Anti-tank Rifles

Are anti-tank rifles worth anything? In a recent QB versus the AI, I had a Russian anti-tank rifle firing at a stationary Lynx from thirty-two meters. It hit six times, all on the right side. Two were ricochets and four were no serious damage. The Lynx then merrily rolled on its way.

In a scenario, I don't remember the name, I had a Russian AT rifle firing at a German halftrack from about forty meters. After several hits that did no damage, the HT backed away.

Other than wasting purchase points, what do AT rifles do for you?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AT rifles are worth gold, especially if you and your opponent are playing with infantry mix (lower armor cap). It's not likely, but the AT rifles can harm all German halftracks, and most of the armored cars.

And unlike AT guns, they're small, hard to detect, and can retreat quickly if they start receiving hostile fire. Your opponent will likely use light armored vehicles to lure your AT guns out of hiding; use the AT rifle against these.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention: AT rifles are also useful to keep enemy tanks buttoned.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

AT rifles are worth gold, especially if you and your opponent are playing with infantry mix (lower armor cap). It's not likely, but the AT rifles can harm all German halftracks, and most of the armored cars.

And unlike AT guns, they're small, hard to detect, and can retreat quickly if they start receiving hostile fire. Your opponent will likely use light armored vehicles to lure your AT guns out of hiding; use the AT rifle against these.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention: AT rifles are also useful to keep enemy tanks buttoned.

You must have had a lot more success with AT rifles than I. smile.gif

I absolutely LOVE AT rifles. Much has been written about them on this site, but I will briefly enumerate their virtues.

1. CHEAP

2. LOTS OF AMMO, and some even come with HE rounds, useful against soft targets.

3. EXTREMEMLY HARD TO SPOT.

4. THOUGH NOT DEADLY, THEY WILL KILL LIGHTLY ARMORED VEHICLES.

Against HTs, trucks, light tanks, MG carriers, they are fantastic. May cause crew to abandon. I have killed all of the above with AT rifles, especially as the Russians.

Against tanks they force the enemy to button up. For the Russians this is terribly important, especially in 41 and 42 when you're likely to have a lot of 2-man turret T-34s that have to button up to fire. Keeping enemy armor buttoned puts lessens your disadvantage in tank engagements. Also makes it harder for enemy tanks to spot your AT guns and infantry.

Originally posted by Sanok:

You must have had a lot more success with AT rifles than I. smile.gif

Yeah well... One time I scored some dozen penetrations on a German armoured car, found out after the match that it hasn't even suffered a scratch. :rolleyes:

But, like it others stated: the AT rifles are an excellent, economic choice when you want to harass your opponent, or hunt for his light armor.

I've knocked out a PZIVg (side penetration hit under 100 meters) and a stugIIIg (track hit and abandonment at 600 meters+) during MP. That being said, it's almost impossible to kill a tank from any range using AT rifles. Their value lies in the possibility of getting a gun hit and of destroying light armor. I think 1 AT rifle per platoon is perfectly reasonable.

the Soviet 7.63mm (.50 cal) does the job much better. and a light flak better still. they don't move as fast but have a much higher success rate.

for ATR's i echo the above. they are very stealthy & can dissuade light armour. although most people just take the risk. if you're going to use them use a lot. concentrate them against his recon assets. they shine against pillboxes as well.

Yes buy them >One of the best value weapons you can buy. I have had halftracks , armoured cars and a tank with them.

Great for spotting as they have binos , a range of 800 metres, and hide beautifully. Remember a hit on a tank is a hit , the tank crew cannot get out to examine the calibre so it could be a 45mm , a AA gun so it makes for nervous buttoned up crews --- and more importantly nervous commanders!!! : )

Oh and if you are bored tell it to shoot crewed weapons at range ...

I found AT rifles to be quite usefull in built-up areas and battles taking place in reduced visibility conditions. Especially on defense!

I have had good success using them to fire off a couple rounds at advancing armor, then retreating to cover and popping them up elsewhere to do it again. Combined with a sharpshooter to plink unbuttoned TC's makes them an ultimate annoyance weapon.

I once annoyed my opponent so much that he chose to withdraw and come again at a different approach to the town I was defending. They then ran right over a minefield which had been set up with an entrenched AT gun and MG covering it.

Anti Tank rifles are great but short range and lightly armour tanks and vehicles. But don't count on them to be your sole main method of taking out tanks.

The best thing about them is they are very hard to spot. Whenever I have soft skin vehicles and know there is an Anti Tank rifle team somewhere in the map, i freak out. They can remain hidden for a long time. I only see them effective from 100 m and under.

I hate anti-tank rifles! In fact, when I find an ATR team which is trying to surrender, the call for a flammenwerfer area fire goes out. Harsh? Yes, but only by the harshest treatment will the Soviet use of this criminal weapon be purged. The liberal use of this fiendish contrivance shows how desperate the Stalinist regime is.

In a recent op, I started with 2 halftracks, a pair of PSW 222 armored cars and an 8-wheeled 232. They were all knocked out by unspotted ATR fire at a range in excess of 500 meters. As was my 37mm PaK and my 75mm lIG. So you can see why my command considers use of this weapon as abrogating any laws of armed confict.

Regards,

Ken

Admittedly, if you're facing Panther the AT rifle will be useless, but so would half the available guns in your arsenal!

I think the tide turned for the usefulness of the AT rifle when in a CMBB patch you were finally able to supress non-armored targets like machine gun nests. Before the patch the AT rifleman would 'just say no' to soft targets. Sure, he never seems to actually hit anything but AT rifle fire will drive a mg nest or anti-tank gun to ground.