What's the difference between first floor and second floor?

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Also, if you have a panzerfaust etc up there and a tank comes by, you may have an advantageous angle on his armour by being up higher and looking down on him...

Very true. "Upper Floor" units can strike at thin top Armor of enemy tanks. Also I think that infantry units can fire down into open top units like Half Tracks and Open top Assault guns like the Marder and Nashhorn.

Also, for infantry combat. A unit in the top of a building is better able to ambush an enemy infanty unit that enters the building on the first floor because (I think) they are harder to spot.

Originally posted by Sublime:

I dont want to sound like a dick but this has to be the stupidest question I've ever seen posted since fall of 99.

I, too, almost wondered if it was a troll, or someone asking something more subtle than the obvious, but then what they hey... it may not occur to someone that you can fire down into something...

(What was the post in the fall of 99?)

[ June 21, 2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

A different answer:

- In the US the "first floor" is the one that you are one when you walk in the building, and the "second floor" is the first one you get to up the stairs.

- In Australia, the "first floor" is the first floor you get to up the stairs, and the second is the second. (The one you're on when you walk in the building is the "ground floor").

;)

[in CMBB, there is no "first floor or second floor". There is "top" and "bottom". I guess there were no multi-story buildings in WWII?]

GAJ.

[ June 21, 2003, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

I always thought that a Panzerfaust or Panzershreck had a horizontal trajectory ( couldn't be fired vertically [ or close to vertically in this case if your AT team is on an upper story ] ). Is this true ( I'm asking because I've never seen it yet )?

[ June 21, 2003, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I always thought that a Panzerfaust or Panzershreck had a horizontal trajectory ( couldn't be fired vertically [ or close to vertically in this case if your AT team is on an upper story ] ). Is this true ( I'm asking because I've never seen it yet )?

So if you fire it out of a top floor window, it flies horizontally off the map?? :confused:

[ June 21, 2003, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

I think you are thinking of the British PIAT, which couldn't be fired when the barrel was depressed past 0 degress. If you did aim it below the horizion, the shell fell out of the barrel as nothing locked it into place.

I'm pretty sure that the Bazooka, Panzerfaust, and Panzer schrek had the shells held in place before firing.

[ June 21, 2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Nippy ]

Originally posted by Nippy:

I think you are thinking of the British PIAT, which couldn't be fired when the barrel was depressed past 0 degress. If you did aim it below the horizion, the shell fell out of the barrel and nothing locked it into place.

I'm pretty sure that the Bazooka, Panzerfaust, and Panzer schrek had the shells held in place before firing.

WOW!

How does this manifest in CMBB? If you have a PIAT in a top floor, and try to target, do you get a "ding"? How far below 0 degrees can you go before the shell starts slipping? Fascinating!!!

{Edit: Well DUH there are no British PIATs in CMBB redface.gif So was it modelled in CMBO?)

[ June 21, 2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

The second floor is also a very bad place to be if there are tanks around. I've just about quit even trying to hide there as I always get spotted and blasted. I am not 100% sure but I also think that units in the second floor seem to take on more damage then units in the first but I'll have to test this to see. I thought it was a fine question but then I don't know everything about everything like some. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's that bad a question. It might be useful to collect everything we we know about the modelling of second floors in CMBB.

For one thing, the "top floor" is actually higher than just the first floor up. CMBB abstracts one- and two-story buildings as just having one "floor." Only three- and four-story buildings have a "top floor" in CMBB. This is accuractly reflected in the visual scale of top floor placement in the game, I think.

Another point: it's much worse to be upstairs when the building collapses. smile.gif

Guest PondScum

I seem to recall that back in the mists of CMBO it was Officially Revealed that troops being fired down on took a greater morale hit(presumably similar to that from being fired on from the side). So that's another advantage to being on the upper floor.

A disadvantage is that if your opponent brings direct-fire HE to bear, your troops on the upper floor can't escape in a hurry...

I don't know if they are easier to spot, but I know I routinely blast the ever lovin' bee-jesus out of anything that looks like a likely observation post (e.g. the great big manor house that dominates the farmland). Sometimes if the ammo load on a vehicle and battle clock are sufficient, I'll even try this in high density urban areas...and, hey, how often do your AFVs run out of ammo before they run out of luck?

Upper level units get a much rougher ride when the building gets demolished (CMBO Manual, p. 53: Any unit inside a 2-level building which collapses or catches fire will suffer serious casualties).

Originally posted by lcm1947:

The second floor is also a very bad place to be if there are tanks around. I've just about quit even trying to hide there as I always get spotted and blasted. I am not 100% sure but I also think that units in the second floor seem to take on more damage then units in the first but I'll have to test this to see. I thought it was a fine question but then I don't know everything about everything like some. :rolleyes:

FYI:

I did a floor test in CMBO a couple of years ago to see if troops in the second floor had a firepower advantage over troops in the first floor (for purposes of shooting at an enemy behind a wall or entrenched in foxholes). I figured that logically the second floor would offer an advantage at firing over wall, fence, or foxhole obstacles as long as the obstacles were relatively close to the building. However, my test showed that there was no such advangage in firepower or exposure %.

I have not run any tests in CMBB but it could be done in a matter of minutes.

Anybody noticed any difference in combat within a building? Logically, oughta be easier to thrown grenades downstairs, so the upstairs unit oughta have an advantage.

I once took an improbably long time, and improbable amount of ammo, to kill a MG that was upstairs using three units that were downstairs. But maybe that was just luck.

Just guessing but if you fired one of these downwards from an open window you might expect to have more trouble with the backblast hitting the ceiling?