The other UK tournament - NOWT special !

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy I've just seen yr posting for the SEPTIC cup .... If you need a tournament place then as we probably wont get started for another 24 hours I'm sure we can fit you in .... let me know !

If Sandy is in we need 1 more player before we can begin, but I dont want to wait too much longer before I start calling on the standby places as I'm keen to get this started .... hopefully so are the rest of you !

1 place remaining - open to all levels and ALL of the UK.

(Edited from 2 places to 1 assunimg Sandy is still interested - nearly there guys)

Lou2000

[ February 24, 2003, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Lou,

Have you thought of what to do in the event of a draw? I suppose the in the case of a 51-49 draw the game could go to the highest scoring player, but what about a 50-50 draw? My own suggestion, if no-one can think of any thing better, would be that it's decided on the toss of a coin by a neutral party - it works for the FA Cup smile.gif .

Nestor you have your place !

That means we could have all places filled ... I'm just waiting to hear from Sandy.

I've been thinking about a couple of additional rules etc. Not sure about a draw situation.. im open to suggestion from players.

As the scoring will be done not just on the percentage value but on all the points for flags/enemies killed / captured etc it is unlikely that even a 50/50 will be exactly even in the points .......

Even if there is only 1 point in it ( I could be wrong here though) - So any suggestion from you guys on how you want to handle a draw situation .. let hear them !

Also any suggestions on how you want to play it should anybody need to withdraw for any reason...

1. Call in a standby ! ( a bit unfair to others in the knockout )

2. Promote the next highest scoring player from that team

3. Any other ideas ... though hopefully we'll all be in it for the full duration

4. Everybody surrenders and I proclaim myself overall winner ;) (about the only way I'll actually win) :D:D

Lou2000

Originally posted by Sergeant Pepper:

:mad:

Knew i shouldn t of gone out all weekend LOL

missed the bus ,i ll wait for the next 3 .

hope all goes well ill b keeping me eyes on it the winner should play the winner of the southern though.

;)

PS im off for a pint of bitter lol

Regards

J Lad

Sergeant Pepper ....... If I dont hear from Sandy or if he doesnt want the place then it's yours.

Sandy - - the clock it ticking..... get in touch if you are interested ... ( I know there is a timezone issue at the moment )

================================================

Im hoping to put the final list up tonight or very early tomorrow.

Each player has already been given a random number between 1 and 16. I am going to get somebody neutral to match random numbers up against team places (blue1 = 5 etc) and these will be used to decide the first round games.

In the first round ODD team numbers will do the setup AND play AXIS ... so its luck of the draw and means50% of each team will be Axis and 50% Allied.

From then on its highest points from the previous round gets to choose.

For the final its the player from the team with the highest points ..... or if both players are from the same team then the highest points from the previous round will come into play again.

The rules for a draw have yet to be finalised ... but an additional playoff or shoot-out could add a bit of a delay due to being PBEM, depending upon how many turns people could manage in a day.

So we may have to look at individual or team points ... or a combo of both ... I'm still open to suggestions here !

Can everybody ensure that contact details are available .... either correct on yr profile .... or email me direct with the email address you want to use for the game (SteveS I have yours). Can those with different email addresses make sure they contact their opponent once you know who you are playing.

I'll get an email out to everybody shortly with a round up of the rules as they stand and also include yr random number ... so you dont think im cheating ;)

If anybody wants to post screenshots of their gamp maps (similar to the ones in the SEPTIC thread) I can put them up on my webspace and send you a link if required. AAR's (even limited ones)are welcome but not mandatory.

Any questions ... now is the time to ask !

NOWT here

Im hoping to update the info here when the teams are known and when the points start coming in.

Lou2000

Originally posted by Prester John:

I am in the SEPTIC cup as well, so i will offer my place in the NOWT to an eligible player without a tourney to cheer them up smile.gif

Steve

Pester John you are a true gent ....... smile.gif

Sergeant Pepper say thank you to Pester John as you are now IN ...... and that makes 16 :D

Also can you email me so I can get details out to you regarding the first round games.

