** Work in progress : "from scratch" Jagdpanther **

Hi All,

After many days of work, I have made my own "from scracth" Jagdpanther BMP file package smile.gif As you surelly imagine, it wasn't a bed of roses ! Most of the job consisted on :

</font>

• re-draw the structure lines (hatches for example)</font>
  • erase the zimmerit texture of the original model</font>
  • delete the camo scheme in order to create a complete monocolor vehicle</font>

...I also took some stuff around, mostly from Kingfisher's "Modder's series" Panther A files : rear deck, bottom rear hull... Thanks to him smile.gif

Of course, this vehicle still needs some fixes : pink spots ( :mad: ), correctly harmonized grey color (for example, between the rear upper hull and the sides). But it won't be very difficult (I hope so !).

Here are some 1024 x 768 screenshots :

(screenshots removed, because my webhost s...cks ! :mad: :mad: Have a look at cmmods.com)

Any suggestions and help will be VERY appreciated smile.gif Including some ideas for the camo scheme ! Of course, if this work interests someone for modding, it will be totally free to download (when it will be done ;) ) in order to other guys to make their own Jagdpanther...

[ August 22, 2003, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Bogdan ]

Tough choice. Yes.

Maybe in a sort of yellow sceme?

Like the famous flammpanzer (by Saturnin)

There are more done in that sceme since, and they all make it to my favorites list.

smile.gif and since this tanky has always been my favorite in cmbo, i wouldnt want anything less for him that just the best tongue.gif

(just being cheeky, ofcourse :cool:

its your mod to make.)

note: But the Saturnin-look will break those big surfaces down. Its one of the scemes that does that. many dont. And those big surfaces always made this mod a hard one to make interesting.

[ August 21, 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

Hello all,

My greyscale model is nearly fixed now. I only have to check it. The more difficult is to "harmonize" the files, I mean to create homogeneous grey color for all the BMPs. As you can imagine, every file comes from a different location : the original, a mod, a scratch...

As you can see on the screenshots, the BMP file for the rear (low and upper hull) is twice as big as the original one. The details are sharper than the rest of the model. I have noticed that, with the original vehicle, the rear hatch and the shovel had a strong "pixel" effect... Then, I work with files that are 2X bigger : hull, front, rear. But I resize the files for the mod (bad procedure :rolleyes: ). I think now about using big BMP for the entire vehicle (except details like exhaust pipes) and including them for the finished mod.

To Mike T : OF COURSE my greyscale mod will be totally free to download smile.gif I would be glad to share my modest work with other modders ! I'm working on Photoshop, as I know everybody don't, then the easiest would be to ZIP a BMP package.

For the camo scheme, I don't know yet what to do. I'm thinking about a monocolor version (yellow) but a new camoed vehicle would be great ! As I haven't yet the complete technique to join different camo stripes between two files, maybe a good master modder would do the artwork ? ;)

Why not that ?

gjjagdp-1.jpg

PS : my webhost is always boring me ! My pictures simply desappear just after I left the forum :mad: So, I only have 400 pixel wide JPEG to show you :mad: Anyone have an idea of a real free webhost ?

[ August 21, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Bogdan ]

I'm very much interested in how this mod turns out. Personally one of my favorite AFV's in the game. The camo scheme on the model you posted is nice but will probably be hard to transfer to a mod. I find that these types of schemes although they look neat in a still photo don't translate well to a mod in game. I presonally don't like the stock camo scheme on the jagdpanther. It's too...I dunno...weird. I prefer more of a conventional scheme like bi-color or tri-color or ambush. Even a splotch or hasty scheme looks good.

Good luck. I eagerly await the results.

Bogdan, I've done something similar with other tanks, e.g. StugIV, StugIV late.

To match the colour of the various BMPs, usually adjusting the brightness, contrast and/or gamma will do the trick. Don't forget that the top surfaces should be slightly brighter than the sides, front and rear etc. Just look at the default textures to see what I mean.

Also, Paint Shop Pro (which is what most modders seem to use) can load Photoshop files. It should be possible to release this mod in PSD format. This would be a big help as other modders would have access to your layers, which they wouldn't if you were to release in BMP format.

BTW I'd certainly be interested in applying some camo to this tank... ;)

Originally posted by Flesh:

To match the colour of the various BMPs, usually adjusting the brightness, contrast and/or gamma will do the trick. Don't forget that the top surfaces should be slightly brighter than the sides, front and rear etc. Just look at the default textures to see what I mean.

Also, Paint Shop Pro (which is what most modders seem to use) can load Photoshop files. It should be possible to release this mod in PSD format. This would be a big help as other modders would have access to your layers, which they wouldn't if you were to release in BMP format.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips Flesh smile.gif ...and thanks to all who have posted me something here !

As you can see on the forum, I have posted a PSD files package for the Jagdpanther. Some files are twice as big as the originals. So the model can be very detailled now. There are some extra layers : tools, pink zones, etc. But I didn't add markings or numbers. It's only the vehicle in itself.

Be careful ! I think a very little pink spot still exist on the roadwheels redface.gif at the back. Excuse me for this inconvenience I saw it... ...on the screenshot I have posted at cmmods.com ! Ahem... :rolleyes:

To finish, I have not added some rivets (word?) in the gun mask. As you surelly know, the early model of the Jagdpanther hadn't rivets, but the production model did. But I think it will be easy to create this detail on the PSD file. I have checked missing-lynx.com and their pictures galery can provide some stuff for it.

Anyway, my stuff is completelly free to improve/modify by any other modder. If you find some errors (I'm sure it's possible) please inform me about smile.gif

Originally posted by Zimorodok:

Now it matches my "Last" Panther A and JpzIV/70 mods. I am very happy.

Zimorodok

I'm glad you're happy with my modest contribution to CM community smile.gif You have to know that I worked at it with your stuff and your tutorials in mind. I tried to do the same. Truth.

Have you seen any mistakes or error in the package ? For the camo, my idea was large green/brown vertical stripes, with sharp edges... ...or a nice "ambush" scheme. Is your Photoshop session still opened ? Yes ? Then keep up the good work friend !

I am very happy. I moved over some of the work I had done in making the Panther A to your PSD files (some of which failed to open) and copied a handful of others over. I also went on a pinkie hunt. I think it looks pretty darn good.

Camo...we'll see. I have some ideas. I'd love to see this bad-boy done up in proper ambush.

Zimorodok

Yes, why not ?

I have just checked cmmods.com and my PSD files package has been downloaded 91 times. Kingfisher's "modder's series" 59 times.

So now, approx. 150 guys around there can mod a CMBB jagdpanther. Let's go men !! :D:D

Seriously, I'm actually modding it (an easy monocolor version) since I have got too much work at the office... :(

WOW! Flesh that is beauiful. Man I really really think it's outstanding. Please leave it just that way and don't let anybody talk you into making any changes to it. It's perfect. I love that camo job. Really cool looking! And Bogdan thank you ever so much for doing the mod. Great detail. This is such a killer tank that it deserves to look great and now it will. My hat off to you.

:cool: SUPERB :cool:

Don't change anything Flesh ! It's brilliant.

Sorry for the pinky problem... ...I have noticed it AFTER the upload of the package at cmmods.com redface.gif

Did you keep the same size for your BMP files ? I mean, I used big texture file (twice as big as the original) for the side, the "roof" and main hull (front and back). I wanted to keep a good level of details. For example, with the original files, the shovel was totally ugly...