Oh, one day the designer of Pavlov's House shall pay, oh yes. (minor spoilers)

Hadn't tried to beat good ole Sgt. Pavlov in months, since the horrible failures.

I figure "hey, I'm getting better, plus I know more tactics and, you know, stuff." So onward into battle!

And this time....My tanks are all still alive after five turns! Marvelous! By turn 20 I have 6 squads in the rubble outside the house! Fantastic!

By turn 35, after the bloody Il-2s have made sure the foregoing are now smoldering and bleeding, I've got a Total Defeat!

In the words of Master Goodale, :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There was one bright spot. Pavlov stuck his head out of the house and had it promptly shot off with the rest of his squad. I shall cherish this trophy as I go off to the CMBB directory to forever delete this bloody scenario from my hard drive.

:D

Huh? What's the problem? I just finished playing this scenario, and I got a tactical victory on the first try with the AI using the default unit placement (the Russians surrendered on turn 31).

Perhaps I should add that none of my tanks survived the battle. A couple of HMGs would have probably done more damage...

Dschugaschwili

[ January 17, 2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Dschugaschwili ]

**Possible Spoilers**

I haven't even deared playing it. It looks way to intimidating to me. Shot up buildings and a big open squire doesn't give me much convidence to start out with to be honest. Can't get it over my heart to send those poor Germans of to a certain death. :(

Mies

SPOILERS > > > > > >>

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

I got a minor victory on the first try, but all my tanks were wasted by the IL-2's. I think I could have done better too - I left a company all the way back and forgot about them till close to the end.

I left my tanks back and grouped together. I sent one company left and two companies right, only a bit slower to the right. The Left company seemed to draw most of the fire, and exposed the AT guns, so I then sent the tanks to take out the AT guns and provided infantry support to the Left.

By the time the Right TF made it to the far end, they were able to fairly effortlessly take Pavlov's house. I gathered them up for a final charge to the northern buildings, but didn't soften the targets too much and got a bit creamed. The boys from the left side finished the job, but my losses were heavier than needed.

I actually had a minor victory in my grasp on Turn 25...seven squads sitting right outside good ole Pav's house, two tanks alive.

A Il-2 then targets those squads.

3 squads eliminated outright, 3 squads rout, 1 squad left pinned (with a depleted HQ unit).

Game over.

Grrr.

I think I'll have to try it again, but this time using my artillery solely for smoke screens.

Mutual ceasefire, draw. I had sniffed out the AT capabilities without losing armor-- and just as I was going for the jugular in a three pronged attack (including a full coy across the length of the courtyard!)-- the IL-2s showed and killed all my armor. I had taken enough casualties I needed the armor support for the final push.

Great little scenario.

Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

Great little scenario.

Agreed. Even though it gives me nightmares and I've now tried it four times since September! :mad:

:D

I think my new plan is my best chance -- put all my infantry assets in the far right of the setup zone, closest to Pavlov's house, then have my spotter drop smoke in the square. Run the infantry to the building with the gun. IF, IF, I can take that building, then I can take the flag and possibly have enough to move over and take the minor flag near the exit to the Volga.

Screw that that VL near the admin buildings. smile.gif

Pavlov's House proves CM needs MORE cool city fighting. Prefereably with a tad less rubble. 'A Walk in Paris' was my favorite CMBO scenario but I can't think of a CMBB equivalent. I did an all armor quickbattle on a large imported city map last night and had great fun playing hide-and-seek with enemy tanks (darned SU-85s!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd only tried this as the Russians, so I just finished playing it as the Germans. I captured Pavlov's house by turn 15 and the flag in the far left corner by turn 20. At that time the Russians surrendered and I got a major victory. All I did was bring six squads through the rubble on the far right while having everyone else suppress any Russians that popped their heads up. I finished with all my tanks intact and only one squad panicked due to the IL-2.

I fired my smoke before moving any of my suppression squads out into the square, but with 6 tubes firing, the smoke doesn't last too long, so those squads stayed in their craters for the most part. I was able to leapfrog them up, but they never got across the square.