Highly recommend this book...

I just received my copy of Sledgehammers: Strengths and Flaws of Tiger Tank Battalions in World War II by Christopher Wilbeck. It's published by Aberjona Press. I finally got my copy after a month or so of it being lost in shipping :mad: !

Anyway, flipping through the book, I've come away pretty impressed. It's well detailed & has many maps. It blows away many of the myths surrounding the Tiger & King Tiger.

For example there's a section on sPzAbt. 501's employment on the Sandomierz (sp?) bridgehead in Poland, August 1944. Wilbeck contends that the King Tiger and IS-2 were pretty evenly matched; neither having a clear advantage over the other. I've found this mirrored in the scenario CDST - Road to Staszow. The KT's aren't invulnerable (I won't give any more away as some people may not have played this). Let's just say it's a blast :D .

In short this is a very good book to pick up.

For those of you who are cheapskates like me, Wilbeck's thesis from the Army's Command and General Staff School is available for free:

<a href="https://calldbp.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/2003011508525769/wilbeck/wilbeck.pdf#xml=/scripts/cqcgi.exe/@ss_prod.env?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ORUOPWTMSIWQ&CQ_QH=125083&CQDC=8&CQ_PDF_HIGHLIGHT=YES&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=1" target="_blank">Swinging the Sledgehammer: The Combat Effectiveness of

German Heavy Tank Battalions in World War II</a> by Maj. Christopher Wilbeck

I swear somebody just posted about this book like a couple of weeks ago. Since then, i ordered it and already recieved it. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, just flipped through it, looks good. It's next in line after i finish reading Mr. Beevor's Fall of Berlin, which really isn't that good. At least not nearly as good as his Stalingrad book.

I also bought Slaughterhouse: The Encyclopedia of the Eastern Front, which somebody here recommended. It's a great reference book.

Originally posted by Dook:

For those of you who are cheapskates like me, Wilbeck's thesis from the Army's Command and General Staff School is available for free:

<a href="https://calldbp.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/2003011508525769/wilbeck/wilbeck.pdf#xml=/scripts/cqcgi.exe/@ss_prod.env?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ORUOPWTMSIWQ&CQ_QH=125083&CQDC=8&CQ_PDF_HIGHLIGHT=YES&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=1" target="_blank">Swinging the Sledgehammer: The Combat Effectiveness of

German Heavy Tank Battalions in World War II</a> by Maj. Christopher Wilbeck

Hey thanks a lot. Us cheapskates should stick together.

It sounds like a good read. I'll have to check that out.

This isn't exactly related, but I've been trying to find a copy of "Hell's Gate" by Douglas Nash and it now will cost $380.00(!) if I want to buy it from Amazon. Luckily, I was able to find it at a local site for about 50 pounds. That's what I get for not going with my instincts.

Just read the paper - very interesting. Thanks to Dook for the link.

My favourite quote concerns the operations of s.Pz. Abt. 501 during BAGRATION:

However, it is clear that the twenty-five Tigers fielded by this battalion were wholly inadequate to stop the Soviet attack against Army Group Center.
Cor blimey guv, who would have thought... :D

• 5 months later...

I have now received the book, and I am a bit unconvinced about the maths. As I understand it, he is using German kill claims. These are however almost certainly overstated. From what I understand, a 50% haircut was applied to all kill claims at the higher level, and it does not appear that Wilbeck is factoring this in. After the 50% reduction it appears that German claims and allied losses on all fronts seem to match reasonably.

This does however not mean that the numbers Wilbeck arrives at should be halved, because I do not think that there is a direct relationship between the macro and the micro level here. Just that they are most likely overstated to a considerable degree.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

I swear somebody just posted about this book like a couple of weeks ago. Since then, i ordered it and already recieved it. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, just flipped through it, looks good. It's next in line after i finish reading Mr. Beevor's Fall of Berlin, which really isn't that good. At least not nearly as good as his Stalingrad book.

I also bought Slaughterhouse: The Encyclopedia of the Eastern Front, which somebody here recommended. It's a great reference book.

Amazon keeps offering me Colossus Reborn and Slaughterhouse for $50 Canadian, a decent deal, but I am unsure about Slaughterhouse. Anyone else have it? Is it a good source? Any reviews and/or opinions?

I've got Slaughterhouse (bought it in the Amazon package you mentioned); I bought it mainly for the weapons data tables, but overall I didn't find the book very useful. It is not meant to be read cover-to-cover, but its usefulness depends on what you want to use it for--if you are looking for unit chronologies, short bios of some German and Soviet commanders, or the OOB of various Axis and Allied units, you might find it interesting. Let me know if you have specific questions.

76mm