"Cover Armor"? Explain this screenshot.

I'm surprised nobody mentionned the most obvious : this panzerschreck, only a regular, is not under command.

With a good platoon leader (combat bonus) in the vincinity, the T-34 would have most probably been dead after the first shot.

[ May 15, 2003, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

I think V hit it on the head, the rank of that team as regular, with no commander, makes them pretty useless.You did manage to get 5 shots off, which also lets you know the quality of the team sucks, with the sun in it's eyes. (which, by the way, is something I had no idea affected the game.)Was your unit hiding before firing it's first shot?

I think I see a problem. If you look to the right of the team, you will see a rise in the ground, (about 50% the way through the arc)it could be that if the tank was crossing to that point, the unit was hiding, it didn't even really know it was there until it came into view at the edge of the map. Check LOS to everywhere in the arc, (something I have learned to do to make sure there aren't any hiding spots.

Was there another unit, which was more palatable than the tank nearby? In other words, did you see the team look toward the t-34 when they entered the arc, and then it looked away?

I do wonder if the "edge of the map" is affecting something though...interested in what the reason this one may have occurred. I have always found a reason for things to happen in CMBB.

SgtAbell

Actually a couple of us did mention the out-of-command issue earlier, but I guess that was overshadowed by the hilarious antics of Fritz & Friend. :D

I agree that LOS was probably the major issue allowing the T-34 to approach undetected. Not only is there a significant rise about 50% out in the arc, as mentioned, but there also looks to be a small crest a few meters from the schreck, near the edge of the trees. If the schreck was hiding behind the crest and the tank approached through the depression in the outer part of the arc, he probably never saw it. Which raises the question: should he have gotten a sound contact, and pivoted to face it? Methinks a shreck team hearing a T-34 clattering towards them would be pointed in the right general direction and ready to nail him as soon as he came into LOS.

Re: looking into the sun, I've asked about that before and thought it wasn't modeled.

- Matt

I like the Out-of-Command and Team-Skill arguments. I can buy those, to a point.

The LOS argument was a non-factor, IMO. At least, it should've been a non-factor. As I stated prior, this particular tank had been under observation (I assume) by the schreck team for a couple of turns prior to his moving into the arc. The team was never hidden. The team had LOS to that tank the whole time. I assumed (wrongly?) that the AI was keeping up with my assumptions by concentrating on the movements of that tank...especially THAT tank. If I had been a lowly Schutz or a commanding Leutnant I'D have had my eye on THAT tank too! The teams orders and mission were clear. The target might have passed through sun glare as it passed through the arc. However, it was not in the glare as it stopped, then reversed, then stopped again. From thirty-five yards the target should've been as clear as the orders and the mission.

The team just sucked the big one...and bit the big one...and my luck just blows.

The flag is now in dispute. My guys are caught in the very type of crossfire that I had hoped to avoid. If I lose the flag, I'm hanging the loss on this complete break-down in team performance.

Further proof that I have THE worst luck in the Combat Mission world.

bullshit.jpg

A lone panzershreck, working with only one man, down to his last round, under fire from three squads and a Jumbo Sherman from ninety yards.

bullshit2.jpg

He kills the Jumbo. Thus killing my interest in being the butt of everyone else's good luck. I quit.

(( hmm, yeah, that is kinda freaky...

Would upset anybody.

Still though better even then the online 3d gaming world in witch luck has been completely overcovered by better performing computers and good/and/ore/faster working connections.

To me cmbb with its luck factor is a nice chilldown from being frustrated of getting totaly wasted by people with more money ore just living closer to a server.

(talking about luck)

CMBB atleast gives u the eazing thought this could happen to everybody at a point

[ May 16, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: theike ]

What are you wondering? You got 779 points when enemy got 1016 points, why should it be draw?

Both have same number of flags in end. Allied lost 20 men more than you. But you lost 2 vehicles and from points I would believe they were tanks.

Capturing hill or some building is not always worth casualties it takes and in this case your casualties just weren't worth it.

Originally posted by ['nzn]:

And hey, jKMkIII! How do you count these points you've just named? Sorry for ignorance, never late to learn stuff smile.gif

Add the points for flags held plus the points for enemy casualties on the Axis AAR. I can't explain why the Allied AAR has different numbers of men killed and slightly different point totals. I wonder how often that happens. :confused:

Originally posted by Dave H:

I can't explain why the Allied AAR has different numbers of men killed and slightly different point totals. I wonder how often that happens. :confused:

Oh the Russians were well known for increasing enemy casualties and minimising their own :D

Originally posted by leakyD:

Well, as hindsight *is* 20/20...

Aren't experience levels acting as one "level" lower in CMBB compared to CMBO?

so:

Green = Conscript

Regular = Green

Veteran = Regular

and so on.

So, in CMBO terms, you had a Green shreck team out of command trying to nail a tank. In my experience, Green AT teams are almost worthless.

Poor little fellers were prolly too busy crapping their pants to aim worth a damn!

AFAIK that only relates to early/mid-war Russian units.

Originally posted by Ant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by leakyD:

Well, as hindsight *is* 20/20...

Aren't experience levels acting as one "level" lower in CMBB compared to CMBO?

so:

Green = Conscript

Regular = Green

Veteran = Regular

and so on.

So, in CMBO terms, you had a Green shreck team out of command trying to nail a tank. In my experience, Green AT teams are almost worthless.

Poor little fellers were prolly too busy crapping their pants to aim worth a damn!

AFAIK that only relates to early/mid-war Russian units. </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 88mm:

ps: the game-engine "cheats". Like most games. This helps to mask the dumbness of the "Ai", whatever that is.....

Anything to back up that statement? </font>

Originally posted by 88mm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 88mm:

ps: the game-engine "cheats". Like most games. This helps to mask the dumbness of the "Ai", whatever that is.....

Anything to back up that statement? </font>