CMAK: Will it have more than 2 Player MP?

One of the things I feel that has been lacking in the CM department is the inability atm to support more than 2 players in MP.

Teamplay would be an excellent element in CM, even if the max were only 4 players. Imagine having 2 vs 2 competitions, where you and a fellow commander were to beat of the invading hoards of nazis or vice versa. At the end of the game you can slap him on the back for saving your sorry ass, or curse him to hell for letting the flank fold. I think one of the reasons why several games on the market are so popular is because there is an element of teamwork and cooperation.

My question is: Can the current CM engine handle more than 2 player MP? ie 4P. Can it handle combinations of MP like:

3h(human) vs 1 AI

2h vs 2 AI

2h vs 2h

or maybe even have the AI as a cooperative partner (I know I sure wouldn't have the AI as an attacking partner though!)?

And more importantly, will it be implemented?

Thanks for any responses/opionions!

I believe they've almost (almost) promised this feature for the engine rewrite.

Then again they've promised so many features/changes for that rewrite my mind boggles at what sort of game is going to result. :eek:

Me, I want AI vs AI, or 1 human vs 2 AI ;)

[ June 19, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I believe they've almost (almost) promised this feature for the engine rewrite.

Then again they've promised so many features/changes for that rewrite my mind boggles at what sort of game is going to result. :eek:

Me, I want AI vs AI, or 1 human vs 2 AI ;)

CMX2 is the engine rewrite (Multi player, relative spotting, full movie playback etc.)

CMAK (due this Dec 2003) is the old CMBB engine (on steriods by then I would guess smile.gif ) in North Africa and the Med.

They are two VERY different things

smile.gif

-tom w

One thing I would like to see in the re-write of the CM engine is the ability to have an audience watch a multiplayer battle, much like you can have people watch an online chess game. This would allow all sorts of possibilities like CM classrooms as well as bringing CM competition to a higher level.

I had also wondered about it, but could never remember the great ones commenting on it with an official word. I dimissed it because I thought that they, the great ones, would not want to invest the resources to put it in when it might not be used so much.

I think it would be a nice feature though, but honestly I would rarely use it. Its hard enough for me to play against just one player smile.gif

Chad

Playing Combat Mission with 3 or 4 players

1. Throw up a coin and divide your group by chance.

2. Chose a battle

3. Select Play-by-e-mail

4. Start the battle and write down the password

5. Discuss the battle plan with you co-player

6. Split the force in 2

7. Write down the names of your HQ units *

8. Make your setup and save the game

9. Send the saved game (*.cmf) to your co-player

10. Co-player uses the same password to open the setup

11. Co-player creates a PBEM after clicking on the GO-button

12. Co-player sends the PBEM file to your opponent

13. Opponents do the same procedure (5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12)

14. Repeat the procedure untill battle is finished.

* Note : If you write down the names of the HQ units, you can always track your own units. CM displays the Company, Platoon, Squad and Team in the unit's name description.

Play large and huge battles (for example: Blitzkrieg (CM Scenario)). Discuss everything with your Co-player and visa versa. Reserve enough time and effort for this type of gameplay, it can take months before the battle is over. Keep in mind that your in war with your oponents and not with your co-player ;)

Have fun !

Eichenbaum