A new Combat Mission?

The Italian invasion of Ethiopia would make an interesting subject, and the modding that would have to go with it would be fascinating. There would probably have to be a bit of an overhaul to part of the combat engine to model the ugly things that would happen when Ethiopian troops finally got to close quarters with Europeans. On a less medieval note, Graziani conducted some very interesting mobile operations, in spite of the bad press that he got later on for being defeated by Wavell in the Western Desert.

I think a follow-up game showing the pre-WWII evolution of mobile warfare would be a very interesting idea. It could include bits and pieces of the Chaco War (Bolivia vs. Paraguay, a bit like WW I on the Eastern Front with modern weapons), Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War, a few hypothetical Czechoslovakian scenarios, Poland, the Winter War, and the Fall of France. And it would be a even more satisfying if it included some of the tank battles between the Russians and the Japanese in Mongolia.

SPI did a board game on this a long time ago, and I think seeing the evolutionary process in action is what got me hooked armored tactical warfare.

Hi cyborg, to answer the original questin - we are working currently (for quite some time already in fact) on a new engine, currently code-named CMX2. It is indeed a total from the ground up redesign of our 3D tactical engine. The goal here is not merely to improve graphics, but to allow us to design a more flexible simulation, which will allow us to add some of the features people have requested; allow us to explore additional tactical situations, time frames and theaters; and which also addresses some issues with the original CM games that, after many years, turned out to be sub-optimal as a design decision.

Improved graphics in a way will be the result of the core redesign, not the other way around. We don't believe in mere eye candy. If we are to make, say, an improved smoke/particle engine, then the focus will be on improving the simulation. If it looks better at the same time, then that's a bonus smile.gif

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Hi cyborg, to answer the original questin - we are working currently (for quite some time already in fact) on a new engine, currently code-named CMX2. It is indeed a total from the ground up redesign of our 3D tactical engine. The goal here is not merely to improve graphics, but to allow us to design a more flexible simulation, which will allow us to add some of the features people have requested...

Martin

That is indeed great news we are looking forward to it. Happy new year 2005

I'm reminded of aircraft modeling in some of those recent shooter games. They look pretty, but they fly much too low and too slow, they're basically skeet shooting targets! In reality a straffing fighter would be little more than a dot on the horizon for 8/10ths of their 5 second overflight time. I actually prefer how the airplanes operate in CM.

How about horses ?

probably too complicated cause then you'd have to edit "green, reg., vet etc." plus how could you model bucking and whatnot and all that poop can lower morale and it would just get to "gamey" what with all the historically inacurate raids on corrales that would pop up in P vs P

forget horses