CMBB Strategy Guide (2nd Edition) Available Again via Direct2Drive

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2006

CMBB Strategy Guide available via Direct2Drive Download Service

While the original printed version is now out of print, we are pleased to announce the availability of a downloadable PDF version of the Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin Strategy Guide, 2nd Edition.

This .pdf version is now available for just $14.95 via direct download from Direct2Drive.

[ Order the downloadable version of the CMBB Strategy Guide, 2nd Edition here ]

Madmatt

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Madmatt:

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2006

CMBB Strategy Guide available via Direct2Drive Download Service

While the original printed version is now out of print, we are pleased to announce the availability of a downloadable PDF version of the Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin Strategy Guide, 2nd Edition.

This .pdf version is now available for just $14.95 via direct download from Direct2Drive.

[ Order the downloadable version of the CMBB Strategy Guide, 2nd Edition here ]

Madmatt

Could you guys have spent a little more time on this thing. I mean, $14.95 for a scanned black and white version of a fax?!?! And it looks like through either corruption of the base file, or due to the digital licensing kernal, the pdf file is corrupted so it cannot be exported to Pocket Reader.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm IT challenged but I've paid for it and been unable to download a file that I can read. Very frustrating. I've tried reading all the FAQs on Direct 2 Drive's website and (day's ago) contacting support. No reply as yet. First time I've bought an item like this and probabaly the last unles someone can help me out.

It may be my fault so I'm happy to listen to suggestions.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To be fair, the quality of the document is on par with most documents like this. The type face is clear and readable...which is what you want when you buy an electronic book. I do not think it is a scan of a fax. I think it is a scan of the proof pages or a fair-quality conversion from the original electronic document.

I dislike the Direct2Drive download service. I dislike their customer service...basically, there is nothing I like about Direct2Drive. What I dislike most is their licensing scheme. They license the software to you but you may only use it on one computer. I have multiple computers at home and I have a laptop for work. When I travel for work, I like to play games like CM series because you can get a couple of turns in on a flight or in the hotel. When I am at home, I may play in my office or downstairs while the kids are coloring or watching television. With less restrictive licensing, I can do this just fine. With a disk, I can move the CD from computer to computer; however, with Direct2Drive, I am licensed to only use the software on one computer.

Because I was just buying a "book" and it was "only" $15, I was willing to put my displeasure behind me, and I am happy with my purchase. I just hope that Battlefront continues to provide disk-based version of their software. If Battlefront decides to go to a ESD-only model, I hope they choose another or alternate provider. If they only use Direct2Drive, I will probably not buy any more of their software...which is a shame because they are so good...how often do you play games that are 4+ years old regularly?

Bob

Originally posted by J.R.:

Moon, would it be possible to post a page or two so we could evaluate the quality ourselves? It would save me a lot of bad feeling if I went and spent the money and found the quality unacceptable...

The strategy guide's page on the Direct2Drive site has four pages available for review. The quality of the images is representative of the quality of the entire document.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Madmatt,

While you're here, can you explain to me why, in the sea of data in the CMBB Strategy Guide, we're given

the armor penetration numbers for tanks and artillery pieces, but no firepower factor data for the HE rounds? Seems to me that's a worthwhile thing to know.

Regards,

John Kettler (print edition owner)

Hi,

Honest question here... is this book really going to have anything advantageous to a LONG time player of CMBB? I see that the tables give no more info than what is already given in the game. Does it really give any insight into how the mechanics of the game work?

Even though it's pretty inexpensive, I don't want to spend money on something that a very experienced player of the game cannot benefit from. I didn't see anything new in the few downloadable preview pages I saw.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Lt. Smash:

To be fair, the quality of the document is on par with most documents like this. The type face is clear and readable...which is what you want when you buy an electronic book. I do not think it is a scan of a fax. I think it is a scan of the proof pages or a fair-quality conversion from the original electronic document.

You can see the fax annotations in the corner of the page. It's a scan of a fax, period.

• 5 months later...

No ww2steel it doesnt. I recall being very disappointed when I rec'd it around 4 yrs ago. It is handy as far as looking up penetration and firepower data, but if they go this far, why not include the whole shabang....blast strength for HE rounds comes to mind as someone mentioned above.

The actual manual that came with cmbb yrs ago is awesome and a lot more useful...especially if youre an old hand already.

$15 for this and then you have to dl and print and bind....the price is too high for what you get.

I only learned one or 2 tips when reading originally i recall....one was to split a couple of SQ's and scout with them in advance so you dont risk too many men being surprised while performing recon.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd just like to add my two cents to this topic, and hopefully save someone a whole lot of frustration. I ordered a copy of the CMBB strategy guide through Direct2Drive as well, and have had a completely negative experience. It's no longer a simple .pdf download. They apparently now require you to use software called Adobe Digital Editions, and which so far I have been unable to get to work for me.

It has been three weeks now and I have still not been able to configure this software correctly so that I can actually read my book. Direct2Drive's customer support has been unable to help me and they directed me to contact Adobe's customer, who also has not been able to help me. I paid for this book, downloaded it to my computer three weeks ago, but due to some problem with activating the software, I can't actually open my book to read and/or print! It has been a very confusing and frustrating experience, and I hope Battlefront reconsiders who they use for similar services in the future.

That having been said, I've requested a refund and if anyone knows of a good place to try to purchase another version of this book, particularly the original printed version, I would be extremely grateful!