To The Volga!

Originally posted by Gary_S:

Hi,

Anyone who fancies playing this Huge, 10 Battle, 9300 point operation, blind via PBEM. Please mail me.

Cheers

Gary

Can't do it myself,just to bump you

and good luck

konrad

This was the scenario that first made me think, "Do I like doing this that much?" after running through the set-up and the first turn.

I began to wonder if I had committed an act of apostasy. How much of a heretic had I just become.

I know my complete desire for a game instead of typing the first draft of an essay for school so my heart is true.

I know I am greatly anticipating the next patch and CMMOS compatible mods with all due reverence.

I am faithful that advancements in computers will someday make the number crunching practicable.

It was very traumatic.

BDH

If this is a public display of insanity, I could get Martin Bashir to document the whole thing smile.gif

It’s probably better played on the Platoon\Company level rather than squad, but I’ve managed to find someone.

Thanks for the leg-up konrad. Expect the AAR sometime around 2012.

Cheers

Gary

I have been dying to play it since Berli told me about it when the game was released. Recently Peng sent me a set up for it and it was nasty. I have no problem with managing such a large number of units but my computer does. I don't have state of the art (P4 1.7mhz, 384MB RAM and 64MB graphic card) but I have a decent system. It choked it to the point where I couldn't even set it up. I would try a group placement and after plotting the position it would take (no lie) 2 minutes to move to where I placed the platoon. I belive the scenario would have been more playable if there was less at initial setup and reinforcements entered every turn. I told Berli that my 1 1/2 year old son will be able to play it with his grandson. If I remember correctly he told me that what is in the battle is about 1/3 of what the historical OOB was...WOW. I am dying to play it so any suggestions on how to make even the set up easier would be very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dropping off my wife at the train REALLY early these days (5:30AM) and since I can't get back to sleep, I've been playing this operation for about three weeks now. I have a decent Dell laptop and it did take a while to actually set up everyone in buildings (delays delays) - of course, to calculate the first turn, it took about 20-30 minutes. I basically played one-two turns a day (one in the morning and one before going to bed). I am the Germans and gave the Russians +3 experience points to simulate their steadfastness.

I am getting my rear kicked (too impatient - charging all my tanks and running men in the open to see what the heck is out there).

The thing to do I guess is concentrate on the center cluster of buildings (tractor works) and eliminate all resistance in using about 4 battles (100 turns+) and then move everyone as forward as possible before the remaining battles, lay heavy smoke down to cover the open ground advances and close quickly with the AT guns and pillboxes along the Volga to achieve final victory.

My problem is I am too impatient and spread out over the entire front, where I should be concentrating on just the central portion of the map with all I have (artillery, too) and blast the middle, sweep out all the Reds and settle down, organize, then move in on the rest.

The Red tanks like to set up right in the thick of it - right next to the buildings close up, but the only way they can have impact is to get point blank or try to flank and shoot down the alleyways - if they do that, just have all those otherwise impossible-to-put-in-buildings AT guns in wily locations for just such occasions.

When the tractor works are yours, then put all your tanks on the right flank and sweep to the river using a smoke sreen on the left of the tank and halftrack columns.

As was previously stated: I don't expect that I would live that long to complete the operation. I don't have a puny system either: Dell Dimension 2.0 Ghz, 256 DDR SDRAM, etc. From what I've seen of other members comments, one has to have a monster computer to even attempt it. It may be a great scenario but I'll save myself the trouble & play smaller scenarios.

• 2 weeks later...

this op is actualyl going pretty fast. we are halfway+ through the first battle.

Resutls generation times arent so horrendous. longest so far was 33 minutes.

It is quite fun. You have to think different.

Knowingly sacraficing units is part of this op.

[ March 05, 2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: 86smopuim ]