The Incredible IS-2...

I'm in the process of playing a scenario as German defender against AI Soviet attacker. A real nail-biter occurred as an IS-2 stumbled into a village thinking nobody was home. I had three German squads assault it with 60M panzerfausts all getting hits with penetrations and it kept going. It blasted one squad and the driver of the Stalin tank hit the gas hard and drove quickly to get out of the village. It drove right into the only panzer I had left, a Panther G. Both tanks hurriedly spun their turrets around but the Panther got the drop at less than 90 meters. The Panther fired. RICOCHET! AAHHHHH! Then it was the IS-2's turn. BOOOOM! My Panther is on fire. It looked great with MikeyD's mod. That IS-2 is still in the game and I'm scrambling for a way with just infantry to take it out. It's like a bull in a china shop.

Originally posted by dalem:

Bah. When I played BB I lost IS-2s regularly to frontal penetrations of Pak40s and the like. Useless pieces of crud.

-dale

Which version? The early version has serious problems with armor weakness due to poor quality metal in the armor.

Besides, it's the only thing with a 122mm gun in a turret...barring the JS-3.

Originally posted by Nippy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

Bah. When I played BB I lost IS-2s regularly to frontal penetrations of Pak40s and the like. Useless pieces of crud.

-dale

Which version? The early version has serious problems with armor weakness due to poor quality metal in the armor.

Besides, it's the only thing with a 122mm gun in a turret...barring the JS-3. </font>

Originally posted by dalem:

-dale

If you have time to muck around outside of the Pool and in CMBB, then you have time to send me that setup for CMBO.

Jeff

I eeked out a draw in this quick battle. The clock saved my ass. Four Soviet tanks were closing in on my entrenched infantry just shelling the hell out of em.

I like to play late war quick battles as the German defender and always give the Soviets +50%. I seem to get two panzers and a company of grenadiers plus an anti tank gun or flak gun and end up going against 12-15 T-34/85's and IS-2's 3-5 armored cars and two to three times as many infantry. Even though I am playing the AI it still is tough with those odds.

IS-2 is good infantry tank...and for swatting occasional German heavy too. Only thing to worry is that you usually lose any gunbattle against German 75L48 and up from distance due their better ROF and optics. Front turret is vulnerable for 75L48...so IS-2 is better as infantry support tank...used like SU-152/122 assault guns. It has crappy number of AP too.

Cheers,

M.S.

I have to disagree, JS-2s seem very average in CMBB, for example I took one out with a vanilla Pak40 at 700m through it's front turret in a recent TCP (1.03).

It's that awful curved armour, everytime I see it on a units data display I just know that the unit has a big problem in that area. I remember JasonC trying vainly to get BFC to increase the average curved armour resistance which FWIW I fully concurred with.

Originally posted by Rex Bellator:

I have to disagree, JS-2s seem very average in CMBB, for example I took one out with a vanilla Pak40 at 700m through it's front turret in a recent TCP (1.03).

It's that awful curved armour, everytime I see it on a units data display I just know that the unit has a big problem in that area. I remember JasonC trying vainly to get BFC to increase the average curved armour resistance which FWIW I fully concurred with.

My impression is that BFC did exactly that. Some curved vehicles are much stronger than they used to be, I noticed it for T-34 and Hetzer. However, this is extremly hard to tell because the effectivity of the guns and ammo has been modified as well.

I think we should make a petition to ask BFC to publish the angle distributions for the curved armor. In my opinion, they are as much part of the basic armor thickness data in the unit data window.

Best/worst example is a late StuG versus a Jagdpanzer IV. Very clearly, the former an over whelmingly smaller chance of a high-angle hit, whereas the latter has only very small chances of a low-angle hit. These two must have different angle distributions and the player should know them as much as he knows the basic thickness.

Amen.

Your preacher smile.gif