Lou

[ February 24, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

The NOWT Special Tournament.

Player List:

SteveS

Lou2000

Wesreidau

Apache

Firefly

Mr Kain

Mark Gallear

Athkatla

Mr Byte

Garry Barr

justin5471

Jiggles

CSH Hollis

Nestor

Sandy

Sergeant Pepper (still to confirm but im assuming he wants in)

We had a bit of juggling to sort out the last couple of slots and thanks to Pester John I think we have managed to give everybody a game who is not already involved in another tournament. (go on somebody prove me wrong)

Gents you should have an email inbound any time now with a number chosen at random (not in the order listed above).

These will be matched up against team places to decide the first round matches. Hopefully these will be posted shortly.

I have all email addresses except Sgt Pepper's

Once again .... in the first round once the team positions have been posted .... ODD numbers will play AXIS and do the setup.

The setup for the first round games can be found HERE . Try not to change anything like map size or points etc as this will have a bearing on how many points are available. (You can get more points in a 5000pt game on a huge map than a 750pt, tiny map).

We're off ! smile.gif

Lou2000

[ February 24, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Thanks Rex .........

OK gents here is the breakout of the draw...

==============================================

Blue 1 = Mr Byte Vs Yellow 1 = Jiggles

Blue 2 = Mr Kain Vs Yellow 2 = Firefly

Blue 3 = Apache Vs Yellow 3 = Gary Barr

Blue 4 = Sandy Vs Yellow 4 = SteveS

Green 1 = Lou2000 Vs Red 1 = CSM Hollis

Green 2 = Justin5471 Vs Red 2 = Nestor

Green 3 = Athkatla Vs Red 3 = Wesreidau

Green 4 = Mark Gallear Vs Red 4 = Sergeant Pepper

==============================================

Just realised I'll have to change who does the 1st round setup ....as Blue 1 Vs Yellow 1 obviously doesnt need 2 setups redface.gif (Doh!)

So lets make it..........

Blue 1 & 3

Green 1 & 3

Yellow 2 & 4

Red 2 & 4

Do the setup ..... That also means that SteveS can have a set-up waiting for Sandy when he returns on Friday.

=============================================

Game Settings:

Date: August 1942

Region: North

Force Mix: Combined Arms/Combined Arms Nationality: German/Soviet

Type: Mechanised/Mechanised

Quality: Medium / Medium

Purchase: Allow Human/Allow Human

Fitness: Fit / Fit

Casualties: 10% / 10%

Ammunition: Full/Full

Sewer: Allowed / Allowed

Type: Meeting Engagement

Size: 1500 points

Map: Medium

Handicap: None

Rarity: Standard

Time: Dawn

Temperature/Weather: Random

Length: 30 Turns Variable

Map: Farmland

Trees: Moderate

Hills: Modest

Damage: None

Extreme FOW

I've still not had a full confirmation from Sgt Pepper (Red 4) - but with luck he'll see this and contact myself and Mark !

Does everybody have what they need to continue ?

Lou

P.S CSM Hollis ... expect the setup sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Gary, let me know when U R ready and I'll send you the set up (I'm Blue 3).

None of that sneaky flanking stuff this time :D Perhaps we can suspend starting our other PBEM until this is underway (unless I find cartloads of time available).

[ February 24, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Gents,

Now we are underway I have a bit of news...

When I started this I said the winner would have achieved NOWT Special ... well that is no longer true.

Apache has VERY generously offered up a prize for the winner.

You are now battling it out to be the proud owner of a brand new paperback copy of ...

'Barbarossa 1941: Hitler's Invasion of Russia' - David M. Glantz.

075241979X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(Not sure if that pic is the exact cover of the version to be won .. but it gives you an idea)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Now Apache is either very generous, very drunk or extremely confident of winning :D Either way I think a big thanks is in order.

Now our ultimate victor may already have a copy ..... I'm sure you'll all agree that you couldnt expect an alternate prize !

I will arrange delivery to the winner through Apache

Thanks Apache

Lou2000