* MOD Preview!!! *

This one's about 80% finished. It's pretty easy, actually, as the Soviet uniforms have a minimal amount of pockets and pleats and things. What's time-consuming is working up all the variations.

russkies.jpg

They're a little darker than the originals. I'm also experimenting with some different colors, representing, for example, the American lend-lease OD wool used in some uniforms. They look pretty good, but I'll also have to make a new set of Russian face BMPs to go with it because of the way the high collar is depicted.

More pix:

officer1.jpg

officer2.jpg

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the airborne BMPs... I decided to dress the naval infantry troops in regular army gymnastiorkas with navy shoulder boards and belt buckles as an alternative to the pea-coats and cool ammo belts in the originals. If anyone has any useful suggestions at this point let me know so I can incorporate them. smile.gif

Great Andrew, just what we need. I tried my hand at Russian uniforms myself but unfortunately gave up due to lack of time and talent :( Just makes me realise how much of a great job your uniforms are.

Any chance of modelling the rain cape? For me that's the big thing missing with Russian uniforms.

I think these ended up having a nice "Russian" feel to them (whatever that is smile.gif ) The rain cape will be an option, like with my winter uniforms, although it will be depicted as slung over the shoulder, as there is no way to alter the 3D model.

I could add a red star to the helmet, but last time I did that a knowledgable forum member pointed out that it was ahistorical so I dropped it. I could include it as an option for those who don't care about such things. In doing research for these I did come across what seemed to be credible photos of "original" Red Army helmets that did have either a solid or outlined red star on the front. Can anyone tell me why this isn't historical? I suspect it's a parade thing or a cheesy post-war add-on to give it that "commie" look, but I'm curious as to the real answer.

I doubt that it's something that would be worn in combat as I'm sure the big bright red star smack in the middle of a forehead would have made a dandy target. smile.gif

You can bet the family farm on it :D:D

However, in a few days you will have the knowledge to make your own CMMOS mods. I am working on a step by step guide providing my starter CMMOS files. Uniforms can be easy..well to make into a CMMOS mod that is.

MikeT

They do look good in-game. I should be done with them soon. smile.gif Actually, and I swear to god I'm not making this up, my wife could give birth to our first child any day now :eek: so if I don't finish these this evening then you all might be waiting for them awhile! :D

I plan on taking a couple weeks off of work, but I don't know how much modding time I'll have then. smile.gif

Early congratulations, Andrew!!! Enjoy your new little one once s/he arrives.

Thanks for all the CM modding work you've done. These uniforms look terrific. I guess you deserve a break since a newborn child probably ranks higher than CM.... :D

...but not until you get these Russian uniforms done, of course. ;)

Thanks! We're just waiting at this point: could be tonight, could be sometime next week. I have a funny feeling that sometime this weekend I'm going to become a dad smile.gif .

I'll try to get these finished tonight. There's not much to do but change the shoulder board colors. That and make camo outfits for the airborne. Maybe they'll be a separate release later.

ATF, this is your first kid?! I'm sure you're hearing plenty from your Friends, but it really is something you can't understand 'til your there. Now you'll get to exchange those secret knowing looks with other Parents. When you're stuck in the really Bad parts just remember that after you do get some sleep the Good parts will keep on getting deeper & richer. One of those corney but true things.

Oh, & I like the Unis.

strt