bog/immobilization and off-road performance

Question regarding bog/immobilization and off-road performance.

In some of the scenarios where weather plays a factor, and the AFV goes off-road there is a chance for bog/immobilization.

My question is … does the “chance” increase when traveling in “Fast” as opposed to “Move?”

Doe the same condition apply when trying to unbog?

Thanks in advance!

From what I've seen the speed the vehicle is going at definetely plays a factor in the liklihood of it to bog down. Like with a tank going 'fast' across snow, in my experience, it's more often than not 'if' the tank will bog down, but when. When going off road the safer route is of course to keep your tanks moving more slowly, though it's still no guarantee they won't get stuck. Stick to roads where you can in bad terrain. As for pulling itself out after it -has- bogged down, I'm not sure on that part. I think it's just a case of whether the crew is able to work her loose or not but somebody more practiced in that can definetely say for sure.

This subject has been covered a number of times in other threads. Somebody did some tests and I think that they proved that the speed of the vehicle makes no difference. It has something to do with the amount of time that the vehicle has been moving in terrain in which it might bog, rather than its speed. Incidently, it is possible for vehicles to bog and immobilise in any terrain (including pavement and road). The feature is apparently meant to cover mechanical failure and thrown tracks, as well as actual bogging, which is why vehicles can 'bog' on solid surfaces

Originally posted by FredKors:

Bogging

Was that thread for CMBO/CMBB/CMAK?

Has BFC changed the % of bog over the evolution of the games?

I routinely run King Tigers a fast speed through soft ground in deep mud without them bogging excessively.

I have run some pretty extensive tests on bogging myself and I'm thinking that bogging over all is undermodeled in the "bad" driving situations.

Also, bogging seems to be a bit backwards in relation to the vehicles affected most. HT's seem to bog the most, they should bog the least. Tanks should bog the most they bog the least. I haven't tested trucks. I have never seen a vehicle in reverse ever bog.

Just my $.02 worth.

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

Also, bogging seems to be a bit backwards in relation to the vehicles affected most. HT's seem to bog the most, they should bog the least. Tanks should bog the most they bog the least. I haven't tested trucks. I have never seen a vehicle in reverse ever bog.

Just my $.02 worth.

Why do you think this? Fully tracked vehicles are least prone to bogging because of the tracks - that's precisely why they have tracks. HTs, being half track (!) and half wheeled vehicle, should bog more often. Next would come vehicles with 8, 6, or 4 wheel drive, and last would be vehicles with 2 wheel drive, which includes most wwii era trucks.

Originally posted by Andrew H.:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panther Commander:

Just my $.02 worth.

Why do you think this? Fully tracked vehicles are least prone to bogging because of the tracks - that's precisely why they have tracks. HTs, being half track (!) and half wheeled vehicle, should bog more often. Next would come vehicles with 8, 6, or 4 wheel drive, and last would be vehicles with 2 wheel drive, which includes most wwii era trucks. </font>

Hmm, that's strange--I have had exactly the opposite experience. If ground conditions are muddy or worse, I am afraid to move tanks off-road at all, because if they move more than a couple of hundred meters they start bogging one by one. This is generally with early-war tanks rather than KTs, but you think they'd be better in mud rather than worse.

Thanks for all the info on my original question. For those that say the KT doesn't bog that often, play that Royal Tiger scenario that comes with CMBB. If you run those KTs off the roads, you're screwed.

That's been mye xperince with playing that scneario. Granted, it's a small sample size.

Anyway, that's what led to my question.

I would think that given two exact situations with the same AFV, and one going fact, and the other going "move" the chance for bog would be different. However, there is no clear answer.

Why isn't this in the manual? As an ASL grognard, I'd think it's important. :)

Thanks again!

Doc