Infantry HQs in AT combat

It's my impression that HQs have a high 'AT value'. They have only handgrenades, but it seems they kill every tank with them if it's close enough. I never noticed that with 'normal' infantry units, not even AT teams seem to be so sucessfull.

Can somebody else confirm this, and do you have an idea about the reasons?

I noticed that also, playing an early war QB the other night, Russians v. Germans. The German armor was of course no match for my KVs, but I found the German HQs surprisingly persistent and effective in the attack. Out of my five KVs, HQs immobilized one and knocked out two others.

Steve

Dude, HQs knocked out 2 of ur KVs? Jeus, I've had up to 5 tanks on 1 of my Kvs and the Kv won, ur telling me the same (model) of tank got knocked out by HQs? Was it knocked out or abandoned? I've never actually used KVs against infantry, I leave that to the light tanks and armoured cars, but on a tank to tank basis, german tanks (in that period) couldn't hold a candle to the KVs.

I am sure that this is for real, both in CMBO and CMBB.

HQs with no special weapons take out tanks and pillboxes with normal hand greades much better than squads.

I might be able to pull a strenth on some reality items like more experience, or some non-modeled but assumed special stuff like plastic explosives that a HQ might have to explain this. In a word, I like it.

Why it isn't documented - who knows.

Originally posted by ciphrix:

Dude, HQs knocked out 2 of ur KVs? Jeus, I've had up to 5 tanks on 1 of my Kvs and the Kv won, ur telling me the same (model) of tank got knocked out by HQs? Was it knocked out or abandoned?

1 KO'd; 1 abandoned. These were Veteran KVs (possibly Crack, can't remember).

They did their job, though. They KO'd over a score of German vehicles, and caused over 530 of the 711 casualties the German's suffered (1 KV2 that survived scored 352 infantry casualties).

Steve

[ January 17, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

HQ units can have AT weapons such as mines, molotovs and Pz-fausts.

Often they are higher morale than their squads, and of course they ALWAYS get their command benefits!

Plus they're more men than a tank hunter team.

If so, it isn't shown in the units stats. They can also not given to them in the editor.

Originally posted by redwolf:

I am sure that this is for real, both in CMBO and CMBB.

HQs with no special weapons take out tanks and pillboxes with normal hand greades much better than squads.

I might be able to pull a strenth on some reality items like more experience, or some non-modeled but assumed special stuff like plastic explosives that a HQ might have to explain this. In a word, I like it.

Why it isn't documented - who knows.

Maybe - but then they also have unlimited supply. 'More experience' doesn't make sense to me, a Green Lieutenant isn't necessarily better then a veteran grunt, just because he's a Lieutenant.

BTW, I like it, too. :D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Hmmm, sound like something's off to me.

When I see "HQ, six men" in my mind's eye I see three of them carrying typewriters and wearing thick glasses (remember the translator guy in "Saving Private Ryan"?)

Typwriters and translators the like ("desk warrior" would be more in the Battalion level and up HQs. To be sure, as any modern infantry Lieutenant or Captain will tell you, there's plenty of paperwork for junior officers as well, but the most of the HQ units in CM are 'combat' HQs, and their members would likely be quite familiar with combat.

Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Often they are higher morale than their squads, and of course they ALWAYS get their command benefits!

Plus they're more men than a tank hunter team.

If so, it isn't shown in the units stats. They can also not given to them in the editor.</font>

OK, here's a little theory.

Remember that the 10 men you see representing a platoon on the screen actually mean closer to 40. In reality these would all have their personal strenghts and weaknesses.

So the platoon runs into a nasty obstacle, say a pillbox. Now the Lt knows his charges and yells 'get Nevsky and Kiriakov / Hube and Meissner to toss some grenades through that firing slit' because they're particularly good at this.

Alright, the ordnance comes out of the HQ's bag, so the kite doesn't quite fly. But I still like my story :D .

Remember to use your imagination a little while you're playing. You'll have even more fun.

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

If so, it isn't shown in the units stats. They can also not given to them in the editor.</font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Hmmm, sound like something's off to me.

When I see "HQ, six men" in my mind's eye I see three of them carrying typewriters and wearing thick glasses (remember the translator guy in "Saving Private Ryan"?)

This is a platoon HQ, not a regimental or divisional HQ...

Not much use for the old typewriter at the platoon or company level, especially in a combat mission

Also, the guy is SPR was there because he could speak German and some French.

smile.gif

Originally posted by Sgtgoody:

The platoon HQ is going to consist of the LT, PSG, RTO, and Medic. Not a lot of people with time enough on their hands to be messing with tanks.

tell that to the tank which is bearing down on them...

other things would take a back seat, I imagine, with a T-34/85 right in your face...

smile.gif