Needed: English Teacher or Editor

Wanted for CMAK:

A English Teacher or Editor to correct spelling and grammar mistakes in the briefings. You will need to turn the briefings around fast, so do NOT apply if you don't have the time. This is a time intensive job, turn around times for briefings in under 24 hours. Second disadvantage of the job: You will see the briefings from both sides, so the element of surprise will be gone in the scenarios. You also must sign an NDA, and promise NOT to reveal anything you read or hear or see.

Payment: You get your name in the manual with our thanks, along with a free copy of CMAK once released. YOU DO NOT GET A BETA COPY OF CMAK. Let me stress this again, you do NOT become a beta team member. However, you will get an idea of what will be in CMAK from the briefings.

If interested post here, with what experience you have. I will pick one by the end of the day and send you the information in email.

Questions? Ask here.

Rune

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rune:

If interested post here, with what experience you have. I will pick one by the end of the day and send you the information in email.

Questions? Ask here.

Why only one? If the work is so intensive, why not split it between two or more people? I might be interested, but you are intimidating me.

Michael

Only need one, and good that I am intimidating, because it is fast and furious work, followed by moments of boredom. I will not sugar coat it, I want everyone to understand it is work.

Good thing is, it is only spelling and grammar checking. The format of the briefings will remain as they were for the CMBB release. Obvioudly the designers have final say, but there isn't mis-spelling on purpose too often. smile.gif Also the historical context doesn't have to be checked, that is up to the designer.

Rune

Rune, can you be a bit more specific about your requirements? How many briefings, how many per day, are you expecting turnaround seven days a week, etc.? I'm interested, but not if you're talking about a full-time job.

I've edited US government correspondence for years. Check any of my posts to see if you think I'm qualified.

Seanachai,

Go back to the Cheery Waffle thread where you belong.

Uh oh... I can already smell the flame wars about to come... I don't know if this is more of an insult to the followers of MasterGoodAle or the occultists of Peng, but I know it is an insult nevertheless... where's my asbestos overall and popcorn?

No, I cannot say how many, then everyone will think we are committed to that many scenarios, and you may do some that are weeded out and are not placed on the CD. That being said, per scenario I expect 1 full briefing plus 1 briefing for each side, a total of three per scenario, and I expect 1-2 scenarios at a time, and this will NOT be everyday, just when someone completes a briefing.

Rune

PS Mayhaps it was a slap to Seanachai? hehehehehe

rune - I've had two books published, numerous magazine articles, and have degrees in both History and Communications Studies (the study of written and verbal communication). I would love to be able to help out.

EDIT (heehee - isn't this the true test? Editing?) I also recently edited our regimental newsletter. Being published means someone else edits you, but if nothing else it shows my interest in the written word.

I've also done my share of self-editing on my GD scenario briefs, which you've seen, so editing someone else's scenario briefs would be no great leap.

As my 10,000 posts will demonstrate, I have lots of time on my hands for CM stuff... :D

[ September 04, 2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

rune, I've worked on the Oklahoma Law Review and taught first-year legal research and writing. I've also published in the law review, taught seminars on legislative drafting, and published various and sundry pamphlets and flyers for political campaigns and candidates. I'd be happy to help.

Steve

Guys,

Lets keep focus here. So far I got:

Michael Emrys as a maybe

Axe2121 showing definite interest

DaveH as a maybe

Grog Dorosh as a definite interest.

Remember this is about editing...and the scenarios ont eh cd will be ruined for surprises for you.

Rune

What is this, a test? :D

Guys,

Let's keep things in focus here. So far I have:

Michael Emrys showing some interest

DaveH showing some interest

Grog Dorosh showing definite interest

Remember this job is about editing...and the scenarios on the cd will hold no surprises for you.

Guys,

Lets keep focus here. So far I got:

Michael Emrys as a maybe

DaveH as a maybe

Grog Dorosh as a definite interest.

Remember this is about editing...and the scenarios ont eh cd will be ruined for surprises for you.

Rune

I would say give to Dave H the lad needs all the help in game that he can get. :D

rune, I've worked on the Oklahoma Law Review and taught first-year legal research and writing. I've also published in the law review, taught seminars on legislative drafting, and published various and sundry pamphlets and flyers for political campaigns and candidates. I'd be happy to help. Turn around time is not a problem.

Steve

Edited to elaborate: My duties as a member of the Oklahoma Law Review involved reviewing and editing article and note submissions. This included citation and fact checking the submissions as well as noting any grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors. Often I was required to conduct my review under extremely tight time deadlines (say, two days for a fifty page article).

As a first-year legal research and writing instructor, I assigned research and drafting projects to a group of about fifteen students, then reviewing each student's work, focusing not only on the substantive content but also the student's use of grammar and punctuation, the proper use of legal citations, and spelling ability. Generally, I collected weekly assignments on Friday and had to review, grade, and return them by the following Monday morning.

My classes on legislative drafting focused more on researching and drafting than on editing; however, I did review my student's work and did note any grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors.

My responsibilities as a political campaign manager included editing and reviewing the format and content of political flyers for distribution to a large number of eligible voters (anywhere from 2,000 up to 500,000, depending on the campaign and the project). Needless to say, accurate spelling and proper grammar were imperative.

Amazingly enough, I juggled all of the aforementioned responsibilities, plus a part-time job as a legal intern, plus my responsibilities as a husband and father of two (at that time) while taking fifteen hours a semester in law school.

Now, the only demands on my time are work and family. I have PLENTY of spare time available for this project.

Thanks --

Steve

[ September 04, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

I am not an English teacher nor editor but have extensive writing background with my work as a TV producer. I have had one book published (see -

http://www.merriam-press.com/mono_075/m068.htm) and I am currently editing another, "Nordwind et Wingen-sur-Moder" written by the late Col. Wallace Cheves who commanded the 2nd Bn/274th during the battle of Wingen. The unit was awarded the DUC for its actions during the battle.

If no one else comes forward I'd be happy to do it.

Posting what I sent via email.

[ September 04, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]