaction from the supposed "anti-comedy" brigade :D

Signature changed accordingly. I found the line to be a bit morbid, remembering the movie "JFK", but 'twas very witty indeed. ;)

[EDIT]

Oh yeah, and remember that the weight is on "comedy".... Anti-"comedy".

That's "comedy" as in "is that a 88/L71 or are you just happy to see me?".

[ April 19, 2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Bone_Vulture ]

Whaaat! I will not hear this counter-revolutionary disinformation! The antitank rifle of the Great Patriotic Army of United Workers will penetrate the front of any German armor. I
If you read the soviet Kursk Battle AAR, you could learn what one of the 21 Ferdinantswhich were killed had the only damage - ATR shot-thru its barrel and rendered Ferdinand unsuable, so crew abandoned the vehicle.

Originally posted by KG_Chipaev:

Well Joachim, since you're so bright, why don't you tell us what the Big Red and Big White one at the bottom mean? Or can't you read Russian such as moi?

I had two years of Russian, but not a single year of small print.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by tools4fools:

Seems on the first drawing that they forget to tell the comerades that the rear hatch should be open to throw a handgrenade in...

Actually, I believe those aren't just regular grenades, but RPG-43s. They are hand-thrown HEAT rounds with a 75mm penetration. Hence, the other diagram showing what looks like a hand grenade being thrown upon the top of the Ferdinand. I know of no German tank that could defeat an RPG-43 with its top armor.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Perhaps it's listed as an Elefant? They were known under either name.

Two slightly different tanks. According to the excel chart, the Ferdinand is available from July '43, and the Elephant from April '44.

No other discernible differences except an MG added to the Elephant.

Zitadelle,

Thanks for the great post.

Russian penetration range figures, like those of other nations, should always be looked at with suspicion at first examination. The Russians sometimes compared the face-hardened penetration of their guns to homogeneous armor on German tanks and calculated a range which was not correct.

Real firing test data has been found from Russian sources, the question is whether the Ferdinand figures are calculated or firing trial, and if calculated whether they used face-hardened penetration data.

Many sources say the Ferdinand and Elefant carried homogeneous armor.

At Kursk, a Ferdinand/Elefant was hit many times at close to medium range by 76.2mm rounds with only one non-damaging penetration.

OnWar site has following armor stats for Ferdinand:

Side

Hull has 60mm vertical and 80mm vertical

Superstructure has 80mm at 30 degrees from vert.

Rear

Lower hull has 80mm vert. and 80mm at 40 degrees from vert.

Superstructure has 80mm at 20 degrees from vert.

Russian data appears to show 85mm and 60mm for Ferdinand side armor.

Drawing indicates that 76.2mm AP penetrates 80mm/30 degrees at 300m, and 76.2mm APCR penetrates same armor at 300m.

76.2mm AP will not penetrate 80mm/30 degrees at 300m, even if it is pointed nose solid shot round. Russian data suggests 76.2mm APCR will not defeat 80mm/30 degrees at 300m.

45mm APCR penetrates 60mm vertical at 500m (Ferdinand might have 80mm vertical on upper and lower hull side vertical areas, this should be checked). Russian penetration data for 45mm M42 APCR has 80mm vertical at 500m.

Ferdinand penetration range drawings appear to show same range for 76.2mm APCR against 80mm vertical (side hull) and 80mm at 30 degrees from vertical (side superstructure), which is a little "iffy", someone forgot the impact of slope effect, which makes a 30 degree slope almost 40% more resistant than same plate at vertical.

The Russian penetration range figures look questionable.

One of the peculiarities of Russian penetration range data is that it often ignores great variations in armor slope.

Tiger driver plate and nose are same thickness at 9 and 25 degrees slope from vertical, same penetration range is given against both in Russian pamphlet on fighting German heavy tanks. This pamphlet is based on calculations since actual firing trials against a captured Tiger were not yet made when the pamphlet was written.

Ferdinand upper side hull and side superstructure is listed as 85mm and angles are 0 and 30 degrees, yet same range is given for 76.2mm APCR.

Seems like someone who didn't understand slope effect did the research and wrote the results in both of the above cases, which suggests that neither is based on firing trials.

It is possible that the ranges given against the Ferdinand are not penetration ranges but refer to when the target would be considered vulnerable and the first shots should be fired. I don't read Russian so maybe someone can translate what the ranges are supposed to mean.

Originally posted by KG_Chipaev:

Well Joachim, since you're so bright, why don't you tell us what the Big Red and Big White one at the bottom mean? Or can't you read Russian such as moi?

On the first picture Legend in the left bottom part means from top to down:

1. 45mm subcaliber projectile

2. 76.2vv subcaliber

3. AP with labelled caliber (in mm)

4. AP and HE from any caliber projectiles

5. HE from any caliber projectiles