Good books on Bagration

Niepold, Battle for White Russia (known as Mittlere Ostfront 1944 in German).

For straightforward accounts on the German side, Hintze's two books (no idea about the title in English), but only if you manage to ignore the 'The German Landser was so well-loved by the population in Russia' bull**** in the introduction.

From the Soviet side, Glantz edited translation of the STAVKA study 'Belorussia 1944'.

All the best

Andreas

Found Niepold but it is £50!

I have read the Glantz book as I was one of the team that published it. Tried very hard to get a better jacket and illustration but there was no money. One my first day, I was shown an earlier one in the series and pointed out that the illustraion caption was wrong and SU-85s do not have hand rails around the back only SU-76s do.

Have been looking at amazon this afternoon and found the following:

Soviet Blitzkrieg: The Battle for White Russia, 1944 (Hardcover) by Walter Scott Dunn

Stalingrad to Berlin: The German Defeat in the East by Earl F. Ziemke

Bagration 1944 - Steve Zaloga

Hitlers Greatest Defeat - Paul Adair

Any of these good?

Also is it worth getting Zalogas Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles - is it still up to date?

thanks and cheers

Rokkossovsky's memoirs are in English and helpful, as are I believe Chuikov's and Konev's. (Although Konev wasn't in Bagratian per se, his operations south of there were part of the same offensive.) Don't bother with Zhukov, waste of time. Ditto Andreas' recommendation on Glantz's STAVKA study.

For less cost and coverage outside the campaign, Glantz's When Titan's Clashed has the basics in an neat efficient package. And of course Erickson's Road To Berlin is pretty much inevitable, although now it is (somewhat) dated.

If you want the smaller stuff then Bessonov's Tank Rider is a pretty fair account of, well, a tank rider.

Great , we are getting somewhere. I feel a little amazon Bagration splurge coming on....

Have read "When Titans Clash" and have just finished "Tank Rider" which was excellent.

Need a good book on Soviet armoured vehicles as well and can get the old Zaloga "Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles" - a bit pricey - a bit dated? Anything better come along since then? Was looking at Fleicher "Russian Tanks" as an alternative maybe.

Was considering Glantz's Colossus series especially "Colossus Reborn". Any good?

thanks

Der Alte Fritz,

It's old, but time and again I've found John Milsom's RUSSIAN TANKS 1900-1970 to be very helpful.

It's not just tanks, either, seeing as how it covers

SUs, armored cars and halftracks, too. It covers the history, the developmental aspects, and the operational employment. The story of Russian armor is rich, complex and fascinating.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi DAF!

If you liked "Tank Rider" you'll like this http://www.amazon.com/T-34-Action-Artem-Drabkin/dp/184415243X

Excellent read and has some great info about how T34 crews were trained and operated. Also some snippets of early war info. It is a rivetting read. Top recommend smile.gif

It's great to see more info about the Soviet armed forces in WWII making it out into the big wide world.

Cheers fur noo

George

Orrigionally posted by Der Alte Fritz

Hitlers Greatest Defeat - Paul Adair.

Orrigionally posted by Andreas

Don't bother too much with Adair.

I thought that that book was quite a good cheap book, although I must admit that I haven't read the others for a good comparative based recomendation. I will say that it lacks a lot of detail, but it was IMHO good for an overall account of the destruction of AGC, mostly from the German perspective. He did explain the basic Soviet strategic deception plan very well.

I should look into some of the others I guess, especially any that cover in greater detail the lower scale of the fighting. That would be interesting.

John

Thanks for the tip, I think I will get this instead of Zaloga as I need info on things other than tanks, and my favorite vehicle is the SU-85 - had a Tamiya model as a child!

George

Looks good. Have added it to the list. Roll on Christmas! Have you seen :

Russian Tanks of World War II: Stalin's Armoured Might (Hardcover)

by Tim Bean, Will Fowler

Is this any good, as it gets a rave review at amazon.

cheers

Hi DAF

Glad the link was off use. Re Russian Tanks of World War II I have not read it I'm afraid. Sounds like a good read.

In that vein I have read this http://www.amazon.com/Red-Army-Tank-Commanders-Aviation/dp/0887405819 some useful background info.

Not so sure about the veracity of some of the accounts but it is useful for putting a character to the names, and has some useful operational info. I'll check out your suggestion smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Yes I know. Sorry to be cost driven at present but I have just bought a new kitchen and a complete make over of the living room, so cheap and cheerful is our motto at the moment! I will put it on my Christmas list.

Any views on Colossus Reborn? Or on these Nafziger books - seem to repeat what is in the 1944 Combat Regulations?

cheers

I'll put in a plug for Dunn. While derivative from the Soviet staff study, it is still a thorough account that taught me things I did not know from other sources.

As for high prices, use a library first, and only buy something if you are convinced you will continually want it as a ready reference etc.

Colossus Reborn won't cover Bagration, it ends in 1943.

If you mean the Sharp books, they are good, but again not teaching you anything about Bagration.

Dunn is good (although he has been taken to task over his Kursk book), but may well be pricey. I know my copy was.

For cheap initial go with Zaloga. Follow it with Hinze.

All the best

Andreas

I had an initial look on Amazon but got a better price on many of the books at www.abebooks.com or .co.uk so have bought from there. If you do not know it ABE is a clearing house for second hand book dealers. For instance Ziemke was £29.50 on Amazon and £11 on ABE. So I have ordered that and Milsom for the tank info again £29.19 on Amazon and £11 on ABE. Dunn was £20 on boh Amazon and ABE.

Cannot find Hintze in english only german.

cheers