How to lock camera angle?

I'm coping with the new scrolling of the mouse to move around the battlefield, but something needs to be done about locking the camera angle to the camera view. With the Citadel senario camera views 3 and 4 are no good for viewing the overall battlefield unless you change the angle with shift+A. Problem starts when you go to another camera view the angle is reset and needs to be changed again when you go back to camera 3 or 4.

Is there a way of locking the camera angle for the camera view in the "Prefs" file?

I think this change would help dramaticly the game play, unless you want to look at the top of your panzers while they are shot at from out of sight smile.gif

[ September 04, 2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: mfred ]

The same problem existed way back when we dicussed the Beta to Gold demo changes, or the Gold Demo to full Version changes (year 2000 ), luck would have it that the camera angle was changed for CMBO smile.gif

Someone at BFC must like that view........but when you have half a dozen pbem's on the go, you can't waste time per turn changing camera angles at view 3 to plan your overall advance strategy, and then back to view 1 or 2 for the imediate move. Next unit the same adjusting again.........

I'm for Shift+A at 20 for a permanent camera angle, it doesn't effect view 1 or 2 but greatly improves view 3,4, and 5 smile.gif

The problem is that while this may make sense on really long maps, if you have those settings stick on smaller maps you may end up gazing into the horizon too much if you had upped the tilt already.

Another problem is that, as you may have noticed, in some levels you can tilt far more than in others so that could also be a limiting factor.

I will chat with Charles though and see if there is something we might be able to do but my gut feeling is that it is the way it is for a reason.

Madmatt

[ September 04, 2002, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by mfred:

I'm for Shift+A at 20 for a permanent camera angle, it doesn't effect view 1 or 2 but greatly improves view 3,4, and 5 smile.gif

View 4 in CMBB is alright, but I can't re-create CMBO View 4 using the Shift-A Shift-Z tilt. Zooming looks a bit weird. I think CMBB's Views are biased towards looking at the horizon, whereas CMBO was more "top-down". Problem with seeing more of the horizon/treeline is that you see less of your units. I think CMBB's cameras were made with AFVs and Kursk in mind.

View 3 in CMBO is fine on small maps and compares to view 3 Shift+A 20 in CMBB, can't see a problem smile.gif

I like playing 5000pt ME with pbem opponents and CMBB is going to be great, but this camera angle problem will take a lot of enjoyment out of the game. Go load a 5000pt ME in CMBO and plan your moves..............the number of units and map size demands a view at height and at a an angle to see the lay of the land in the distance.

[ September 04, 2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: mfred ]

What about having the tilt saved per camera view?

That way you could have the default 1, but an ajusted 3 or whatever and easily swap between them.

Obviously, as with all things like this, it's much easier said then coded, but I think that would add some nice flexability.

Of course it might be off if you go from a long map to a short one, but it'd be easy to adjust.

The other option being to store it in the game file it self somehow, so that the player can adjust per map...

Ben

Now that things have quieten down a little :)I'll bump this concern for Steve to address with his views.

PS No whinge( Heinemann Australian Dictionary : Australian, New Zealand : to complain in an annoying way ) intended...........just a consideration for an up coming patch smile.gif

• 3 months later...

You could try some sort of keyboard mapper, and bind multiple key sequences to one keystroke. Make the "2" key, for example, actually report "2,a,a" (or whatever the camera angle keys are) to the game. I was thinking of doing this with my Strategic Commander - fine tuning the buttons to custom camera angles. But the truth is I'm too lazy. I agree, it would be nice to have this built into the game.

I need this feature.

I'm hitting view 10degrees up atleast 60 times in battle. I dont see how it could hurt someone having option for different (sticky)camera angle.

Why someone who didn't like it would use it? However I see lots of people who would like that option.

So I kind of fail to get Matts point.

I've made a tool for myself that remembers and resets camera angles (not zoom).

It is a program that runs in the background and monitors keystrokes and mouse actions.

It works on Win98 and maybe other Windows versions too. It has some issues, though:

- At the moment only works in screen resolution 1280x1024

- Only tested on danish keyboard (should work on other nationalities, though).

- Must be started *AFTER* CMBB or else system crash.

Are anybody interested in this? If so I will put it on the web, and maybe try fixing the last few issues.

[Edited to say that if you guys at Battlefront are planning to fix this anytime soon then please let me know, so I don't waste a lot of time improving this workaround smile.gif ]

[ January 07, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Goose ]