Is it possible to invade North America?

I don't understand why there are US hexes on the map. Surely even a Germany victorious in Europe wouldn't be able to ship an invasion force all the way across the Atlantic and hope to succeed!

Wouldn't the extra hexes would have been better used in North Africa?

While it has been hinted at that you can attempt an invasion USA... I think that the major purpose of having US hexes is so the US can build units there. The US (and Canada) then has to ship its units safely overseas IIRC. W/O US and Canada hexes, it would be lacking IMO.

As Originally posted by vonManstein39

I don't understand why there are US hexes on the map. Surely even a Germany victorious in Europe wouldn't be able to ship an invasion force all the way across the Atlantic and hope to succeed!

Imagine if you will -- expenditure of MPPs for an (... utterly unsuspected) invasion in 1941!

Just how many USA units can be summoned for the defense?

And, have you counted up all those MPPs in America?

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

While it has been hinted at that you can attempt an invasion USA... I think that the major purpose of having US hexes is so the US can build units there. The US (and Canada) then has to ship its units safely overseas IIRC. W/O US and Canada hexes, it would be lacking IMO.

Exactly, and in using this design it does then by default allow an invasion of the USA and/or Canada, but it's not to say that it would be very easy to do so.

tongue.gif

Possible, and realistic, only if the game models the perfusion of arms among the ordinary civilians of America. Damn near everybody was profficient with a rifle back then (teach it in the boy scouts). Huge militia could be mustered very quickly had that happened.

BB,

The spearhead would move on to Canada and then back to reinforce the Eastern Front.

Sure, you would need the guts of a cat-burglar, and it would depend on another factor -- has Britain been neutralized, either with bombing, or having to reinforce the Med, due to Italian success in the naval wars.

It's just that... all those stacks of factories and mines and oil wells -- it's too tempting?

After Holland surrendered in 1940, the US went from having the 17th largest army in the world to the 16th largest...so if the Wehrmacht had kept going from France to Spain to Portugal across the Atlantic...well, maybe not.

Alternatively, what happens to Canada if Britain is conquered? Does it become an enemy of the US? Does it become neutral, and hence something the US might want to invade for additional production? Hmmmm.

As originally posted by Andrew Hedges

After Holland surrendered in 1940, the US went from having the 17th largest army in the world to the 16th largest...so if the Wehrmacht had kept going from France to Spain to Portugal across the Atlantic...well, maybe not.

I suspect that gamers are of two minds.

1) Playing the game with the historical events and outcomes in mind. This can interfere with the purely pragmatic and strategic goals that are possible -- with the particular game that you are playing.

2) The second mind decides at some point that -- the hell with what happened, let me look around and see what can be done with THIS GAME.

When you look at the large map, you cannot help but notice where the valuable icons are -- the mines and the oil wells.

How to get them (so to further your game ambitions) and what would it take in terms of unit-power to do so?

With PBEM or even FoW, you might very well have the opportunity to accomplish some of your secret strategies -- thus, the glory of WHAT IF? gaming.

In SC, I'll bet that all of us can imagine a secret strategy -- that personal conceit, which, if realized, will make a good game -- Great :cool: , at least in our minds.

We'll soon see if the tendency to adhere to historical aura overwhelms our private ambitions.

Indeed. If one has played both sides back and forth with all historically plausible strategies, then one is beginning to look for the impudent - something like the actual invasion of Norway.

I remember in COS attacking Russia once directly after the Polish campaign. Though strategically ridiculous, that game was quite interesting. I lost, just as I should have ... smile.gif

Straha

[ May 04, 2002, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]