Can men abandon their HMG? They can!

I just saw something totally absurd - a crew left it's HMG behind!

Night battle, just outside Berlin, a few conscript Volkssturm squads hold up against an all armored force. Needless to say they get ripped to shreds and fall back into this church, including a routed HMG crew.

The church takes one too many 120mm rounds and collapses, killing everyone inside except one person. 1/5 HMG Crew, armed with pistol, low ammo!

A few things to be noted:

1) It was definitely an HMG crew, I had no AT guns or anything that was crewable.

2) He did NOT surrender. He had a pistol - surrendered men drop their weapons immediately. If they come back to your side they are 'unarmed'.

I always thought HMG crews were stuck with their gun no matter what. Is it intended that they can 'lose' their HMG due to confusion of casualties? I've never seen it happen in 5 years of playing!

Might have something to do with the building collapsing. You didn't say wether it caught fire- perhaps an immobile (1 man) HMG would be allowed to leave his weapon without surrendering, to escape a burning building, or to escape a heavily damaged building under heavy shelling.

I'm just speculating, of course. I've never seen such an event either.

Originally posted by Aco4bn187inf:

Might have something to do with the building collapsing. You didn't say wether it caught fire- perhaps an immobile (1 man) HMG would be allowed to leave his weapon without surrendering, to escape a burning building, or to escape a heavily damaged building under heavy shelling.

I'm just speculating, of course. I've never seen such an event either.

That makes quite a bit of sense. Infact, I'd wager that's exactly what happened - the building didn't catch fire, but the remaining man tried to flee the heavily destroyed building by ditching his MG42. I've personally NEVER seen that happen, however. Typically they die with the gun no matter what the situation. I've seen a fair share of immobile HMG crews go up in flames.

As far as i can remember, once my HMG was in a bush hex that caught fire. The guys abandoned the gun.

But i can't guarantee that - think i will run a test line... Stay tuned...

[edit]

It is true!

I was able to spawn a 1-man pistol crew from a german HMG squad. Here are the screens:

fire18be.th.jpg

fire28sd.th.jpg

fire38sj.th.jpg

fire44td.th.jpg

Treebuster, i will send you the scenario!

Check your mail! =)

[edit2]

Just btw, the same happens to immobile Vehicels - i once lost a Matilda to the fire...

[ August 07, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: GAGA Extrem ]

Originally posted by GAGA Extrem:

It is true!

I was able to spawn a 1-man pistol crew from a german HMG squad. Here are the screens:

See! I told you guys, neener neener!

It seems they will only abandon at 1 guy though, unless someone can get a higher number. It's still amazing I've played so long and I've only seen it happen once. I suppose the odds of it happening are slim since it's a really spontaneous situation which usually ends in death to the HMG crew anyways...

Wait a second -- that last picture was inconclusive. The man running is not the same team whose information is at the bottom of the screen. The screen info shows that the team in question was an eliminated HMG team, with an HMG weapon.

Can you get a screenshot in which you select the living HMG team that is running away?

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Wait a second -- that last picture was inconclusive. The man running is not the same team whose information is at the bottom of the screen. The screen info shows that the team in question was an eliminated HMG team, with an HMG weapon.

Can you get a screenshot in which you select the living HMG team that is running away?

Steve

It's a little confusing, but what happens is it 'spawns' an one man crew. All those shots seem to be in the same time frame for sure, since all the HMG positions are in their exact spot. From what I understand, the HMG team 'dies' as 0/6, but then spawns a 1 man crew at 1/5. They are automaticly low ammo.

Steve, watch #3, there the crew is selected. It has the same name like the HMG.

You can still see the mud from the mortar hit near the guys.

Hmm, next thought: Counts the 'dead' MG as 6 casualties? What if the crew dies? More points for your enemy?

Indeed we are doomed, dead man walking...

...oh wait, that was that evil cm hack -.-

Hi guys,

It can happen.

One time it has also happened with one of may HMG crew. I remember, there was also some fire in the picture, and my men couldn't really come out from there because there was a wire also...and meantimes they were also shooted. So they panicked, wantet to run away. After that, they were killed, and at last only one lived, who than abandoned the HMG and left the place with a pistol.